Michelle Kwan to be interviewed on "Fox News Sunday" morning of May 20

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, May 18, 2012.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I think that might be her goal, considering she was learning Mandarin and was focusing her grad school studies on China.
  2. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Eventually, perhaps, if everything lines up properly with experience and career choices, she might even be appointed and confirmed as Secretary of State herself. :)
  3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought it was common knowledge that Kwan is a Republican.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I think you are correct.
  5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

She is? That would make things interesting for some of her fans.
  6. feraina

feraina Active Member

It's hard to believe, given everything Kwan has ever revealed to the public over the years, that her personal beliefs align better with Republicans than Democrats...

Anyway, somehow watching that interview brought tears to my eyes. Little Michelle all grown up!
  7. JILEN

JILEN New Member

She sure did, It made me teary-eyed too..What a gal!
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Immigrants; and children of immigrants often are Republican.
    I don't care which party she belongs to, at the moment.

I applaud her desire to be of service, in any capacity.
    She's probably being "kept in mind" by both parties.
  9. VALuvsMKwan

I do not recall ever having seen, or heard, any specific statement attributed to Michelle regarding her party affiliation. Has anyone else heard or read anything she has said or written stating a specific party affiliation?

Her dating Christian Anschutz (spelling) brought about a lot of discussion about how she must definitely be a Republican, but to my knowledge she has made no specifically declared public announcement of her political beliefs. My two cents is that the Republican Party would be extremely fortunate if she were to declare her affiliation with it because of her likeability and history of hard work and perserverance and interest in service to her fellow human beings.
  10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not all that common, then. :lol: I didn't realize that Kwan's political affiliation was that openly known. If I had had to guess, I would have thought that Republican might be more likely than Democrat, but then again, I thought that she might be an independent and not registered with any party. She has been able to work with and has received appointments from both the Bush and Obama administrations, so I doubt if her political views are aligned with either the extreme right or left. :)
  11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Neither have I, which is why I prefaced what I said with, "Perhaps I'm wrong......". Nevertheless one hears a lot of rumours and jokes about her being a Republican, which often seem to indicate that she is. You sound a bit defensive. Not being American myself I couldn't really care less, other than from the standpoint of enjoying gossip about skaters. :lol:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

This. If there's a source that explicitly states MK's political affiliation, I'd like to see it.

And if we've decided that MK must be Republican because she used to date Christian Anschutz, she must also be quite wishy-washy about her beliefs considering that she's now rumoured to be dating a member of the Pell family.
  13. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I not only have never heard of Michelle saying anything about her political affiliations, I also have never heard of Michelle even attending a campaign fundraiser for any partisan candidate for any office. She seems to act as if her political affiliation is private business.
  14. skatesindreams

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

It can't be if she wants to run for office. :p
  16. VALuvsMKwan

I'd prefer that she not be for personal inclinations - but it's a free country.

I don't particularly like personal gossip about skaters, particularly about (as you can tell) one of my favorite skaters.. Maybe that's what you perceive as "defensiveness". No problem. :)
  17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think there was some thought that she was a Republican because her first appointment came from the Bush Administration and Condi Rice, and she was dating Anschutz. But then she blended just as easily with the Obama administration, continuing to serve as a Public Diplomacy Envoy for Hillary Clinton and working frequently with Michelle Obama for her youth fitness programs and with Joe Biden on the Special Olympics.

I was very surprised at any mention of political office, because so far she seems eager to work with everyone to accomplish bipartisan and charitable goals rather than "taking sides".
    VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I thought everyone knew. Michelle Kwan considers herself a member of the Purple Party.
  19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Never heard or read anything about MK's political affiliation either.
  20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the Bush Administration giving a plum appointment to anyone unless they felt secure that the person's ideology was w/in a certain range of the spectrum.
  21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:lol: A non paid assignment that she still does for the Obama administration. I guess Hilary felt secure her ideology was w/in a certain range of the spectum as well. I suspect it's more that Condi Rice was impressed by her and thought she'd do a good job. She did and Hilary must have felt the same.
  22. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Maybe she's an independent :p
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Then she'll have to state that. :p
  24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan -- Power Player of the Week. Has a nice ring to it. I would not be surprised to see Michelle running for office (as she indicated in the video clip interview) and winning some day. :)

Altho' much of MK's time is spent in volunteer work in D.C., I thought she was also working on a paid job, but I guess not at this point and apparently no need since her financial affairs are in great order as a result of her successful skating career.

Since this is related to current news, seems like it should be in GSD.
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

To further complicate the question of whether it is common knowledge that Michelle Kwan is a Republican, the Boston Globe reported she attended a Democratic Party fundraiser for President Obama back in 2010.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2010/04/02/hottest_guys_on_the_block/

The article is in archives now but any Globe subscriber can access it for free.

Off-topic and at the risk of turning this into a political thread, I've never heard of immigrants and children of immigrants being more likely Republican though I'm sure many exist (as it does in my family). I know the original poster said that immigrants and children of immigrants are "often" Republican but it makes it sound like they are more likely to be Republican. Excuse me if that was not what you were saying. However, the Democratic party has historically had a much stronger voter base in immigrant and minority populations. The Center of Immigration Studies also says this www.cis.org/republican-demise. I remember looking at the 2008 Presidential election results and seeing the relatively high numbers of minority voters who voted for Obama compared to McCain. I know minorities do not equal immigrant or children of immigrants, but immigrants are often minorities.

