Midnight in Paris - new from Woody Allen

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ebayj, May 31, 2011.

1. ebayj

ebayj New Member

A stunning film - set in one of my favorite cities. Well worth you time - will probably show in the art houses first - as it just opened on May 20 in NY/LA/SF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_in_Paris

One of Woody Allen's best efforts in a very long time. Plus a total all star cast.

2. Jolie

Jolie blobsessing

I totally agree, loved this movie too! It's pure genius, and Paris is sooo beautiful! :watch:

3. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I have to see this one, the trailer caught my attention and I confess my partiality to films starring Owen Wilson. I have to wonder though when it will be released in the butt of Europe.

4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I don't know what the butt of Europe is, but this film has been released in France two weeks ago.

OTOH have no idea who Owen Wilson is. :shuffle:

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

First half is BORINNNNNNNNNG to death, but the other half is really fantastic. And the landscape of Paris is nice too :)

6. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

That was my joke because I live in Portugal and usually it's one of the last european countries to release movies, I checked IMDB and there was no date, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Owen Wilson is the guy in the poster, he also played in Zoolander, Marley and Me, Wedding crashers, and a bunch of other comedies.
    Owen Wilson on IMDB

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Looking forward to seeing this. I saw the preview when I went to the independent theater the other day.

8. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this. It's not coming to my local art theatre for another two weeks.

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I am not an Owen Wilson fan & it always boggles my mind that he is cast as the romantic love interest. He seems like more the ugly sidekick type.

10. Stefanie

It wouldn't be the crooked nose, would it? ;) :scream:

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

May drag hubby to see this if you guys like it so much. He proposed to me in Paris so my soft spot for Paris is extra soft. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I saw this yesterday and loved it! I probably laughed more in Vicky, Christina, Barcelona, but this one is has a wonderful charm and is a lot of fun.

13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

If Woody Allen suddenly used a tall and handsome romantic type we would all die of shock after all the "heros" he (Woody Allen) played himself.

Sorry, I used to love his films years ago but he has annoyed me for quite a while.

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

An Allen film in Paris set in two different eras...enough for me.

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the lone voice of dissent, but I was never a fan of Woody Allen flicks going back to the beginning of his career. After all the crap that went down when he was fcuking his step-daughter along with the fallout cemented my disgust with the man.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Cyn, I don't respect a lot of authors, writers and actors whose work I admire, starting with Hemingway all the way to Woody Allen. Dostoyevsky was an anti-semite but I just can't give him up. So was Agatha Christie, at least before WWII. Lots of talented people also happen to be asshats. Picasso was no picnic but I love his Blue period. And so on.

I agree on one thing: until recently Woody Allen films seemed to be all one long movie about neurotic Jews living in NYC. But he's branched out, that's for sure. :D

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

The difference of the case of Woody Allen is that unlike with a writer, you have to watch him and listen to his endless blah blah blah all about HIM and HIMSELF in many of his movies. So that makes it difficult to forget who he is.

18. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

:lol:

Even he couldn't ruin "Annie Hall" or "Manhattan" though.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I just ignore those particular movies. :p

20. Stefanie

I happened to see this last night while I was visiting NYC, and I really enjoyed it. He made Owen Wilson almost endearing to me, which is no easy task. :)

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I saw this last night and liked it, but didn't love it. I thought the Rachel McAdams character was pretty bad. Almost a caricature. I had a hard time understanding why Owen Wilson's character ever had gotten together with her.

It also was really odd hearing Woody Allen's words and speaking patterns coming out of Owen Wilson's mouth. :lol:

But, I did think it was funny, especially the parts where he went back in time and met all those characters. I probably would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been so long since I'd read Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc. and remembered more about that perioda and the literary and artistic characters, but I was still able to get most of the references.

BTW, for those who can't stand the sight of Woody Allen, he's not on screen in this movie.

22. Stefanie

^This is [one of then reasons] why I loved VickyCristinaBarcelona so much. :)

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Saw the movie and loved it.

I thought the movie had an important message - We tend to live in the past / reflect on the past admiringly because we find the present boring, but the day-to-day in the past was boring, too. We just forget about that in a fit of nostalgia [hope that made sense]

24. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Maybe not for you... :shuffle:

I'm with Cyn about Woody Allen, although I did find "Sleeper" and parts of "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex" funny ("You've been a naughty rabbi").

I feel about him as I do Roman Polanski.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

ITA. His name alone may make me not want to see this movie.

OTOH Woody Allen's name should trump all the other names, which means I should see this movie, but can I tolerate Owen Wilson for 2 hours?

26. Stefanie

You can, trust me! I didn't think I could. :)

27. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Ditto

To me the issue is Allen and Polanski are still alive, so every time you see their movies, they are financially rewarded.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Am I missing something? I seem to be a lot better informed on the Polanski affair, thanks in no small part to the rigorous dissection of the matter here on FSU.

IIRC, Woody Allen..um..dated and married his own step daughter, which is IMO very creepy. But did he break the law? I honestly don't remember the details.

29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone knows how old she was when their relationship changed from a father/daugher type relationship to a sexual/romantic relationship, but he definitely was still with Mia when it happened, and she grew up with him in that father-type role. But, I don't think the concern about inappropriate sexual conduct was limited to Soon yi. I think there also were questions about sexual misconduct with his children, and I seem to remember that he couldn't be with them unsupervised. So, who knows what illegalities occurred, but really, really creepy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:scream: