Michelle Kwan Google Hangout Tomorrow, October 1. Ask her Questions!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Sep 30, 2013.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Tomorrow at 4:00 PM EST, Michelle Kwan will have a google hangout session with her fans. People are encouraged to pose questions for her. I will definitely be there (even though I'm supposed to be working).

http://bit.ly/HangoutWithKwan

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

PML and the first question wants to know when she's going to get pregnant. She may read these and bail.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

:lol: Yeah, I saw that. I was like um...

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's a question that will receive the "diplomatic" non-answer it deserves!

5. Josh78

Josh78 Active Member

I managed to get in on the last couple of minutes...just long enough to hear her answering the last few questions. She was absolutely nothing more than cordial, lovely, and having fun with it (but I did miss the early question! lol)...I just wish the whole thing had lasted for longer than 15 minutes!

6. VIETgrlTerifa

Here's the video of the Hangout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cNEXDFqJ4

Some interesting tidbits...her favorite dress is the 2002 purple Rachmaninoff dress. She said it wasn't too comfortable though as she would scrape her arm on the beading from the sides when she went for a jump.

One piece of music she never skated to but would have loved to was Romeo and Juliet. Now which version, she never specified.

I also found a State Dept. video of Michelle Kwan addressing the public regarding the Disabilities Treaty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_oJB1h2UM

She sort of looks presidential there. ;)

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm glad she had something to do on her "day off" ;)

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She leads a full, busy, and productive life.; which surely will be even more so, in the future.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

She was asked about whether she would coach. Her answer was thoughtful in that she realizes how important it is for a coach to be fully committed and available to the athlete. Her busy schedule and many commitments would make that impractical, at least it seems, for now.

10. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

She also said that, if she could take up any Summer Olympic sport, it would be gymnastics. It made me wonder if Michelle had ever tried gymnastics. I know Sasha did. Or maybe it's just because she enjoys watching it. It was an interesting interview overall and Michelle looked beautiful, as always.

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Ooze! lol

12. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

It isn't that I don't appreciate that Michelle and Kristi can bring a certain level of visibility to an event like the USOC media event this week , but is it just me, or does anyone else kind of find it sad that USFS and the USOC are using former medalists to draw attention to the event/upcoming Winter Olympics? Is it that the marketing folks can not create enough "buzz" around their current crop of athletes that they have to reach back for other "ambassadors" to help market these events? There is a certain amount of inspiration that can be derived from past medalists, but to be fair to the current crop of hopeful Olympians, the "game" has changed immensely since Michelle and Kristi competed, and I find it a little demeaning to the current crop of hopefuls to turn the media event that should be about them to something that turns the camera on someone like Kwan, who is going as a reporter, not a participant. We all appreciate updates on the Kween, but honestly, let's keep this about the current Olympic hopefuls.

13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Well, the US singles skaters that end up in Sochi are absolute long shots for medals and they more than likely won't be standing on the podium. I didn't mind having someone like Kwan talking about them, in fact, I think that's a good way to start getting their names out there.

I WOULD like to see USFS promoting Davis and White. They have a very realistic shot at winning the Olympics and their battle with V/M is every bit as compelling as the "Battle of the Brians" or the "Battle of the Carmens" (even more so, I think).

14. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I wasn't just talking about the figure skaters. And I agree, that Davis and White are under appreciated and under utilized by their NGBS and federation.

There were many other sports represented at the media event and to be fair to those athletes, many who attended are prior Olympic medalists in their sports, I wonder how they feel when the cameras are turned towards someone like Kwan, who then becomes the story, rather than staying in the role of journalist. :-/

15. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Michelle was there in her role as a correspondent for Fox Sports. Isn't Kristi the Team USA digital ambassador?

