Meryl and Charlie will headline "Ice Chips" in Boston

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Jan 26, 2010.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Ryan Bradley has also been added: Ice Chips official site

Show Dates & Times
    Saturday, April 10 – 1:00pm
    Saturday, April 10 – 7:00pm
    Sunday, April 11 – 2:00pm

Bright Arena
    Harvard University Athletic Complex
    Soldiers Field Road
    Allston, MA

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Cool. . . but kind of close to the Jimmy Fund's annual fundraiser, Evening with Champions (April 16-17), in the same arena on the Harvard campus. I guess you can definitely get your fill of benefiting good causes by seeing great skaters!

5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

So far it appears that the roster of skaters featured may be different. Nav/Bombs are the ice dancers in the latter and Evora and Ladwig will appear at An Evening with Champions as well. They still have to announce who the "young, current" skaters are soon.

This show generally happens in October, but I guess Harvard was dissuaded from doing it then because of the Olympics and the frenzied schedule of the skaters.

6. literaryfreak

For some reason, I thought Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates were going to be performing at this show when I checked a few months ago. Perhaps they couldn't make it or they're the "young, current skaters"?

7. sk9tingfan

You might be right and I might be wrong. I'll check.

Kimberly Navarro and Brent Bommentre, 2010 National Pewter Medalists per the website. I hope that they do add some younger skaters. Otherwise, we looking at what is relatively speaking, a geriatric cast.

8. IceChannel

IceChannel New Member

So, Ice Chips occurs at Harvard at the above dates, Stars On Ice hits the Boston on April 11 at 4pm, and the 40th Annual Evening With Champions takes place at Harvard April 16-17! WOW - that's a lot of skating within seven days for the folks of Boston.

9. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Helps make up for not having COI anymore.

Cast changes have plagued EWC in recent years. Skaters' Grand Prix training and competition schedules have conflicted with its traditional October date. The recent casts have been less stellar than in the past.

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Wheeee I can't wait to see Meryl & Charlie skate live!

11. literaryfreak

I called the Harvard Box Office today, and they said they haven't received any ticketing information about Ice Chips yet, even though the website says you can buy them online through the Harvard Box Office's website. Just thought I'd pass this info along, if anyone else is trying to buy tickets just yet.

12. Sylvia

Just bumping this thread back up for this weekend's shows!

13. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

The BlueRidge gang will be at the Saturday afternoon show! :rollin:

14. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

15. literaryfreak

I called the Skating Club of Boston a week or two ago, and they said that on Sunday, the order of performances will be different so that D/W will be done in time to make it to SOI. So they will be at all 3 Ice Chips shows.

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think I read that in an article or maybe in the D/W thread. I can't believe how busy they are these days!

17. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

It's my understanding that the Saturday 1pm show has been sold out. Parking can sometimes be an issue and depending on what other sporting events are going on at Harvard, you could end up across the street. On Sunday, there is an MS walk in that area, but I think it should be over by 1:30pm.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They're still listed on the SOI site for the East Rutherford show on Saturday, 10 April, at 7:30. Even if they were to skate in Boston at 7pm sharp, even by private plane, it's hard to see how they'd make it to East Rutherford before the show ended.

19. literaryfreak

Both the Skating Club of Boston and the Harvard Box Office are selling tickets for Ice Chips, so in case one is sold out, try the other.

I'm thinking D/W won't be at the NJ SOI show.

20. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I went to the Evening with Champs website. Is the cast listed the one from last year? Anybody knows who may show up?

21. sk9tingfan

This link will take you to the skater roster for this year's event.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~ewc/performers.htm

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I have a feeling you're right about that, :( even though they're still listed for it.

23. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I went to Ice Chips today. Very good show, entertaining, one of the better ones I have been to (and I have been to a LOT of Ice Chips!). Sometimes they drag a little, others fly by, this was probably the flyest yet for me.

