Michelle Kwan's best SP performance (pick 2)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jul 6, 2011.

?

What is Michelle's best short program performance in your opinion (pick 3)?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2011.
  1. Romanza (96)- worlds

37 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. Desdemona's dream (97)- USN

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Rachmaninoff (98)- Olympics

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  4. The feeling begins (2004) -USN

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Spartacus (2005)- worlds

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  6. East of Eden (2001)- worlds

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  7. Beatles (2000)- worlds

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Carmen (1999)- USN

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Rush (2001?)

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Other

16 vote(s)
    15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

While I am at it, I might as well create this poll.

What do you consider Michelle's best short program performance?

I don't remember all the years accurately, so I may be a bit off there. Some of the performances were not that different from competition to competition. I picked USN or worlds in most cases, but it could be any other competition (e.g. Goodwill games or Pro-am, so feel free to modify in your mind when you vote)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

'01 Nats - EoE. Wow. Touching! I wish she had kept this for SLC

'03 Worlds - The Feeling Begins. The music went in a different direction and I liked the SLFW, which I think was a change for her. It also balanced nicely against Sasha's Malaguena SP

3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

MK's TFB at 04 Nats wasn't one of her best..03 Nats and Worlds were both awesome.

I can't pick, I loved them all..tho Rach I at both 98 Nats and OLY will always hold special places in my heart.

I loved Spartacus at 05 Nats..my only regret was not seeing it live.

4. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

- the 1996 and 1998 Ultimate Four SPs (Dream of Desdemona and Rach, respectively)
    - East of Eden, 2001 US Nats

5. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

DOD 96 Skate America

6. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

So entirely impossible, but I did it. Rachmaninoff and East of Eden. But I also love Romanza, The Feeling Begins and Spartacus :confused:

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

1. Romanza - 96 Worlds.
    2. Spartacus - 05 Nationals. I think it was one of the few times where MK atually flew into her spiral right at the crescendo of the music. Sublime.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I have some odd choices. Dream of Desdemona at Worlds, A Day in the Life at Nationals, East of Eden at Nationals (not odd lol). The first two had clear errors but I stand behind them because I think the rest of the program was stellar.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I'm surprised her Worlds 2001 East of Eden is getting so many votes as she clearly two-footed and flutzed the 3Lutz combination. Looking back, I actually think Angela Nikodinov should have been ahead of her in that phase of the competition with Kwan in 3rd. I wonder if people are reading the poll too fast and thinking of Nationals (which was her very best performance of East of Eden SP ever!) instead.

10. jobelle

jobelle Member

picked the Olympics Rachmaninoff and East of Eden (although probably should have voted other for that one since as musesk8r just pointed out the natinoals one was better). I'm not really much of a Kwan fan ... but those two programs are stunning and I love to go back to watch them.

11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Umm, no. I see steps, mohawk, short back left outside with the corresponding short curve, tap, jump, land, free foot bounces off the ice.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Agree about the Worlds version of Dreams of Desdemona. It had a step out but the rest was stunning. The speed, the crispness, the intensity... The clean Nationals version was a league below, IMO.

13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Happy Birthday!

14. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Romanza from 96 (I actually just watched this program the other day, amazing!) and EOE from 01!

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yeah ! Lucky number 7 !
    And now, she is 31. WOW

For my choices, it's really difficult.
    I love Spartacus and Rush. But I also really like Rachmaninoff and Romanza, and The feeling begins (2003 Worlds). And Dream of Desdemona was amazing.
    Hard to choose !

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

The title of the thread says pick 2, but the poll itself says pick 3... so I picked 3: East of Eden, Romanza and The Feeling Begins.

My all-time favorite MK SP is probably Rach, but from 1998 U.S. Nationals, not the 1998 Olympics version.

17. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Being that Michelle skated for nearly a decade, I find it impossible to pick just one performance that I love because she had dozens of perfectly flawless performances, which is something we don't see a lot of today. I had to pick, so I chose Romanza from worlds in 1996. It was such a moment for her and started her on her way to securing a podium finish at worlds for the next 9 years...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!! I LOVE YOU!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I pick TFB twice.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

98 Olympics and I chose Other for the 1996 Ultimate Four where she did the best short program in history with DoD.

20. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Had to go with:
    Rachmaninov at 98 Nationals, and
    East of Eden at 2001 Nationals. I thought both were better than their respective Olympics/Worlds versions.
    Honorable mention to Dream of Desdemona from the 1996 (or was it 97?) Ultimate Four Championships. :rolleyes: at the judges who put that behind Yamaguchi.

ETA: Didn't see BigB08822's post before. Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that awesome DoD performance.

21. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

For me, it's:

East of Eaden, 2001 Nationals
    Rach, 1998 Nationals
    DOD, 1997 Worlds (step out and all)

Performances for the ages.

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I went with Rush simply because it's so freaking difficult!

23. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I love all of her SPs but my fave has to be Romanza <3, because it marked Michelle's "artistic transformation" from the previous year.

Yet, the Yellow River Piano Concerto program was also a great SP for the jumping bean that she was at the time, especially at the 1995 Worlds putting a wonderful 3 flip towards the end of her performance.

24. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

I agree with those who said DoD at Worlds-- just sublime choreographically and performance-wise.

As far as clean performances-- Rach and EoE at Nationals, of course.

25. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I've always had a fondness for '95 Worlds Yellow River Piano Concerto too.

26. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Museksk8er is correct, espn did a close-up with slow-mo and it was clear that her free foot brushed the ice ever so slightly.

I don't think Angela should have been ahead however, her combination spin should have received a deduction and her lutz (tiny flutz also) landing was rocky.

27. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Ditto.

28. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Where did I not say she two footed the landing? I said her free foot bounced off the ice, which is a two footed landing. I was not so generous as to call it a "brush".

The description I countered was not accurate as a whole and in general for what Michelle did that night, even if it happened to have one accurate point. It was a mixed bag of generalizations that could have been stuck in front of Bobek, Kwiantkowski, Cohen, Corwin ... etc.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  29. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Your message wasn't very clear, and your opening phrase was "umm, no." which suggests that you disagreed with the flutz and two-foot, both of which were made clear during the replay.

30. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

MK flutzed and two-footed in the 2001 Worlds SP, but I still loved the performance (and the dress; I know I am probably in minority!). I love that Worlds because Michelle did SO well despite her boot problem. What an amazing athlete.

I vote for EOE 2001 Nationals and 1996 Romanza Worlds, because those are the two performances I probably watch the most. :)