Michelle Kwan campaign ad for her husband

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lamarenee, Jul 25, 2014.

1. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

2. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Hurray! He is behind, but with Michelle's help, just maybe....

3. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I loved Michelle's skating as much as anyone. However, I don't think someone should get elected to a political position, especially one as monumental as governor, based on who is wife is/ her celebrity. If he is to be governor, he should be elected based on his own political track record.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Thank god Reagan never used his status as an actor when he ran for Governor of California.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

This isn't the first time a candidate's wife, celebrity or not, has made a campaign ad to tout her husband's position on women's issues. It's a common attempt to reach women voters.

6. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

:rofl: Or Schwarzenegger, the Governator! :p

7. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: MICHELLE KWAN FOR PRESIDENT!!! YES WE KWAN!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm UMBS Go Blue, and I approve this message. :encore:

Kasey, skatemomaz, alilou and 17 others like this.
  8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

"Yes we Kwan" Is that new? Lol lol

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that Arnold's celebrity helped him get elected? I am shocked I tell you, shocked!

10. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Track record. I agree; however, folks are elected to office for all kinds of reasons these days ... celebrity being one of many, including just simply being wealthy and having the funds to launch and sustain a successful campaign. At least Michelle Kwan's type of celebrity is based upon good solid values like dedication, hard work, and commitment (unlike Kim Kardashian's type of celebrity). Having a solid First Lady is one of many attributes that make a politician/office holder effective.

O-

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I may not approve of many of things Kim K does, but have no doubt that she great commitment and dedication to what she does and I am sure she works extremely hard too maintain her level of celebrity. Just because one doesn't approve of the work, doesn't mean the person doing it isn't committed or hard working.

12. OliviaPug

Maintaining celebrity is one thing, but how exactly did Kim K. obtain her celebrity???????

Making and marketing a sex tape with a rapper didn't take years of commitment, sacrifice and dedication. And that is what Kim K. did to obtain her celebrity. And, as far as looks are concerned, Kim K. was/is genetically gifted. You simply can't compare that "commitment" to a world-class athlete. Sorry. It's a laughable comparison, imho.

O-

13. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I find there is a difference between using your *own* celebrity vs that of your spouse.

A thing I find odd about American politics: The focus on the spouses. I don't even know the names of any of the Danish prime ministers spouses, what they do and so forth. Except for the one guy who was married to a prominent member of a different party...

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

15. OliviaPug

Yeah, there's a difference, but it's been done forever ... in all countries, in fact. Why not use every advantage you have? It's done in every facet of life. And, again, having a spouse with good solid values and a proven track record of commitment in athletics, education, etc. can only been seen as an advantage and a valid reason to vote for someone. Politicians don't operate in a vacuum, and are most times influenced by those closest to them, including their spouses and the values of their spouses. "Birds of a feather ..." and all that.

O-

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Exactly. And no matter what happens, Clay and Michelle both have taken the political campaign plunge and have gained invaluable experience and voter recognition. Clearly, they are both dedicated and committed to public service (as well as to making serving others the focus of their lives together).

17. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Well, I'm not French or even on the continent of Europe but I sure heard and knew more about Carla Bruni than I did ol' Nicolas what's-his-name! I don't think this political spousal attention thing is uniquely American.

18. maatTheViking

Probably, possibly not - but it is a HUGE difference when comparing the two places I have lived.

19. UMBS Go Blue

Also, in Denmark, the fact that Helle Thorning-Schmidt had a "pan-European" marriage to Stephen Kinnock (son of the former UK Labour Party leader) was widely known and reported before she rose to power, and became controversial just before the most recent Danish election campaign, as he was accused of underpaying Danish taxes due to his Switzerland-based job. Stephen himself was the subject of smears during the campaign itself.

While Stephen Kinnock didn't play a significant role in the campaign, Helle's family life was documented on Danish television while she was Opposition Leader.

20. maatTheViking

well, things are changing, and that itself was very unusual. But here he was accused of something illegal.

What I have not seen, is the way spouses are used in campaigns PROACTIVELY like they are here. And I still find it strange ;).

that said, I see nothing wrong with Kwan endorsing her husband :), why wouldn't she!

21. UMBS Go Blue

It could also be the case that there's an element of sexism hidden in there, as she's the first female prime minister of Denmark and may be subject to a certain level of scrutiny not previously seen with male politicians and their families.

By the way, Stephen has been shortlisted for a safe Labour seat in the UK parliament from Wales, all while his wife is simultaneously carrying out her Danish role as prime minister. Expect their marriage to become an issue in their respective campaigns, both due in 2015.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Sonny Bono, Fred Grandy, Bill Bradley, Helen Gahagan Douglas.

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. The notion that a Kardashian is hard-working is laughable. Do Kardashians even put on their own make-up?

I'm reminded of the time Paris Hilton got paid a million or so just to make an appearance at an airport and wave to the crowd (IIRC).

24. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Paris got paid for her new Hardee's hamburger commercial. The company hopes it will increase burger sales the way her first one for them did. I thought her 15 minutes of fame had passed.

25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

You don't think Kim K is hard working? Do you know how many Kim K wannabes there are out there that will never have her level of celebrity? I don't care for Kim or what she stands for, I think she is a terrible role model especially for young girls, but I am absolutely sure she works extremely hard to stay relevant and in the news. The woman has clothing lines, perfume lines, at least two different reality shows and I am sure a whole host of other business ventures. You simply don't get to her level of sustained recognition without working at it. Her 15 minutes should have been up years ago, yet she is still with us. I don't even watch her shows, I rarely buy tabloid magazines, yet I know about her. That take some serious effort on her part.

One can make a value judgement on the worth of someone's work, but even if you think what they do is worthless, they can still be working hard at it. What she does is completely different from a competitive athlete which is why I thought the original comparison Olivia made was odd. It is apples and oranges. Michelle was in an early entry sport, Kim K is in the entertainment industry. You can't compare the activities ... What can be compared is the effort each puts into their respective careers. Neither got where they are being a slouch in the work department.

26. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

I think it is tbh.
    Carla Bruni was famous, more than Sarkozy and before she married him. It's not that she became famous because she was married to him.
    Anyway, we are speaking about being engaged, publicly involved, in your husband campaign thing.
    That's not common in Europe at all. I think that is because in many countries in Europe it's not too much about individuals rather than the Party, or something in between the two.
    Personally, I don't care who's married to whom and is she enough a good wife to him or not. It's their personal business.

I'm speaking in general not particularly about Kwan, because If I'm not mistaken Kwan was already involved, in her own, with some of these issue (women, children etc.) right?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  27. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Congrats to Michelle & her hubby. :)

But I just wanted to say that in RUSSIA the wife & children of the president are never seen nor heard, no pictures, nada.

28. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

Wow, watching these 2 clips of Michelle gave me goose bumps. She is much more than a legendary skater. Her dedication to public service...she really does have a big heart.

Mag, I agree with you.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Japanfan

The wording in the speech was off. 'Equality for women. . .in the area of domestic violence' doesn't really ring true as equality with men is not the pertinent issue.

30. Japanfan

I don't know that this is true. She has a whole host of staff who work for her, serve her every need, promote her, and publicize her.

And so far as I know, she is not working on film sets starting at 5 a.m..