Michelle Kwan gets married today 19-01-13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by floskate, Jan 19, 2013.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

True. She just looked too summery to be in winter.
  2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The Old man with Danny in one of the pictures is he Danny's father. I just came across this piece of information about Danny's father that I never had seen before:

Danny Kwan's father, Ho-Yuen, was sold by his family to a wealthier man, when such deals were the salvation of poor families in China. Ho-Yuen Kwan was 5 when he was bought to stand guard over one of his owner's cows. Several years later a rich uncle bought Ho-Yuen Kwan back and returned him to his family.
  3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Danny was born in China and grew up in Hong Kong, where he met Estella when they attended the same grade school. The two met again at a school reunion and after marrying moved to Los Angeles in 1971.
    os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. samiller

samiller New Member

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Oooh, thanks for that new article! Lots of wonderful details about the dress. Gorgeous picture, too. With so much light in the picture, I wonder whether it was taken the following day?

Also, thanks for the information on Michelle's parents, Iceman. Wow, the same grade school. Danny and Estella have known each other for a very long time. :) Or, I guess there was a bit of a break in their association before they met again at the school reunion. So, they were probably fairly young when they left Hong Kong and moved to the U.S.

ITA! Her joyful expressions on her very special day remind me how Michelle has always seemed to be so in touch with her emotions and very unafraid to express and share them.

Thanks for pointing that out in response to AragonElessar's query. Possibly then the Commendation could have been presented to Clay for his military service as a JAG.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Was Lori invited?
  7. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I've been off-line since shortly after the Kwan-Pell wedding on Saturday, so I will add some belated thank yous for all the links, especially for the photos.

kwanette, thank you for that link -- so many photos with a lot of the other people in the wedding party!

What a wonderful photo of Michelle and Clay! And a great view of the dress, too!

That's quite a different look from her very sleek wedding gown -- all lacy and girly, but I think I like it. Michelle has her hair pulled back into a pony tail -- all the better for dancing!
  9. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

What a cute and fun dress! So different from the wedding gown, yet somehow related and equally special.

Unrelated and probably unimportant, but is Clay's hat too big for his head? :lol: On almost every pic, it seems to flop forward and cover too much of his face.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is the woman between dick and michelle in one of the pics, Dick's wife? Has anyone posted a pic of the red dress?
  11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Um :shuffle: .... Dick Button is definitely not married (and hasn't been since his divorce from Slavka Kohout nearly 30 years ago)

No sign of the red dress yet, but perhaps it will turn up in the People magazine article on Friday or elsewhere.
  12. aftershocks

I'm pretty sure Clay's hat is fit for his head. Obviously, that's the way it's supposed to be worn. :) He looks mighty fine to me. Michelle and Clay are truly a special couple.

Thanks all for the additional photos. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures, especially of the entire wedding party and the red dress.
  13. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

Congrats to the happy couple!
  14. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Wow! I am certainly very happily surprised at the news! I didn't expect the wedding to take place so soon after the engagement, BUT I am not at all surprised that it happened in a low-key way. What can I say that hasn't already been said in this thread? "Congratulations" doesn't seem like quite enough after having watched this lovely young woman grow up from a skating phenom to a champion to a college and graduate school graduate to a politico to a newlywed. I am beyond thrilled! Michelle looks so happy, and so does Clay. I wish this couple nothing but happiness in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for hunting down all the great stories and photos :)

O-
    Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I just wish that she had surprised us all by having her wedding dress made by someone else than Wang. Just to throw everyone off.
    But it's a lovely gown and she looks good in it.

One of the junior officers at the base where I work mentioned the wedding this morning at the brief. I wanted to snark "I just hope she can live on a lieutenant's pay", but thought it best kept to myself. :shuffle:

Michelle, my Pell :slinkaway
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Oh, Rex. :rofl: It's good to see that your form has not suffered from your absence.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's bitterly cold on the East Coast today, so Michelle and Clay picked the perfect day in January to get marry.
  18. aftershocks

:lol: Rex in form fine or otherwise, indeed!

Hi there Rex, Happy New Year! How magnanimous of you to drop in to the celebration. ;)

I doubt MK was interested in "throwing anyone off," re who was going to design her wedding gown. Obviously she was more interested in "throwing everyone off" re the scheduled wedding date. It was pretty much known and confirmed that Vera would be doing the designing, as soon as Michelle's engagement was announced. Vera designed skating costumes for Michelle throughout her skating career, and as Michelle said, "Vera knows my body and my lines really well." Pell, for the course Vera, Bravo!

