Mervin Tran Article (French)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by flowerpower, Dec 16, 2011.

1. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/au...se_B13b_patinage-artistique_3974_section_POS2

Interesting article about Mervin Tran. He was born in Saskatchewan, a decent singles skater but not making too much headway, and was thinking of retiring when Bruno Marcotte contacted him from Montreal and asked him to try out in pairs with Narumi. She wanted to train in Canada, but needed a partner, and Marcotte thought Mervin might be a good match.

Mervin thought seeing Montreal for a few days would be fun, tried out with Narumi and before he knew it he was a pairs skater!

He comments on the citizenship issue briefly.
  2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Translation:

There is no way he is going to get citizenship if he cannot speak (let alone write) Japanese and does not live in Japan. Why does he keep maintaining the fiction that he might seek citizenship? To make someone at the Japanese Federation (or its backers) happy?
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skfan

skfan New Member

thank you vagabond for the translation. my french is as good as my japanese, so you really cleared many things up :D

as for why 'maintain the fiction,' i think he genuinely wants to experience the olympics--though the odds are against him, that's an understandable desire. and no pair wants to get dumped by their federation. speaking as a cynic outside the situation, who knows if JSF would back them (as strongly) if japan had a 100% japanese pair whose male partner could speak to the press without a translator, a team fully eligible for the olympics? all this aside from the issues of jump-landings...

i like mervin and there's been a number of times when the camera has zoomed in on narumi when i've thought, is this a japanese broadcast, a show in japan?

i understand many different broadcasters use the same camera angle at ISU events these days, so nationality probably has little to do with it. i've been watching pairs since the 80's and 90's and i'm not unfamiliar with the camera preferentially following the lady half of the pair. but there has been times when i've wondered whether this is a bit more extreme than the usual 'zoom in on the lady' bias. often times the camera has zoomed in on narumi even when they are side by side and the camera person doesn't have to choose whether to show both skaters.

i understand that japan has organized try-outs to get a pair and dance team in hopes of doing well in the olympic team competition. certainly japan has every right to represent itself to full advantage in the olympics, to decide which skaters, which pair and dance team to back, but it's conceivable that mervin and narumi might feel they are at risk of losing some support.

next, could someone kindly clarify if amelie lacoste is truly a blonde? ^__^ LOL i know... the archaisms aren't to be taken literally, but still ...
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

5. skfan

skfan New Member

6. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana New Member

"Blonde" can mean "girlfriend" in Canada. I guess you knew... ;)
  7. flowerpower

Only in Quebec. ;) And no, Amelie is not blonde, the word is just Quebecois French slang for girlfriend. :D

This expression is not used by English-speaking Canadians, and in fact Canadians outside Quebec generally have no knowledge of Quebec slang at all. Which is why people can study French in school in Ontario, go to Quebec and be unable to carry on a conversation, unfortunately. :(
  8. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana New Member

Not to be nicky picky, but francophone communities across the country watch French Canadian tv (TVA, SRC), watch QC programs and "blonde" is part of the language... That is based on friends in Alberta and Northern Ontario. That is said, an Anglophone wouldn't really learn it at school as they teach standard French (you know, the one without taste? :) )

http://tfo.org/pdf/Education/Guides/y_parait_que_immersion.pdf

Back to skating, I wonder how much French Mervin can speak these days. :)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  9. flowerpower

I agree, francophones often watch those channels, but anglophones normally learn "standard vanilla French" at school.

I'm guessing that Mervin speaks pretty good French, since his parents are Cambodian/Vietnamese (countries colonized by France) and he mentions getting French from his parents, plus he has lived in Montreal for several years and has a French-speaking "blonde". :D