Might Be The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but The Times Sure Aren't!! : World Jrs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AragornElessar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That's right my fellow Hockey fans here in Canada. Those us in Ontario are looking at a 4AM EST start time tomorrow morning.

I thought the Royal Wedding coverage start time was bad...YIKES!!!

I'll still at the very least get up and turn the TV on for it...And then likely fall back to sleep. :D

I do know this. PK Subban's brother will be in Goal tomorrow in Russia. No wondering who he's related to. All you have to do is look at him. Eerie it is!!

So....(You do know what's coming next, right?)

GO CANADA GO!!! GO GET EM BOYS!!!

:D :D

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I can make it up for 4am cause I was dealing all day yesterday with a very sick daughter -- temp spiked to 38.9C (that's over 102F), she was emptying from both ends. It all began before 6am and I didn't make it to bed til midnight. Up this morning by 8, working on dinner from 9 til 2, quick shower then a bit of a "rest" checking things for shopping tomorrow. Served up dinner by 5 and then cleaning up from 6 til almost 7. Yeppers, feeling all of my 55 years of age.
    Soooo, if I'm not there in person, my spirit will be there cheering on our boys!

Go Canada Go!!!

3. AragornElessar

Either I'm a really big hockey fan (I am), really missing regular hockey to actually care about (Oh how I do) or just plain nuts to be up this early for a hockey game (Not entirely out of the realm of possibility), but not only am I up, but I am up AND wearing my Team Canada hoodie that's about two sizes too big for me I got for Christmas three years ago (Oh, but it's warm and snuggly and BIG *and* warm).

And which I more than likely will end up at some point while watching this game falling asleep in.

But that's okay and you know why?

Because it's World Jrs time Baby!! :D :D :D

Sigh...Dear Lord I need sleep....Can you tell?

4. professordeb

Well if it's any consolation, I didn't get much sleep last night again. This time it was son who was ill but with one exception, all he did was have coughing spells but since I thought it was more, I constantly woke up or just stayed awake. Then at 6ish he was up again, so I just stayed up and we "watched" the final 16 minutes of the game. Rather, HE watched it and I would drift back to the living room to see how things were going while checking on him, trying to make a cup of tea for me and taking care of breakfast for the dogs.

Didn't get a nap this afternoon either .. le sigh .. and I fear my eyes are going to be blurry and sore yet again tonight. Thank goodness Canada doesn't play til Friday - I think? Ahhhhh, I'm soooo confused.

Regardless, seemed like the boys had a much better game today. Found some scoring, Subban didn't do too bad a job considering he was nervous (his words, not mine).

To make it seem even more like winter here, we have been getting snow at about 1 cm/hour for the last 4 hours and it doesn't show much sign of slowing down for a while. Weather report suggests we will get between 5-10 cm of the stuff here. So glad we did our Boxing Day shopping this morning. Didn't go to the stores when they first opened but found all that we wanted. Bonus was I found an old Futureshop gift card from Boxing Day last year that still had $100 on it so used that to get the external hard disk drive son was hoping to have to store his movies. He was hoping for maybe a 500 GB but we got a 2 Terabyte for 99.99 for him. SURPRISE!!!

5. AragornElessar

Just checked the TSN app on my iPod Touch and yes, next game's Friday at 4am and against Slovakia.

The Russians got away w/a close one and beat Slovakia in OT. Apparently they didn't really play that well until the 3rd Period. Didn't see the game, but that's what was being said on the various recaps of today at the World Jrs that I saw said.

Poor Finland though. Did you see the video of that player many were calling their Best Player? The hit was perfectly legal, but due to the way his one leg was positioned at when it happened, his ankle broke. I've seen it once and that's *all* I want to see of it too. And apparently Sweden's more like Team Walking Wounded, as Gord Miller was saying they've lost three or four (can't remember now) players and they don't even play until a few hours from now.

BTW...USA's first game is on TSN and TSN2 later today at 9am EST. In case you're interested in seeing something from the World Jr's at a far more decent time of the morning. ;)

6. professordeb

The Findland player's hit -- was that by a Canadian in the couple games played before the teams all went to Russia? If so, I saw it in replay. Some said it was clean, others that it was late and hence the 3 game suspension. If it's a different hit from another game then nope, did not see it and don't wish to see it either.