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.c...michelle-kwan-wants-a-vera-wang-wedding-gown/

BTW, Rex, keeping your inane "snark" to yourself in the briefing room was surely a good idea. Probably ditto for this thread too, but what the heck. ;) Anyway, did you think your clever yet idiotic observation might advance the cause of increasing pay for lieutenants in the military? You might be better off organizing a Lieutenants United for Better Pay group, and lobbying Congress, or Mrs Obama and Dr. Jill Biden. :p

In regard to Clay in particular, since he doesn't really need to work for money, that's even more reason to admire him for serving as a coast guard lieutenant and working on the National Security Council staff at the White House.

Michelle, Ma Belle Pell! Oh yes, indeed it does rhyme, beautifully. :cheer:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I really like that dress. It's a nice change from the basic strapless, mermaid grown that a majority of brides seem to choose now days. Love the ponytail, too. Michelle would have rocked an elegant up-do for the ceremony, but her long look was pretty, too.
  20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Is this really necessary?
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Necessary? No. Expected? But of course.
  22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Wow. I guess you are too thick to realize that I was just joking. Being a Navy vet and working for the Coast Guard FOR commissioned officers, I'm quite aware of what the officer pay scale is - probably a bit more than you, chica. But thanks for thinking that my snark is clever and idiotic at the same time.
    aftershocks, there will never be another like you - and I thank God for that ;).
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    succubus and (deleted member) like this.
  23. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

aftershocks, I'm very sorry that God deigned you the Official Defender of every perceived slight against all of your favorite skaters. It must be a very time-consuming job. I am very glad I have never been appointed to such a position:saint:
    colinmom71, Yazmeen, taf2002 and 17 others like this.
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I owe you some rep! :respec:
  25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Got yer back on that one!
  26. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:rofl:

aftershocks, get a grip. We are all enjoying the wonderful news and if you can't have a sense of humour about these things then maybe you should give the Kween a break and go find something to post about your other object of uberdom. I am sure there is a Johnny thread out there that needs your attention. ;)
  27. aftershocks

Yes, I know you were joking Rex. I was too, but I guess not enough for your enjoyment. ;)

The fact you guys are taking my response so defensively I think says way more about how you feel about me in particular than it does about how you or I feel about Kween.

Ahhh, the usual suspects. Don't let my uber-enthusiasm spoil your enjoyment of the wonderful news.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

You know, as much as I loved the ceremony gown, I am not loving the reception one. It is a bit too juvenile for MK. Also, makes me think of one of these.

:shuffle:
  29. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I heard the dress came with a free Waterford candy dish.
  30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Passive aggression ≠ "joking"
  31. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm really not a fan of it either. MK has great style, and the ceremony gown was amazing, but the one at the reception is a disappointment.
  32. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Thanks!! :)
  33. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose New Member

Your "uber-enthusiasm" for Michelle, always so eloquently stated, would be a great addition to The Michelle Kwan Forum.
  34. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

If any of you are really bothered by Rex's post, I suggest you stay far away from many of the articles about the marriage on the internet. The comment sections are full of unbelievably really nasty comments.
  35. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I don't think it was Rex's post that "bothered".
  36. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Nasty? Those aren't even close to being nasty. Now if you want to read some nasty comments at the ends of articles about someone or a group of people, go to any article on the British Royals over at the Daily Mail. Now *those* are vicious and nasty. The comments about Michelle and Clay's Wedding don't even come close!!
  37. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Ya know, on one end of the batshit spectrum there is "uber-enthusiasm"...on the other end there is "obnoxious as fcuk". Guess which end you dwell on?
    Cyn, antmanb, Habs and 5 others like this.
  38. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Fashion commentary: LOVED both of Michelle's very different gowns. From classy/dignified/elegant to fun/flirty/fab! You go, Michelle! Wish I could have done a costume change mid-wedding. What a great idea! Instead, I ended up getting my fishtail stepped on and my dress ripped ... good times :lol:

O-
  39. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am looking forward to seeing the red dress. I love those.
  40. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I've been googling 'Michelle Kwan red wedding dress' for several days now without result. I afraid it's gonna become her fashion equivalent of 'The Bells of Moscow'. We ain't never gonna see it :lol: