Michelle Kwan's Dream of Desdemona and use of music

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by BigB08822, May 15, 2011.

1. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Is it from this competition where Tara decided to do her LP, complete with 7 triples and 3loop/3loop combo?
    (How many skaters today would do that in world competition, let alone at a pro-am?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJ_DlPJroU

Can't find the Michelle video though...

2. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is from that event.

I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of this tape! :( I thought I had transferred it to DVD but I can't seem to find that either...

3. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Piece #1: Adagio
    Composer: Reinhold Gliere

Piece #2: Melodrame
    Composer: Jules Massenet

Piece #3: Final from Herodiade
    Composer: Jules Massenet

Dream of Desdemona is a masterpiece.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. pollyanna

I uploaded it for our collective enjoyment. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBBTs-GgdDI

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Actually I'm sure piece #3 is the Finale from Massenet's Herodiade. I bought the CD just for those 2.5 minute :swoon:

6. pollyanna

You may be right. I got the info from Heather's MK fan page, and I have no idea if she intended to post them in numerical order, or if she was just listing the 3 pieces that made up DoD.

7. Triple Butz

8. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

For those of you that don't get Miraculous Mandarin, I would strongly suggest reading about the work, as that knowledge really made the choreography click for me.

The whole 1999 - 2001 period had to have been such a frustrating one for the Kwan team. In addition to the music stuff, on one hand being criticized for not skating with enough speed, yet putting out these choreographically complex programs. Then, going the other way and stripping out the intricate details so the programs could be skated faster only to have commentary come back the other way about having empty programs. She just couldn't seem to make the judges happy.

9. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yeah, but I can't think of any skater who could make the judges happy all the time. This is a sport of no limits, and everyone has an aspect of his/her performances that can be worked on and improved. and when you have legends, you're bound to always find nit-pickers

Plus, having nothing to criticize can make skaters boring :p

10. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. floskate

floskate Vacant

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Since this is a Michelle thread, random question for video hunters please. :D

I remember a performance, I think it was to Mulan (I remember a somewhat purplish-colored dress?), where at the beginning of that performance, before she even skated, she got a standing O and got so choked up she had to pull out of her opening pose and skate around to compose herself again before starting? Am I imagining that, or did that happen?

13. Triple Butz

Could it be this performance of "A Song for You" after the Torino Games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MbfKSX10I

14. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Oh ... michelle

there won't be another skater quite like her

DOD is a magical piece ... i remember watching that change of edge spiral when i was a kid ... i was mesmerized !!!!!!!!

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

What a masterpiece. And she absolutely did it justice.

Even when she botched the combo at Worlds, she skated it with such speed and intensity that she deserved 5.9s across the board on the second mark. I think it was poor judging to not have it above Lipinski (strangely I was OK with it below Gusmeroli and Butyrskaya). She so deserved to win Worlds that year just on programs and maturity alone.

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This "sparkles".
    The quality of her skating; and the committment she gave the performance were wonderful.
    Just magical; and rarely seen now.

17. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That "full commitment" in her skating is one thing that really set her apart from other skaters, even those with great technical skills. I remember being completely mesmerized by her performance of Dante's Prayer during a COI show in 1998, which was the first time I saw Michelle skate in person. And it was still quite evident even last fall at All That Skate LA, where her jumps were only 3T and 2A. Thanks for the trip down MK memory lane with those clips! :respec:

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Watching this routine made me wish Phillip Mills did more work with Michelle Kwan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqVXK8xdpV0&NR=1

I think he understood her "look" very well and gave her the discipline and control over her movement that she had with Lori but also allowed her to have more freedom and abandon that she would have in her later years.

19. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

FINALLY!!! DOD was my all time favorite MK program.

20. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:)Consider this a rep..

Thanks to those who posted all of these great links..

Lovin' this thread..

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks - and the same to you!
    I love this thread, also.

