Michelle Kwan to be one of Olympic torch bearers

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Lucy25, May 29, 2012.

1. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I am on my ipad and can not get the links to copy, but I have received several google alerts that Michelle is one of 22 Americans chosen by Coca Cola to carry the torch in the relay around Oxford, England July 9-11. When I get to my lap top, I will post a link (unless someone beats me to it!).

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

3. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Boy, you're fast! Just beat me to it. Thanks :)

This summer, 22 outstanding Americans selected by Coca-Cola will light up the streets of Oxford, England as they carry the Olympic Flame in the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay. Among them will be 10 teenagers from across the United States, Olympic figure skater Michelle Kwan, Olympic swimmer Summer Sanders and renowned fitness icon Jake Steinfeld of Body by Jake(R).

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Good for Michelle! :cheer2:

5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Michelle!! What a wonderful honor!

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

From the Coca-Cola press release linked above:
    ^^^ They got it right here. :cool:

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's a smart marketing strategy: say it enough times, and people will believe it, especially since so many of them already do.

8. AlisonS

AlisonS Member

I read right over that OGM comment about Michelle and didn't even blink! That is too funny, I was going right along with it even though I know better! (slapping forehead!)

9. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Congrats to the honorees. Is this the first time a large group of Americans have been invited to carry the torch in an Olys not hosted by the US?

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Things go better with Michelle!

11. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

5 world championships, Olympic silver and bronze. 9 national championships. I think that qualifies her to be mistaken for an Olympic champion. So her Olympic medals may not be the right color, everyone knows who she is, still, to this day. Just the fact that she is chosen to be a torch bearer speaks volumes.
    Congratulations Michelle. :)

12. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:swoon:

13. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Congrats Michelle!

14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?

15. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Its all about the bucks....
    "More than 90 percent of the Coca-Cola system's investment in the Olympic Games is directed to athlete development, supporting National Olympic Committees and assisting the staging of the Games."

Wonder how much they would give the USFSA if everyone on the team wore Coke jackets?

16. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Yeah, and considering that apparently the torch is only allowed to go to the host country now, there's no obvious opportunity for athletes of other countries to carry the torch (when it's supposed to be a pretty global, inclusive thing, I think).

Anyway, congrats to Michelle!

17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:) That's why I drink Coke instead of Pepsi..

18. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

They forgot Host of Nickelodeon's game show Figure It Out :drama:

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Right around her 32nd birthday :)

20. Jo Ann

Jo Ann New Member

It is a wonderful, talented group of people and an honor for them to be chosen by Coca Cola. It is great that Coca Cola is doing this and great that Michelle was chosen to be a part of it. Way to go, Michelle!

Congratulations to the Queen! We miss you, Michelle, but you have moved on and life is great for you.

21. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Michelle!

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

"espnW's countdown of the top 40 athletes of the Title IX era continues with No. 20 Michelle Kwan" :cool: - video link: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7946243

Countdown is at #18 as of today (Kwan's profile is linked from here - click on "20-16"): http://espn.go.com/espnw/title-ix/top-40-female-athletes/

ETA link to the explanatory article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/title-ix/7864240/top-40-female-athletes-countdown-introduction

(I didn't feel like starting yet another new thread for the Kween! :shuffle:)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  23. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I was curious about that, too. :confused:

24. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Maybe because besides rowing and equestrian sports, there aren't enough of them from Britan?

25. query5

query5 New Member

it is an honor, i think it is because

Coca Cola is one of the Olympic Sponsors that is why.

26. alij

alij Active Member

I think we medalled in 13/14 (ok I checked and it was only 11!) different sports at the last Olympics alone so I don't' think that is the reason!

The majority of the 8000 torchbearers aren't athletes but people nominated by their local communities. Coca Cola as a presenting partner was given a number of places to fill and (I am guessing) as they are a US based company decided to fill their allotment with US representatives and I think only two of those are Olympians.

27. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I think it might have more to do with an effort to be inclusive of athletes of other countries, i.e., the Olympic ideal of helping to bring nations together. Britain has had many successful Olympians, especially at the summer Games, but (unless I'm mistaken) carrying the torch is an honor that is somewhat diversified among nations, Olympians, Paralympians, hopefuls and "regular" folk.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I just read that Alexander Popov was also selected as one of the torchbearers. Not sure if he got it through the Sochi connection or was selected on some other basis, but lots of people get invited by various sponsors or organizing committees for a variety of reasons.

I can understand why the athletes and other people would want to do it even if it's not in their country, particularly if they're committed to the Olympic goals and principles and want to honor them by participating in whatever capacity they're invited to participate.

29. alij

alij Active Member

I have just had a look at the list of torchbearers who will run closest to my hometown and 3 of them are italians who have all performed a heroic act and in the town I was born they have someone form Buenos Aires so I guess there are people form all over the globe represented.

Ob Skating Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean are also reported to be carrying the torch at some point

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well we always wondered if they carried a torch for each other at some point.

Now we know :)