Sorry to derailing the topic. Back on topic, Kwan never publicly announced party affiliation nor have we heard her explicitly endorse any real partisan ideology unless you think spreading good PR on behalf of the State Department for two Presidents (Republican and Democrat), endorsing the Special Olympics, and promoting good health are particularly partisan.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  26. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:lol: at the idea of Kwan saying anything personal publicly.

Anywho, back when she was dating Anschutz, someone posted on mkf that in the trophies case at east/west palace, or whatever her rink is called, was a framed letter from the rep party thanking her for her donations. I think that was the ember than ignited the "mk is an elephant" rumor fire.
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Um, you're assuming that Democrats and Republicans are the same.

I think the Obama Administration requires less uniform adherence to certain political views than the Bush administration.
  28. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I'm sure Michelle is Michelle either way so what's it matter? She is herself and you all know that isn't different out of the spotlight.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skatesindreams

30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the interview. She comes across as very mature and so well presented. Her sense of perspective is great (that skating was only one part of her life). I have no doubt she will succeed with whatever she does in future.
  31. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Umm, I think you've made more assumptions about Obama and Bush and their administrations in your few posts than have been made in this whole thread! :lol:

Whatever the case, Michelle is pursuing some worthwhile causes and seems to be enjoying herself in the process. Good for her!

O-
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  32. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

If I had to bet which way Michelle tends to vote, I'd say Republican.

At the same time, I think her diplomatic career has been quite successful in courting prominent people on both sides of the US political spectrum. That's quite an accomplishment for someone who leans Republican, given how polarized the party has become.

Look at Michelle's fluff piece interviews and press conferences - she's always been great at tact and offering pleasing responses without making broad statements that would offend her competitors, judges, the USFSA or ISU.

If Michelle did end up on one side of the fence, I'd expect her to be like Meghan McCain or Laura Bush, and not a crazy Bachmann, self-loathing Malkin, or attention-whore Palin.
  33. skatesindreams

In order to have a long-term career in public life; whether in the Diplomatic Service, or in some other position, you must be able to deal effectively with officials - whatever their beliefs/"politics"; and regardless of your own.

I believe that many administrations have had members of both parties in important positions.
  34. KCC

KCC Active Member

I would love to ask Michelle about where she wants to work within the field of international policy/relations (outside of running for an office at home). For instance, is she more interested in human rights/women's rights, international finance/economics, political/government issues, security/terrorism, immigration policy, etc.? Anyone here have a feel for where she would prefer to concentrate her efforts? If I was to make a wild guess, I would put her somewhere in the United Nations -- but that does not really narrow things down much.

I'd give my right arm to spend an afternoon with Michelle, picking her brain about what she has learned in school and Washington (and skating), and how that shapes where she wants to make her mark (outside of skating).
  35. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

No need to give up a limb. Michelle had been concentrating her studies at Tufts on China and taking Mandarin lessons. She had also been present when Hu Jintao was in DC for an official visit and was introduced to him. You can take it from there.
  36. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Listen, I don't want to start a debate, but it's accepted fact that the Bush Administration required formal loyalty oaths. I don't even think they denied it. This was an unusual practice in DC.
  37. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I've only heard about loyalty oaths during Bush's reelection campaign in 2004 that one had to take in order to attend rallies and campaign events. His argument was that it was acceptable since those were partisan events. I don't deny that for many prime positions, Presidents want to appoint people who align with their philosophies (just look at what he did to the federal courts with his judicial appointments) but with so many appointments in the executive branch, I'm sure even Bush had to appoint some Dems some of the time, so requiring every appointee sign a loyalty oath seems a bit impractical . Not only that, but A diplomacy envoy sounds like a PR role, and Kwan was ideal due being a relatively non-controversial public figure and having the University of Denver and skating background shared with then Secretary-of-State Condoleeza Rice.

Whether we believe she's Republican, a Democrat, independent, opportunist, etc. is all based on circumstantial evidence interpreted by our own leanings and our view of Kwan. She's never made a declarative statement about it.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  38. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think your point makes no sense. What has Kwan ever revealed to the public? That she comes from a hardworking family who saved their money and ran a business? That's about all we know. She never has revealed her economic or political views. All we have to go on is her masters thesis on the Beijing Olympics, which is a pretty apolitical subject (it almost sounds like a thesis on marketing and public relations). Kwan may be a Republican like, for example, Kristi Yamaguchi or Scott Hamilton, but I think foreign affairs in this administration is mostly non-partisan. Kwan said she admired Bush and Condoleezza Rice, but I'm sure she also admires Hillary Clinton and President Obama.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/02/22/kwan_qa/

I don't think Kwan will launch a political affiliation until it suits her ambitions for elected office.

I don't think she wants to be a public servant in the state department her whole career. I think she is considering running for elected office. The public diplomacy stuff is a way for her to get experience and knowledge of government without tainting her corporate brand. I am basing this opinion on her own answers to questions in interviews.

She alluded to career ambitions even in her press releases about her marriage in interviews. I don't think she wants to be the Elaine Chao in the marriage. I think she might want to be the Mitch McConnell! We'll see, but if Kwan can grow in confidence as a public speaker, she can surely become an effective campaigner and debater. There is huge potential there, and I think she is in training.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013