Each group number was based on a country and had appropriate costumes and music to go with them. The Indian themed one was especially energetic and entertaining. I also liked Great Britain. The dresses were these punk tutu kind of things, jazzy.

Encore of Boston did an entertaining school-based number with sad kids in parachocial school outfits suddenly getting a jazzy teacher and having fun, with lots of props, of course. Especially impressive were several people jumproping while wearing skates. I am going to HAVE to try that! Though I may end up in hospital....

Donlon & Speroff were very good. I remember Gretchen as a lovely singles skater, great to see her doing so well in pairs.

My girlfriend had never seen Jason Wong skate, and from the minute he started stroking she was in love with his smoothness.

Ryan Bradley skated a modified version of his free program. Bless him for showing up despite his injury, but he did look a little bit in pain in both numbers. He went down hard right away (a quad toe?/triple toe?), but got back into it. He did amazing backflips in both numbers.

Davis & White did their Indian original dance. Even more amazing in person. I never get sick of this. The twizzles were perfect, as usual.

The synchro teams were all great, from preliminary up. I know nothing about synchro, but they all looked good to me.

In general, everyone skated pretty cleanly today, especially for a first show of three.

Ross Miner did a comedic program, totally rocked the house, that kid can entertain. His cantilever didn't hurt either, I have been amazed by that since I saw him in a club event when he was a tiny kid.

Stephen Carriere did something different for him, kind of a comedic number with props and stage makeup. I didn't recognize the song, but it was refreshing to see him not doing something "deep." He did some nice jumps, and even made a botched triple loop fun, brushing the ice with his hand as he fought to save it, smiling at the snow on his hand, and cheekily blowing it away and smiling, like "I meant to do that."

Castelli & Shnapir were reallly great. They relate so much as a team, you can really feel the teamwork, "two shall skate as one," Dickie. They also had some good show tricks, my girlfriend kept pinching me during the headbanger, she was scared.

Ryan Bradley's second number was Kung Foo Fighting, very entertaining, and he did some kind of hitch kicky jump that looked like martial arts and looked very difficult to do on skates. He visibly winced after the backflip, hope he is okay. I want him to stick around forever!

Davis & White closed the show with a slow version of Billie Jean and some nice non-competition-approved moves. The Ice Chips crowd always loves ice dance, never mind Olympic Silver worthy ice dance, so nice to see them in person.

In general it was nice to see the Missing Art Forms - split jumps, illusion spins, "normal" spirals, Ina Baeurs, an amazing shoot the duck with the boy leaning with his back parrallel to the ice (wish I could remember who did this), etc., some fun skating instead of "grab the blade, count, rinse, spit."

If you are on the fence, go, you will like it! And it's for a great cause as well and cheap ($20).

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Sounds great! Thanks for the report!

25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report, Bonita! Sounds like it was a great show.

26. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I went this afternoon and agree with Bonita - great show.

Stephen C skated to 'Mr. Cellophane' from Chicago
    Jason Wong was great.
    Also impressive was Yasmin, can't recall her last name, junior skater, very promising.
    Castelli & Schnapir - very impressive, interesting moves.
    Bradley is quite the performer and a fav of the crow, he did a back flip at the end of his short program.

I went with a good friend and her sister. I will sit with my buddies sister anytime for skating. She is a music teacher and knows the names of all the music.
    We had lunch before the show and we were chatting about the Olys and music and especially common music. I made a comment about 'Requiem for a Dream' and they had not heard of it. Lo and behold one of the programs was to that music.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. jlai

jlai Title-less

What elements did Jason Wong do?

28. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Jason did a couple of double axels, I think, can't remember if he did/tried a triple. He did a huge and lovely spread eagle.

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thanks.

30. Sylvia

Yasmin Siraj. :) She's the 2010 U.S. Junior silver medalist, age 13, and just won a silver medal in her international debut last weekend (Novice Ladies at Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy).

Thanks to everyone who has shared their reviews and impressions!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.