Doubtful I will be up to see the Team Canada game on Friday morning but may watch a replay of it later. With how poorly I am sleeping, there's just no way I can to a 4am start. I go to bed early but I'm a light sleeper and the rest of my family are more like night hawks and keep me awake. Le sigh ... they just don't seem to understand that it is WORLD JUNIORS TIME.

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Are any of you watching the Spengler Cup? TSN is showing it as well, at much better times than the World Juniors! Great game today between Canada and Davos.
    As mad as I am at the NHL and the NHLPA, I'm loving having hockey back on my TV.

8. AragornElessar

No, not the same hit at all and I agreed w/the suspension. Boone left his feet and that's a Major No No, so in turn he got what he deserved.

This happened yesterday during Finland's first game in the Tourney. I've now heard he's not only done for the World Jr's, but also this Season w/the team he plays for in the Finnish League. What a shame and I hope the surgery goes well for him.

9. AragornElessar

I am Habs. That was pretty entertaining hockey this afternoon and one of those games that the score is slightly deceiving about.

I'm w/you. As ticked off as I am w/the two groups (Actually I'm more ticked off w/the Slimeball that is Bettman than the NHLPA. I've looked at the various offers put out by both sides and the NHLPA has been more than fair. Combine that w/the utter stupidity that is Bettmann/Owners not wanting the respective contracts made before this year to be carried over/honoured like in the rest of the real World and demanding it's their way or no way and... Yeah. I'm more than a bit more peeved w/Bettmann and Cronies. Anyway...), I am delighted to see hockey on my TV again!! :D :D :D

10. professordeb

I have been trying to remember the Spengler Cup is also taking place and by the time I remember it's on -- the game is over :( Good thing there's the internet where I can find out how things are progressing.

Count me in as another that is glad we have NHLers playing somewhere.

As for Bettmann -- send the idiot back to his beloved basketball. He has made such a mess of the NHL and hockey in general that I can't stand the man. Add to that, just about every picture taken of him lately seems to show his cockiness and his superiority complex showing through -- I'd be glad to see him shipped off to Siberia along with some owners as well.

ETA: I've now watched most of the game of Canada vs Slovakia and my thoughts regarding the 5 minute penalties.
    The first was definitely contact to the head but I would not say it warranted a five minute penalty and a game suspension if I were watching it happen anywhere but in a game played under IIHF rules. Even with that, I think 5 was still a bit much.
    As for the second 5 minute penalty -- that was totally a reaction to the fact that the Slovakian player didn't get up off the ice. I'm glad that it seemed he was going to be OK -- at least that seemed to be the saying during the game and that they took him to the hospital as a precaution. I think the refs had it right in their initial thought -- a good clean check by a players onto another who was busy skating with his head down. First rule of hockey is never, ever, NEVER play with your head down cause you can't see what's coming. Stupid play by the young man. When a ref initially tells players that it was a clean hit, then confers with the other zebras to see what they can call to placate "someone", I have a problem with such. Either it's a penalty or it's not. It should never, ever, NEVER be based upon the fact that someone appears to be hurt. Adding insult to injury? A Canadian wears a high stick to the chin and he's bleeding but since he got up quickly from his injury it's only a two minute rather than at least a double minor. Blood almost ALWAYS results in at least a double minor and more often a major -- at least at the many games I've attended or watched. If the reffing has to be this incompetent, at least it should be called incompetently both ways. When it only seems to be one way, I have a problem with it.
    Subban -- had a couple of bad goals in, one where he was screened. Seems a bit scrambly at times but did come up with some good saves. Not sure if he's good enough to get us a gold medal should we get that far but time will tell.
    So in the final scheme of things, we will be down to 11 forwards for our game against the U.S. and Boone won't be back for that game either. Guess we will see the character of this team during their two games this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  11. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like a LOT of our Canadian friends are watching the WJC, as despite the early hour, the TV ratings are through the roof!

Was sorry to see the USA go down to a good Russian team this morning. But I was not impressed with Nail Yakupov. Sorry Oiler fans, Yakupov is going to need some seasoning before he can help the big club.

