Michelle Kwan video, Special Olympics in Greece

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanette, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

2. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. Michelle looks amazing, as always. I did get a chuckle when I noticed the title "Olympic Gold Medalist" under her name during the Houston TV interview. Of course, to me, she is an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Go Michelle :D

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Great interviews & Michelle looks amazing. Thanks!

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

OMG, meteo was awful yesterday !

Anyway, Michelle looks amazing !

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

She looks amazing. There were moments when she calmed down and did not try so hard to put emphasis on her words or use demonstrative gestures that she sounded very natural and engaging. She is definitely moving in the right direction.

6. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

LOVE Michelle but she still has a lot to learn in the public speaking department! She should consider taking a few classes or work with a coach, I think it would help her a great deal.

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I know a few presidents who could have benefitted as well, but it didn't stop them.

Michelle is engaging and charismatic. You can't teach that. And her public speaking has improved by leaps and bounds over the years, and I am sure will continue to.

O-

8. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I love seeing her involved with such a good cause, and I :lol: at the pic of her with Yao.

10. os168

os168 Active Member

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

She gets more beautiful every year.

12. Triple Butz

I can think of a few presidents as well, and just because they didn't get help doesn't mean they shouldn't have :lol: Michelle is amazing, but I think a speech pathologist or speech coach could help her to slow down, stop using elisions, and be more clear. It could only make her more charismatic and engaging.

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Omg, omg, omg, soooooo amazing!! Did I mention amazing? Classy, too!!

I'm totally amazed. :D :D

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Most of you who criticize Michelle (whatever she does) couldn't do half so well.

15. Triple Butz

It's posts like these that make me sick. Michelle Kwan is my favorite skater ever, probably my favorite person ever, and all I did was suggest that she take a few lessons to impove her public speaking and the kwaniacs come out swinging. Michelle is as wonderful as a person can be, but that doesn't mean she is above reasonable criticism from time to time. When you show up to defend her when she clearly doesn't need to be defended, it makes you look obsessed in my opinion...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  16. query5

query5 New Member

triple buzz, personally i thought she did quite well, my mom enjoyed it very much.
    for me she has improved.

also what about tara improving her speech, peggy, nancy, all who are in commentating improving their speech. for me personally they all could.
    they all do a decent job, but each could improve their speech and/or job.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

We will agree to disagree, then, Triple Butz.

I think some people are obsessed with criticizing her every action,
    That, I find obsessive!

18. senorita

senorita New Member

She skated with Apollo Ohno and the athletes of special Olys and that was on greek news, i was thrilled :cheer2:

19. query5

query5 New Member

there is the video of her with michelle and apollo on michelle kwan forum
    nice,
    there is also another video of her on Change through Sports.

nice article,
    but great cause.
    congrats to all atheletes who competed.

20. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

21. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link of Michelle and Apollo....very nice!

22. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

24. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

25. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

May I say like Kwan like Kim?
    Yuna's entrusted with duty of a new global ambassador for Pyeongchang Special Olympics 2013!

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olymp...-kim-to-inspire-special-olympians-in-new-role

- I'm dying to see this vid!!

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I posted that in another thread! Michelle was on the Board of Directors and the ambassador for the Special Olympics in Athens this year and now Yu-Na will be working as the ambassador for the Pyeongchang Special Olympics. I think it's wonderful that these two amazing skaters are connected in so many ways...:)

27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

You can say that again:D It's really magical these ladies from different generation of FS walk on the similar track! oh man Michelle's interviews posted here are so moving and touching to see her passion and affection on what she's doing!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sure you can love Michelle, and feel she still has a lot to learn. But why the need for the word, "but"? Clearly, Kwan also feels she can continue to learn, and that she's never stopped learning. And, clearly, she needs no defending. Just adding my two cents observations here.

You can love Michelle... and clearly see that speaking off the cuff in public is not one of the things she's perfect at -- few people are except for professional actors and broadcasters, and even they are not always perfect. In her present role as Public Diplomacy Envoy, Michelle most definitely has already been working with a public speaking coach. She penned and presented an exceptional graduation ceremony speech when she received an honorary doctorate a few years ago. And now, she has earned another degree. What an accomplished young lady! I think her brain probably works faster than her tongue can keep up with sometimes. Not the most difficult challenge she's ever faced ..., and she's definitely conquering it too. In the linked interviews, Michelle's charm and passion shine through. Oh, and btw, wonder how you'd fare in front of the hot lights of tv cameras. It ain't easy. My one experience, I freezed up and didn't know where to look -- lucky I wasn't the focus and didn't have to say a word. ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  29. Triple Butz

I have three degrees in performance, and have been performing professionally for years, so I think I'd be okay ;)

Again, I don't know why people freak out whenever a little constructive criticism is directed at Michelle. I never said she was terrible, I simply said there is still work to be done.

If we only ever heard warm and fuzzy comments, how would we learn and grow? For example, here's a little constructive criticism for you: the past participle of "freeze" is "froze" :)

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Triple Butz! And I'm an English major ... who would've thunk! Froze up, or "freezed" up -- it was definitely like a deer in the headlights.

Great you are a performance major, so I suppose you kinda cringe or freak out whenever you see someone performing poorly. What tips would you give Michelle?

Michelle does give me the warm and fuzzies. :) Nobody's perfect, but I don't see much to criticize when I look at her -- just lots to observe and comment on, and we all have varying opinions.