Michael Jackson family's 'Wrongful death' lawsuit against AEG- new developments

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

2. duane

duane New Member

How MJ died is not in question.

3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

After watching "This is it," I felt that regardless of the specific reason he died, he really worked himself to death, with many people watching and encouraging. He's responsible for his own very bad choices, but he clearly wasn't in good mental health, and he was pushed too hard. It will be interesting to see how this case goes.

At what point does one adult become responsible for another adult? Ultimately, unless they were signing off on his "good" health for insurance purposes, which would be fraud and possibly proximate cause, I don't think they had a duty to save him from himself. A moral duty, sure, but not a legal duty.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  4. duane

duane New Member

I think the suit should have been thrown out. So what AEG "pressured" Murray to have MJ ready. When it comes to agreements, contracts, dates, and deadlines, people are pressured. The Jacksons' claim AEG executives could have foreseen that Murray would use dangerous drugs in treating MJ. Murray was a legitimate doctor. He was qualified, and didn't have a criminal history or, it appears, one with a long list of malpractice claims against him. The decisions made in treating MJ were made by Murray, not AEG.

5. Vash01

Are you a judge? A law professor? An attorney?

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

How do people feel they know better than the judge? From the article (bolding my own):

I saw this movie in the theatre and only saw joy. Which exact parts of the movie are you referring to that made you think he was working himself to death? :huh:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Yes, Michael died as a result of the drugs Murray gave him but had no one in the family noticed how thin Michael was or that he was so dependent on drugs to sleep and to wake up? Maybe, just maybe if the family had not been so dependent on Michael to financially support them, he would not had been preparing for a world tour he was not physically or emotionally ready to perform.

8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Murray is a doctor; it would not be unreasonable for any of the Jacksons to give his words (that MJ should take these drugs, or otherwise was OK) more weight than they should have done. Also, employers are responsible for torts committed by their employees, so, if Murray was an employee of AEG (or AEG pressured him) , then AEG is responsible.

9. duane

duane New Member

Vash, what part of "I think" did you not understand?

10. Vash01

I saw the movie 'This is it' in a theater and saw no indication that Michael was being pushed beyond his physical limits. He sang and danced great, but with some restraint, as one would in a practice session, vs. public performance. He appeared very happy in his interactions with his supporting cast. I don't know what gave you the impression that he was too weak to be preparing for that tour.

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

MJ was horrific drug addict and everyone around him new it; as did most of his fans and casual observers. MJ knew the consequences of taking drugs like that even under the guise of an MD who gave it to him.

He was a very strong willed man and would have done anything to make that concert a success and from what we saw in the movie, it probably would have been. He just should have used rest, good food and exercise as way of staying healthy and fit not heavy narcotics.

People need to blame someone, and if that person is dead the target needs to go elsewhere. If a judge feels anyone else is to blame it will come out in court.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Michael Jackson was an adult who made his own choices. Unless his doctor lied to him, I don't see that this case is winnable. That doesn't mean that legally there isn't enough evidence to bring it to trial but it's going to be a tough sell IMO.

13. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I feel empathy for Michael Jackson's children in losing their father... but I feel torn because it is not like he just began abusing drugs because of this tour. For me, I find it difficult to say that AEG is more culpable than his own family who watched him abuse prescription drugs for years. MJ choose Murray as his personal physician; MJ dictated to the physician what drugs he wanted. Even if Jackson felt pressure from AEG (and surely his own self) to perform well, he and his physician were the final people responsible for the poor decisions made which ultimately led to his death. At least that's how I feel. :(

14. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Just because a Judge doesn't throw out a case at the very early stages, does not mean the claims will ultimately succeed.

I agree with Judiz, Juliann, MacMadame, and piebeck. MJ was an adult with money and means to do what he wanted ... and he did exactly that. No one who worked for him or who was close to him apparently had the power to stop him. MJ was a perfectionist. I can't see AEG putting more pressure on MJ than MJ put on himself.

I truly hope the family can find some peace. IMHO, pursuing AEG will not get them anywhere and will not bring them closure, if that's what they're looking for.

O-

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I felt the same way as Coco. I didn't see him being weak, but he was very thin - and that entire gigantic and expensive production depended on him alone (not like, say, with a band, where if one of the members got sick they could be replaced). That, along with all of the business dealings that would go into organizing a tour that size, would be a lot of pressure and worry.

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

DrugFacts: Understanding Drug Abuse and Addiction

17. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I think most folks understand on some level how serious and complex drug or alcohol addiction can be, but blaming everyone but the abuser (e.g., family, friends, business associates) isn't the answer either. There are underlying reasons an addict becomes an addict, that are personal to the addict and why they either can or can't get clean. Every case is unique.

I lived with a drug/alcohol abuser for years and tried in every way I could think of to save or support or not enable him, and none of it worked. The only thing I learned is that I can't understand the changed brain of an addict. There is a lot of sorrow, that's for sure, but I don't blame myself.

O-

18. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

This. So sad for you but glad you've gotten to a place where you don't blame yourself.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Vash01

Michael Jackson was always thin. He did not eat a lot, from what I had read about him. He was never a big, muscular man. At age 50, he was naturally not as physically strong as he was at 30. He was clearly capable of singing and dancing, based on those rehearsals. He wanted to make a comeback, and wanted to take that risk.

Addiction is never good, and personal responsibility is always there. In most cases it leads to tragic consequences. However, when it comes to a legal case, the only thing that matters is the law, and that's what the judge was looking at. That's what the thread is about. The US legal system allows people to bring lawsuits against whoever may bear some responsibility (case in point- the infamous McDonald case) and that's what we are seeing. It does not deny the responsibility of the individual toward himself, but if another person has a hand in it, a lawsuit is justifiable under those laws. It does not mean that the verdict will be in favor of the Jackson family, but the judge has seen enough evidence to say that a trial is justifiable.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't know if "wanted" was the right word, seeing as a lot of reports suggested that he was hugely in debt and this was the best way for him to earn some $$$.

And no one is saying he wasn't capable of performing - This Is It shows that he was. However, working on parts of a show in rehearsal are not the same as performing that entire show all the way through, night after night, on a long tour.

21. duane

duane New Member

AEG not liable! I'm so glad, as I think the last thing this nutty family needed was more money--which would only make them that much more nutty.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Vash01

23. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Don't know about the money/nutty linkage, but it's amazing how the trash of this family continues to live off Michael, as they essentially have done from the time he was five years old. It's not like people were turning out to Jackson 5 concerts at watch Jackie.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Well...whatever money that might have won might have ended up in Wade Robson's hands eventually... :shuffle:

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Absolutely! Their cash cow is dead & they've been running around in a panic even since. Has Mama or Papa ever worked at any kind of job since the days of the Jackson 5?

26. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

And all they end up doing is dragging his and the families many problems up again. I guess if they think they can get a dollar it's worth it.

27. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I wonder what they'll try next?

Honestly, if Katherine Jackson wants to blame anyone for the way Michael's life turned out, she should point her finger directly at her husband.

28. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I thought I read that his estate was making much more money now that's he dead than before he died, would his kids be the only ones to get $$$ or would his mother, his father, and all of his brothers and sister get $$$ too.

29. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, the only ones who got money under his will were his mother and his kids ... if so, they would be the only ones to get $$$ from the estate (and they would have been the only ones to get money from the lawsuit, if it had gotten any).

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i assume katherine supports most of the rest of the children. she is a beneficiary of the estate and wont live forever.