12. professordeb

Yakapov may have been believing his own press when he was quote as how he was going to be the moral compass for his team against the "dirty/gritty -- depending upon the interpretation" Canadians. I am guessing that he forgot he still needs to play the game as a member of his TEAM and not as just an individual? I wonder what his thoughts were about the member of team U.S.A. considering they tend to play the same style as team Canada. Not only that, I believe there are a number of players from the CHL who are playing on various other European teams. I wonder how he feels about that! Guess we won't find out as he's not talking anymore. Someone put a muzzle on him perhaps? :p

13. AragornElessar

Okay...A few things...

Malcolm Subban...To quote a certain HNIC Broadcaster from Newfoundland....OH BABY!!!! Thank you showing up and showing us the hype wasn't just that. What. A. GAME!!! Especially during the last half of the 3rd. And that save of the Tourney so far w/no stick and still managing to keep the puck out of the net...Wow!!

The second goal...If that thing of beauty isn't on the Plays of the Week, then something's wrong. Gorgeous pass and Beauty goal!!

Overal discipline of the Team...Well done Lads!! For the most part, they weren't suckered into any rinky dinky stupid penalties and there were a couple that were questionable, but IMO they did a great job today keeping their cool.

Speaking of discipline...

What the HELL w/Team USA? If I'm right, the majority of their penalties came from headhunting and those from about half way through the Second and then on. The rest of them were simply stupid. Not that Head Hunting isn't stupid, but you know what I mean...Such as the one where the one player, rightly I may add, got nailed for taking Subban's legs out from under him.

Me thinks USA Hockey Brass is not a happy bunch over in Russia right now.

As for not happy...How on in the name of all that's Holy in Hockey did we fart away those PP's? Oh...I forgot...They kept passing...And passing....And Passing...AND PASSING!!! Yes, we won the game, but to me, that's something that's just not acceptable. I get passing here and there, but for some reason we've gotten into this mentality of shoot only if the moment's right and nine times out of ten if you shoot it on net, things will happen.

See : Crosby, Sidney : Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Gold Medal Game : Overtime : Golden Goal

So there are things to work on before tomorrow's big game and it is indeed a big game. The winner of tomorrow's Canada vs Russia wins the Group and in turn, wins the bye to the Semi Finals.

I just Thank the HockeyGods it's on at an honest to God decent time morning wise tomorrow. If three 4AM mornings to watch live coverage from Russia is this bad, how bad is it going to be a year from February!?!

And I am now off to collapse...But it's going to be a happy collapse!!!

One more thing though...

If they do this to me tomorrow, I'll board a flight to Russia and kill them!!! ;) :D

*Now* I'm off to bed.

14. professordeb

Hey AE!!! Where are ye? Did you see the game this morning of Canada vs Russia? Can I just say :HA!: to a certain Nail who is playing for Russia. He was apparenlty "misinterpreted" when he called Canadians "dirty players" and who get the five minute major, game misconduct with a possible suspension -- a Russian player. As a result of that penalty, Canada scored two power play goals on their way to a good win. Subban didn't have a lot of work to do quite often, but made a couple of outstanding plays -- including the one where he faced a penalty shot which would have got the Russians to within one goal. Instead, Subban stoned him, then had a bit of a celebration.
    Great to see all 13 forwards available to play. Boooooooone was baaaaaaack and it was wonderful. As one of the TSN guys said, Boone looked like a men amongst boys out there sometimes. RNH continues to stay atop the points board for the tournament. Head coach looks like he knows what he's doing, putting a 17 year old up on the first line and he produces. Canada looking better every game -- just what the coaches are wanting from them.
    The day off tomorrow will give the boys a bit of a chance to get a breather before the semi-finals.

Also, congrats to Team USA who walloped Team Slovakia this morning.

15. AragornElessar

I'm here. Sort of.

Oh yes, I watched the game and it was nice to cheer on the boys w/out worrying about waking anyone up this morning. However, considering i got a decent night's sleep last night, I couldn't figure out why I was so wiped out this morning. So laid down for a little while and...From when I woke up at 3 to take my first dose of pain meds I"m on, I had to run to the bathroom and have been pretty much beating a track from it to here in my room and back upstairs every so often ever since.