It's too bad that Newsday didn't send Sarah Hughes. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

16. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Yes, Michelle was there as a Fox correspondent, but she also was interviewed. Perhaps she should politely decline those opportunities, esp when in light of the setting of this event. A learning moment for her. "Tell the story, don't become the story" , as a very well respected rhetoric prof would tell us in class.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

You're really making a big deal out of this, aren't you? It's one 13 minute interview. It's not like there are banners everywhere with Kristi and Michelle's faces. In the past, when networks hired "celebrity" correspondents to cover their respective sports, those notable interviewers are often interviewed for their perspective on the sport. They have a lot of perspective they can provide that most other reporters cannot. Also, the Olympics not ONE story, it's multiple stories covering the sport for the upcoming Olympics. It'll be one thing if she was covering say...Patrick Chan winning gold but makes it all about herself. But this is just about the Olympic experience, training as a skater, and all the human-interest stuff that comes with the Olympics and figure skating.

Watch ESPN, it happens with other sports all of the time.

18. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I think it is just you.

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

To be fair, they have always leveraged their past champions. Remember seeing both Kristi and Sarah in past years making appearances, signing autographs, etc. It doesn't reflect negatively on the current crop of skaters. It's just that most casual fans only know past champs, not current competitors, so you have to get these recognizable faces to reel them in. Given the relative popularity of Ladies' skating, and the great legacy of Ladies skating in the US, of course you would use them if you could. Especially if they are in every sense *perfect* ambassadors of the sport like Michelle and Kristi.

20. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

The whole idea is to create buzz. Past champions help with that process and help to bring visibility to the sport which, in turn, brings visibility to the up and coming athletes. Simple.

O-

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. kwanette

I'll pass Shep Goldberg a note in gym class. God knows Michelle Kwan needs all of the help that she can get in media training.:rolleyes:

23. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

You know, I understand what you're saying and what you mean. You have to also realize, however, that a lot of those current Olympic hopefuls look up to Michelle and Kristi, and dream about accomplishing what they accomplished. It's not so demeaning if you look at it with that aspect in mind. It also gives those Olympic hopefuls more determination to go after their dream.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

LOVE those photos! Thank you, Sylvia! :)

26. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Indeed.

The U.S. hasn't had a lady on the world podium in seven years. And while it's possible that Gold or Wagner could earn a spot on the podium in Sochi, at the moment it seems unlikely. There is no one current who can generate any buzz on her own.

But Michelle? That might get a few people to watch. And then, as you said, they will be introduced to the "new" ladies. It's better than nothing.

BTW, I agree with those that have said that Davis and White have not been 'used' as much as they could be. They have a good story. And America loves its winners.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  27. marysy

marysy Active Member

I wonder if part of the reason why Davis and White haven't been promoted as much as they could/should be is simply that American media or USFSA doesn't quite know what to do with ice dancers, or really any figure skaters who aren't ladies singles skaters and don't fall under the traditional pretty princess mold. Historically, the most successful American skaters have been singles skaters and we've had a long line of female medal contenders who took their turns being the face of US figure skating. (Hence the push for somebody like Gracie or even Alissa...)

Even with Belbin and Agosto, most of their publicity came from Belbin's push to gain American citizenship before the Olympics. Tanith is well-spoken and gorgeous, and quite frankly, I think that if she were a singles skater with medal potential, she probably would've become the darling of American media...not that she didn't get her moment in the limelight.

As to the topic of this thread, I haven't seen an interview with Michelle in a long time and found her to be a lot more articulate and even more poised than I remembered in the past. It's good to see her doing well. I think bringing back former champions to meet the current crop is a good idea, not just from a publicity perspective, but also a good chance for past champions to share their experiences and advice with younger skaters. For someone like Michelle who will actually have a commentating role at the Olympics, it would probably help inform her commentary to have the chance to interact and get to know these skaters a bit better.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  28. kwanette

John Coughlin was happy to see Michelle...

John Coughlin‏@JohnCoughlinUSA1 Oct
    @kwanette I stopped what I was doing and have her a hug as soon as I saw her!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :) :D

Seeing Michelle is a huggable moment ...

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Michelle Kwan: In The Broadcast Booth (article published on Oct. 4): http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Soch...tober/04/Michelle-Kwan-In-The-Broadcast-Booth
    Excerpt: