Michelle Kwan: New Woman in Washington

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Garden Kitty, May 10, 2011.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This article link was originally posted in the Trash Can forum but I think it's worthy of a thread in GSD. :)

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sorry, I looked there and missed it, can a nice admin please delete this thread? Thanks, Sylvia.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Great article! Thanks for linking it.

5. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:cheer::cheer: what a great article! Love the Kween!

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Now I can say "Howdie, neighbor!" to the Kween!

So has Michele taken and passed the Foreign Service Exam to be a career diplomat? Or is she planning to go from 'special appointment' to 'special appointment' for the rest of her life? I would think not. Most folks who come to this town to do diplomacy do it through the Foreign Service Exam or similar tough exams required to have true careers in the international agencies. Michele had the brain to go to Fletcher so I am guessing that she'll take the true career path.

p.s. I'll repost this in the 'Trash Can' thread...but I can hardly call this article 'trash.'

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I would think Michelle would follow the career path too. Although I don't expect this would be a problem for her, only three percent of applicants make it to the register of eligibles from which hiring is done, which is ranked according to exam scores. If she doesn't take the career path, she will probably get stuck with the kinds of assignments she has been having and that certainly wouldn't make full use of her education .

Since her brother was mentioned in the article, what is he doing these days.

8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity ... when is it expected for people to take the Foreign Service Exam? Is it something that it is reasonable to expect Michelle to have done before she graduates Fletcher? After graduation, but before any further schooling (such as going for a Ph.D)?

9. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I was just out at Circa a few weeks ago (I live a few blocks away) and I'm out running in Rock Creek Park most evenings. It would be quite the surprise to see the Kween. Though considering her fitness, I wouldn't be surprised if she speeds right past me. :lol:

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Garden Kitty: Thanks for posting this great article! As a Kwan fan, I'm a bit chagrined that I missed seeing it before. :eek:
    I don't know what Michelle's brother Ron is doing -- but the article was really mistaken in referring to him as Michelle's "little brother" because he is the oldest of the three Kwan siblings.

11. Frau Muller

Taking the exam to become a Foreign Service Officer (FSO) is not contingent on receiving a degree. Interested candidates within the ages of 20 and 59 can register to take the initial written exam (there are Orals and many other steps later). The initial written exam is held three times a year -- same day at a number of locales around the globe, not just in the US. The full scoop is here:
    http://careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process

I wonder which of the 5 "career paths" within the FSO system Michelle will choose? From the FSO web:

While all U.S. diplomats are expected to communicate U.S. foreign policy, and interact effectively with host country governments to help advance American interests worldwide, each career track has a specific focus.

•Consular Officers facilitate adoptions, help evacuate Americans, and combat fraud to protect our borders and fight human trafficking. Consular Officers touch people's lives in important ways, often reassuring families in crisis.
    •Economic Officers work with foreign governments and other USG agencies on technology, science, economic, trade, energy, and environmental issues both domestically and overseas.
    •Management Officers are resourceful, creative, action-oriented "go to" leaders responsible for all embassy operations from real estate to people to budget.
    •Political Officers analyze host country political events and must be able to negotiate and communicate effectively with all levels of foreign government officials.
    •Public Diplomacy Officers explain American values and policies and may benefit from a strong knowledge of local government and customs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am guessing "Public Diplomacy" for Michelle but that's one of the tougher ones to get into. Each "cone" (career path) has a limited number of openings, some tougher to get into than others. "Political Officer" is THE toughest - most top university grads dream of this...the path to someday being an Ambassador on your own merits (rather than a political appointment). Consular Officer & Management Officer seem to be the paths with most openings in most years.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  12. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

I know he is (or was) living in Denmark but I am not aware what he is working with.

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm hard-pressed to see Kwan taking a job as a junior foreign service officer. Maybe she's trying for an appointment as an deputy undersecretary of state or something similar in DC?

I don't think she'd be unlikely as a political appointment as ambassador ten or fifteen years from now -- her ability to have relationships with high level folks from both Republican and Democratic administrations, and many years of managing to behave very diplomatically, and very positive reception in some other countries could make her a pretty solid political pick. Her (presumed) ability to finance the costs of being an ambassador (which generally does not pay as much as the job really costs) is another plus.

There are also any number of international commissions where the US appoints (paid) representatives, and that might be another possibility.

14. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

i graduated with a consular and diplomatic affaors degree back in 2002 and never even attempted to take my foreign service officers exam.

15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

This is not meant to be a dig at Rachel Flatt and other skaters who kind of "toot their own horn" when it comes to academics...but it is so interesting to me to see how Michelle's career has turned out post skating. I know there was a little hub bub when she went to UCLA and lived in the dorms, but there was never really much talk of what she wanted to do after skating, how she was some remarkable hard working over achieving student who wanted great things after skating (think Sarah and Emily and now Rachel). Yet here she is looking on her way to being very very successful and not resting on her laurels. I feel like there was this whole other side to Michelle that her fans knew nothing of...I mean I always knew she was a hard working individual but I look at her in a totally different way now. She is a very remarkable, strong, and very intelligent woman. Makes me proud to be a fan :) (ends uber-gushing)

16. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

MK keeps a low profile in general.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    That will serve her well in Diplomacy.
    Now that she has the academic credentials, it will be interesting to see what options she chooses, of the many paths open to her,

18. toepick

toepick Member

Everyone who takes the Foreign Service Exam starts at the bottom of the chain and one is expected to do a tour in some country where you learn the ropes of working at an Embassy. You might be stamping visas for all you know. Not everyone who starts out is very young, but many are.

It is a very equality-based system. You pass the test, you move on to the orals and then the medical exam.

Not everyone who has the title "diplomat" is a career foreign service officer. You can go the political appointee route. For example, many AMBs at Embassies are careerists, but many are also appointees. There are pros and cons of each route.

I am sure Kwan is capable of both types of diplomacy positions, but trust me, junior level FSO positions aren't exactly glamorous. :)

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

ITA, Sylvia. If an Ando marries Morozov thread can be in GSD, than this thread certainly can and should be!!

Kwan is simply amazing.

I'm always pleased to see a figure skater become such a prominent citizen. In Kwan's case, figure skating is always mentioned prominently in articles about her and figure skating is still so much a part of making her who she is today, which she readily acknowledges. Kwan is good for figure skating still.

O-

20. Frau Muller

Precisely. So why did Michelle bother to go to Tufts-Fletcher and get a degree if she's not willing to take the "fair and democratic" route to diplomacy? She's wealthy enough that if she wants a career of appointments and 'fluff,' she didn't have to go to a top-notch diplomacy program like Tufts-Fletcher. She did so KUDOS to her in that regard.

However, I'm waiting to see if (a) Michelle takes the exam, (b) passes the exam, the orals, etc., and (c) will be serving two years at the US Consulate in Tijuana, stamping visas, like the rest her college classmates who aren't wealthy or famous enough to bypass the system.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmm. President Kwan.........

22. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I like the look of that. She could declare war on Speedy. ;)

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  23. sbmeagain

sbmeagain Active Member

24. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Maybe she just likes the academic environment and wanted to continue her education beyond the undergraduate level in areas that were of interest to her. Maybe she wanted to study at Tufts because she believed the Fletcher School's claim that their Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy program "trains broadly knowledgeable and curious leaders to develop a thorough and nuanced grounding in the latest political, economic, business, and legal thinking" and that "the flexibility of the program ensures that its students can tailor their education to particular interests ..."
    Why would you care whether or not she took the Foreign Service exam, unless you are assuming that she intends to have a diplomatic career? Only about 1/3 of Fletcher's MALD graduates go on to have careers in the public sector; the remaing 2/3 are split between the private sector and non-profits/multinational organizations. And I very much doubt that the 40% of her fellow classmates who are not from the U.S. will be stamping visas in US Consulate offices. :rolleyes:

25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Maybe she'll take some time off and tweet about hair, nails, and Stuart Weitzman shoes..:p

26. minignome

minignome New Member

It's not as if Michelle had her fame and wealth handed to her on a silver (or gold or bronze) platter. If the combination of her well EARNED degree and name recognition allows her to skip a few rungs on the bottom of the ladder more power to her.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Why must every thread that deals with Ms, Kwan's activities and accomplishments be used as a reason/excuse to "bash" her?

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The true "Axel of Evil".

Daisy18 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hee! I got the reference. And yes, I agree with your sarcasm. It's nice to have a thoughtful skater who isn't going on an on about their clothes, spa appointments, Starbucks, fame-whoring, etc. (and there are several skaters that do this). I've almost un-followed a lot of them for the shallowness, but as a skating podcaster, I'm afraid I do have to keep up with them.

30. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Hey, check out who is in the background of this photo of the First Lady at a Let's Move event.