Michelle Kwan - Sports have power to change lives

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by l'etoile, Sep 28, 2011.

1. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

http://espn.go.com/espnw/summit/7023250/michelle-kwan-sports-power-change-lives

This is Michelle's perspectives from ESPN Women + Sports Summit where apparently Michelle is participating:)

A quotation from what she writes.

:respec:

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes, sport has this power, it brings so many values in life. At any level, not only for champions. :)

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I do not disagree....but after 10 years of teaching in a sports-obsessed school where non-athletic kids were bullied with the principal/football coach's blessing, I have to add this: the same lessons can be learned from pursuits such as music, art, drama, dance or anything else that requires practice, self-discipline, setting goals, and commitment to growth.

And some kids are simply not gifted athletically but have amazing gifts in other areas.

Clarice and (deleted member) like this.
  4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Absolutely, that's what I meant. Because I work with handicapped persons, and I always think about them when it's about sport in life. :)

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Very true! Also, there will always be some kids who are simply not interested in sports and never will be. To a point, I was one of them. Waaaaay back then, we had PE everyday and I loathed it. Absolutely loathed it (except for track and cheerleading, which really wasn't a "sport.")

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA :respec: Kids should be exposed to a variety of activities and possibilities at a young age, and be encouraged to pursue their interests. Art, music, sports, science, math -- whatever they excel at. Often, at a young age, young people may excel at many things and then be forced to choose in order to become the best they can be in one discipline. This results in character building, just as learning how to fail or take a loss and still get back on your feet and exhibit sportsmanship can prepare children for the hard knocks that life unfailingly sends us all.