Michigan hospital sued over 'No African American Nurse for a baby- father's request'

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Feb 20, 2013.

1. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Most ED physicians don't have admitting privileges. They can tell a consultant (in this case a Pediatrician) that they have a patient they feel needs admission, but they need someone to accept the patient as an inpatient, admit them, and take over their care.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This. Plus insurance can refuse to allow admittance. This happened to me over the objections of my doctor once.

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

The patient was not the father.

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

This is true but the father was the speaker for the patient. So if the father says "no AA nurses for my baby" the staff has to act as if the baby said it.

Again, that doesn't mean they have to accede to the request. But they have to treat it like a request from the patient, whatever that means for their own protocols.

5. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Sometimes in life you have to make hard choices. It's not the hospital's problem that he chooses to stay somewhere where he doesn't like his fellow citizens.

6. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Haven't read all the threads but I understand the nurse being upset. (Also agree the Nazi probably likes the attention. Scary.). However, deserving a ton of cash from the hospital/health care system (or their insurer) may be a different issue. Personally seen similar things happen in care related professions, not just about skin color, but maybe religion, mobility (handicapped) and of course AGE.

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

But it IS the hospital's problem that they had to deal with this situation -- that ultimately erupted into a mess. It is very much the hospital's problem, the nurse's problem, and the community-at-large's problem. The hospital may very well have to deal with a similar situation in the future. Do you honestly think if this one guy moves to some hypothetical all-white community that such a situation will never present itself again? Not all white folks are neo-nazis. Some white folks even have racially-mixed children. Some even adopt children from other countries, such as China, and are church-going and tolerant. This guy would be hard-pressed to find a community of individuals who agreed entirely with his point-of-view and prejudices. And that goes for anyone, anywhere.

Banishment is not the answer. We live in a diverse, integrated society. Open dialogue is a good start. And, although I'm sorry to see anyone hurt by this situation, I do see positives that will come from it, including this dialogue, the hospital's review of its policies, and wider attention and debate. All of these things will hopefully contribute to other people and facilities making better choices in the future.

O-

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:respec: This one...

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The father made what many of us see as an unreasonable request. Let's say a patient in the hospital was only willing to pay for semi-private room but requested a private room anyway. If the hospital said no, there would be no issue. Request received, request denied. It's so simple.

I have been in a similar situation. When I first went to work for the phone company in 1982 I was asked by a black coworker to take over a call she had started. The reason - the customer didn't want their business handled by a black person. I didn't want to take over the call but at that time the precedence had been established that if a customer asked, we would comply & I was specifically told by my supervisor to do it. And there were a lot of customers who asked. I only did it a couple of times, then I couldn't handle it anymore. It made me sick. So I pushed for a policy change & I made it clear that if I took over a call I would lecture/try to shame the caller, which I did a time or two. Several customers called my supervisor & complained. I knew I could lose my job over it but I knew if I didn't protest then I was just as guilty. And I didn't want to work for a business with discrimitory policies.

When the man saw that nurse handling his child, if he saw something he didn't like he could have asked that she not handle his child. But to ask to bar any particular race & then for someone in authority to honor his request was asinine. That person is just as much at fault as the nazi for the brohaha.

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Have you been around Flint? It is not diverse - it's pretty much segregated. It is a predominently African American community surrounded by a sea of lilly white. Livingston County is 95% white. Northern Oakland County, Lapeer, most of Genesee except for Flint, white white white. You could easily live your entire life in that area and never come in contact with a person of color, unless you ventured into the big cities. There's also rumored white supremacy and KKK types running around in the thumb area and parts of Livingston County, so people shouldn't be totally shocked that there'd be a Nazi-type in that area.

ETA: For those not familiar with this area, here's a map (go to slide 7). Flint is a bit up and out from the corner of Oakland County.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013