Michael weiss

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by eurodance2001, Feb 8, 2012.

1. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Thinking back to his career he always seemed kinda blah and boring but I saw his 'on the waterfront' program from the 99-00 season and how he skated that in Nice was amazingly good. Speed,atttack, aggression, clean quad and interesting choreography. Too bad about his double axel mistake and that none of his prior or subsequent work was all that interesting or dynnamic. This program was a great vehicle for him. Any thoughts?

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I loved his Carmen.

Actually if his later numbers weren't so pretentious, he could actually leave an impression as an extremely musical skater. His classical programs were always great.

3. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Liked his Santana program...

4. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I went back to watch it too. I really disliked his hunched shoulders and stiff upper body, but wow, he actually had surprisingly good edges and skating skills in general. They were particularly noticeable during the step sequences. No jerkiness and his turns were so clean and smooth! Better than Plushy I'd say! :D

5. theshrew

theshrew New Member

6. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I loved him !
    I remember him skating to Carmen at the 2000 Worlds in Nice.
    I still have his qualification round & free skate on VHS.
    He seemed like a nice guy.
    I saw him skate at Stars On Ice to a country song, he was really good.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I did to. I thought that was a breakthrough for him in artistry and maturity.

I also liked the Beethoven LP from 1998.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think that was Weiss' best program. It was done by Brian Wright. I don't think Weiss worked again with Wright after that, which was a shame.

9. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I too loved the Santana program. I do wish it had used the Abraxas album segue from Black Magic Woman into Oye Como Va, though.

What a wonderful pro career he has had. It's a shame that he didn't have the pro competition opportunites that Boitano, Browning, et al, experienced.

I have had several chance encounters with him and can confirm that Michael Weiss is indeed a very nice guy.

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Didn't Wright also choreograph his 1997 or 1998 short programs?

11. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I guess I should go back and re-watch some of these programs that are being mentioned! I remember seeing them at the time and not being all that wowed but I was just an early teen so lots of the details couldve been lost on me! Interesting mentions!

12. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed his skating. I particularly like his Santana and Carmen programs, and the Beethoven one was nice as well. Didn't care for Mulan nor the civil war one, and malagueƱa was kinda "eh" as well, and I can't for the life of me remember what he skated in slc. :(

13. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I'm trying to recall 10 years ago but I think it was spanish for the short programe & classical for the free.
    I think he skated early in the short & him landed a quad combination in the free.
    But I can't quite remember.

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think he is one of those skaters who is better as a pro. He enjoys crowd interaction and is always in shape when he performs. I don't think he enjoyed being held to a classical standard when he was competing.

15. berthesghost

I know he's a big crowd pleaser in shows and obviously works very hard at it, but personally I can't watch all of those break-dancing to boy-bands programs he does. I enjoyed him far, far more as an eligible skater.

16. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I always wanted to like Weiss...he made it difficult sometimes. But I will say, I always admired his line. He had beautiful spin positions and a great landing position on his triple lutz.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Michael Weiss had very good skating skills. I believe he was a medalist at the US National Championships - Senior Figures in the early 1990s.

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I love Wright's programs for him

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I was rather neutral about him when he was competing, but as a pro skater he is great. A couple of times I saw him performing in ice shows he was very entertaining. He kept all his skills, it seems, and added more.

20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I liked Weiss until his wife started doing his choreography. After that...not so much.

21. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Michael Weiss..... the golden shark in the martini glass of figure skating, as Prancer would say. :rofl:

I always loved his skating, his psycho fans, his equally psycho cat-lady detractors, the :argue: on the internet about him, and the craziness (and faux craziness) that he inspired at competitions.

I remember reading a review of the Grand Prix Final in 2003 that listed his elements as "Mike Pike - scream - triple flip - fall" and nearly hyperventilating with laughter. :lol:

22. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Weiss's worst LP was the one with him wearing the Tattooed shirt.

24. berthesghost

^ was that an lp or an sp? Some of his programs I remember very well and others just kinda bleed together. I did think it was odd that his website doesn't have any program information like other skaters do. heck, even some wiki pages give detailed breakdowns over the years including music cuts etc...

25. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I remember that costume - was it pre- or post-Lisa?

26. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

I nearly spit out my water due to laughter upon reading "Mike Pike" -- there's a phrase I haven't heard mentioned in years!

27. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the shoot-the-duck move?

28. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

Yep, officially submitted by him and his handlers on his planned content sheet (a form that is submitted to officials and broadcasters) as the "Mike Pike." I saw the form. With my own eyes. It feels like it was yesterday. :yikes:

:EVILLE:

29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Was it a variation of some kind? I vaguely remember it, and not particularly liking it (along with that freedom blade move where he glided on heels with his toes up off the ice) but was there something about it that justified a name change?

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

During - Lisa. They're still married ;)