What a way to see out 2012 and bring in 2013... :(

At least New Year's Eve started out perfectly and what an awesome game by the boys. They even managed to keep from passing the puck around too much *and* scored on a PP. And Malcolm Subban just keeps on going strong.

W/them not playing tomorrow, I hope the Team has fun tonight celebrating New Year's in Russia, which I'd love to experience just once in my lifetime. I understand it's a bit bigger Holiday than Christmas is from Russian friends I've made in the LOTR Fandom and just sounds like a lot of fun. At least w/the Bye, the Team doesn't have to worry about not overdoing it because they've got the day off tomorrow. :)

And Congratulations to Team Canada : Spengler Cup Champions 2012!!! I just wish I could have watched the game. There were some beyond gorgeous goals scored and so happy for them.

Now if I could just find out how the girls are doing at their World Jrs, I'd be all caught up w/the doings in the World of Hockey outside the NHL for today. :D

eta ~Just checked Hockey Canada's home page and the girls don't play until tomorrow's third Prelim Game against Germany. Wish them luck.

I also saw this Tweet from Simon Gagne to a certain team mate on the World Jr's Team...

:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  16. professordeb

I was watching the final period of the Spengler Cup today. Awesome to hear O Canada and watch the Canadian players -- well most of them anyway -- get their "gold" medals compared to the couple of Canadian guys who were playing for Davos -- Thornton being one of them. Sorry, but I find it funny that a few Canadians weren't playing for Team Canada. Just kind of tickles my funny bone.

Regarding the World Juniors for the girls -- if you mean the U-18, here's a link
    Team Canada won their game yesterday (Sunday) 4-0 over Findland and are now 2-0-0-0 in their group. They play again on Tuesday the first against Germany who are 0-0-0-2.
    Hope that catches you up :D

On another note, sorry to hear you are battling not only pain but having to make numerous treks to the bathroom. Indeed, it is not a very nice way to end 2012 and begin 2013.

17. Lil Sarah

Lil Sarah Member

I thought this was funny at first too, but then my brother explained it to me. To play in the Spengler Cup you have to be:

- playing regularly in Europe (which is why some of the NHLers are in it this year)
    - if a player's regular team has a team in the tournament they must play for them (this is why Thorton etc, had to play for Davos)
    - the players on Team Canada were all playing in Europe, but their specific teams were not in the tournament, hence they can play for Canada

I hope that makes sense? It is pretty funny though :) Go Canada :)

I can't wait to see the rest of the World Juniors. I know there needs to be rest days, but I am impatient

18. professordeb

Thanks for clearing up what it takes to be able to play in the Spengler Cup. However, if there had not been a lockout, then Thornton and company wouldn't have even been over there at all, let alone playing for a team that wasn't representing Canada. Still tickles my funny bone.

World Juniors -- it will seem like a long wait to see Team Canada again but I may turn the TV on and check out the scores of the quarter-finals if only to see the scores.

Go Canada Go!!

19. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

While this is true, I cut Thornton some slack because he has very strong ties to HC Davos. He played there during the last lockout, met his wife there, and they spend most of their summers there. Every year, he trains with HC Davos before going back to San Jose for the season.

20. AragornElessar

I also cut Joe slack for playing for Davos, as it's pretty well known in my area too as he played for the Greyhounds during his Jr days. If you play for the Hounds or the Wolves, you're always going to be an adopted Northeastern Ontarian. :D

All I can say about that game yesterday is...Yeash!! Bad doesn't even come close and it wasn't Subban's fault either. If your own Defencemen keep standing around right in front of you, then the other team will take advantage of that gifted screen.

Sigh...The other Semi though....Holy WOW!!! Now that was one heck of a game. I hope both Medal games are of that caliber tomorrow morning our time.

21. professordeb

So glad I will NOT be getting up to watch any hockey tomorrow morning. I will simply get up at my usual time of around 7ish and then check a laptop to see the score of the game. Then I'll decide if I want to watch highlights let alone the game. If we win, I'll watch; if we lose -- well at least I still have lots of local Jr B & Jr C hockey games to see.

22. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Team USA on their win. Well deserved IMO. And their goalie Gibson is MVP and seemingly well on his way to Anaheim to play with the Ducks.

23. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Disappointing for Team Canada. However, as an Oilers fan, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing both RNH and Yakupov being named players of the game.