It's become "fashionable" in some quarters, to "belittle" Michelle's skating and her contribution to the sport.
    What other skater could equal her sustained excellence, in many styles, over a long career?
    Her work will continue to awe and inspire, after most others have been forgotten.

Brava, Michelle!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its loveliness increases; it will never
    Pass into nothingness;

~ John Keats

23. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Well, fashion is fashion after all. It comes and goes with the change of the seasons.

Classic style is forever appreciated and indeed lives on forever.

Kwan.

O-

24. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Thanks for this thread. What a joy to relive some of Michelle's most magical programs and moments.

I have said it for years, and will say it again: her 1997 programs to DoD and Taj Mahal are absolute masterpieces.

Hooray for the REAL Kween! :cheer2:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  25. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

26. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

27. belladella

belladella Active Member

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

29. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

All of these are great, but Kissing You is one of my faves. Nothing compares to "Winter", though. Too bad that can't be on youtube!

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

BellaDella, thanks! I was going to mention that too. I'm glad you found and posted the Jim McKay tribute clip!

This is a great thread. Thanks so much for starting it BigB08822, and to everyone for their contributions. :)

Hugs, kwanette :saint: -- and thanks!

Also, thanks for responding to my query about the music for DoD, Pollyanna and Mr.Fan. So interesting that those different music choices were put together and it became such a seamless whole in that program. I looked at the performance again to try and determine where the cuts were, and it is hard to distinguish. Truly, what a masterpiece. I wish someone would write a book with Kwan someday focusing mainly on her career on the ice and how the decisions came about for her music choices and choreography. Sigh ... A really definitive biography should happen too sometime in the future. :)

Thanks asdf334 for mentioning we should read the story behind the music for The Miraculous Mandarin! I researched it, and here are three links. The first provides fascinating details, along with an audio clip that further discusses Bela Bartok and the story behind how he was inspired to compose the music.

http://content.carnegiehall.org/article/sound_insights/Mandarin/art_intro_mandarin.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miraculous_Mandarin

http://www.bartokrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=85

Soooo, it wasn’t just Peter Carruthers who hated the music and couldn’t be bothered to understand it – historically, it was difficult for many people to wrap their ears and their intellect around. Such a shame. The story is more of an allegory, isn't it? The music is very challenging too, but inspired, and I mean sometimes the most difficult and painful of experiences brings growth and something powerful and beautiful beyond words. Ahhhh, yes, isn't it kind of amazing that Michelle has shown us that too with her life and her career -- that's kind of what she was showing us in her 2002 Olympic exhibition to Fields of Gold ... and it didn't end there. Her life wasn't over ... she has continued to push herself. Like the lyrics from A Song for You:
    “I’ve lived my life in stages with 10,000 people watching …The image you have of me, is what I hope to be.”

Here’s the youtube clip again of The Miraculous Mandarin …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWarys9kuzM

Wow, there is a lot going on in that performance that people just miss because they dismissed the program and the music immediately. I’m glad the horrible commentary was stripped out of this clip, so we can just view the performance. Don’t you guys think it might be interesting if Peter O. reworked this for Yu Na or Caroline Z?

ETA: Oh, wow, Coco -- I didn't know the actual music to Winter had been stripped from the youtube clip. It was up there for awhile -- what a shame that youtube is being corrupted by copyright issues :( Anyways, here is Winter Song from 2009 (kind of helps a little... sniff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGmlMmMs4B4&feature=related

And let's not forget the strong, intense Red Violin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P06NFFMn7Hs&playnext=1&list=PL58B98936A2CB701A This was her first performance of Red Violin (and she had a bad cold that week!!!) She later reworked it for her 2000 lp, right? Yeah, one of the commentators gives her credit for putting together this complex exhibition: "...It's very difficult to maintain that type of focus and composure throughout the entire week through the exhibition. At some point, you just have to let up. She's not there yet." Nope, Michelle has never been there... she's never let up.

Last edited: May 18, 2011