Mervin Tran and Natasha Purich to skate together

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by danafan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

She has slightly poor jumping technique on sal, toe and especially axel. She doesn't look like she'll have the side-by-side jumps required by a champion unless she sorts that out. It's okay for an 85 pound girl but as she matures into a new body she will not be able to squeak those jumps out. I'm trying to be realistic and I promise I'm not a super pessimist! I just hope that it's resolved sooner rather than later.

Look at Vera Bazarova. Beautiful, beautiful pairs skater!! But her side-by-sides (although admittedly much worse than Natasha's) will hold that pair down from their true potential indefinitely. Such a shame.

As for her skating, she is no Narumi but with the right training she can improve lines, extension etc. Look at Meagan Duhamel. Trying to be more optimistic :)

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I am thrilled with this new pair. It is something I have hoped for. Looking forward to seeing them in Ottawa in Jan

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

As Natasha will be 18 in June, I think she's well past the ravages of the puberty bug. She's just an exceptionally petite woman, like Penny Coomes.

4. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Just a random question : had she split from Arcieri ? Or was the pair Purich/Arcieri broken so that she could skate with Tran ?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I watched her compete in Pairs at Jr Nationals in January (Silver medalists). She likely split with him afterwards to team with Tran.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Arcieri is pretty small both in height and build. There just aren't enough tiny girls out there. Maybe he can take a step back and grab someone out of novice...

8. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

This. Natasha's been about the same size for the past three seasons and doesn't show any sign of growing. She's also fairly consistent on her triple toe and salchow, whatever the technique issues may be.

I think that they may look a little rough and mismatched together at first, but so did Duhamel/Radford and look how well that turned out.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Tran and a new partner would go head-to-head with Takahashi/Kihara. T/K would have more automatic opportunities as Japan's lone entry, but if Tran's new partnership half as anointed as Gilles/Poirier, P/T should get some assignments as soon as he's released. If the Japanese Fed could keep him from getting international experience with his new partner for a season or two -- USFS held Piper Gilles for over two seasons from her last competition -- it would give T/K a head start.

The Japanese Fed also might want compensation for training him up, and I'm not sure Skate Canada pays for skaters' releases. As far as I know, they didn't try to mess with Tikhonov or Markuntsev, but these might be different times.

10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Maybe he should talk to Brooklee Han. I admit I know nothing about pairing up pairs skaters, and she is from Australia, and she has no experience, BUT, as soon as I saw her at Worlds I thought "pairs!" I believe she is only 4'8".

11. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Good points here-

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I think the whole idea of a "release" doesn't even come from the ISU Rules; it comes from the Olympic Charter:

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/olympic_charter_en.pdf

Tran has never been a national of Japan. I surmise that he doesn't need a release to skate for Canada.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I don't think that's true, though. Volosozhar needed to be released by the Ukrainian Fed before she could compete internationally for Russia at the one-year mark of her last competition for Ukraine (the Vancouver Olympics). She received Russian citizenship quickly, because she was if Russian ancestry.

The Olympics rule was to keep athletes from country hopping, and was more of a concern in Summer Olympics sports, although not unknown in winter sports.

14. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Good to hear that Mervin found a new partner. It would have been a shame to lose him as a pair skater.

It wasn't the Japanese Federation who "fired" him, it was Narumi. She decided to end the partnership, as Mervin said in the French article and other interviews/articles. The Japanese Federation always supported him (as he also confirmed) and according to my sources tried to keep the pair together. They were also supporting Mervin in his quest for citizenship.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's the ISU rules. You can't start representing another country unless your current federation agrees.

16. Vagabond

Has she ever said publicly what her thinking process was? Was it entirely her idea, or did her Federation try tempt or pressure her?

Volosozhar needed to be released because she was a Ukrainian citizen when she skated for Ukraine. Tran has never held Japanese citizenship. So what was required for her under the Olympic Charter wouldn't necessarily be required for her, and, as far I can tell, it isn't. And as for the ISU Rules....

Not exactly. You can alsp get permission from the ISU Council if your original federation refuses to grant the release:

Rule 109(2) says:

http://www5.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206227-223450-177140-0-file,00.pdf

I think that if the matter had to come to a vote, Tran would get that release. And that's why it's hard to imagine the Japanese Federation forcing a vote by denying a release.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. euterpe

If you are a citizen of the country you wish to represent, your current federation really can't prevent you. A request to the ISU Council can overrule the objection.

If you are not a citizen of the new country, then you are out of luck if your current federation says no. USFS allowed Piper Gilles to skate for Canada after a specified period of time. Piper at that time was not a Canadian citizen.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

When Piper Gilles asked for her release she had already sat out one full season without competing in 2010-11. USFS agreed to release her after one season (2011-12).

I'm sure we'll hear soon enough if Purich/Tran are eligible to compete internationally, if ready, in the fall of 2013.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

She had to wait to the beginning of a season, when her last event was part way through the season before she sat out. USFS could have released her immediately after 1.x seasons, but chose to hold her back for just the period where an exception could have been granted by the ISU. Even a two-year (total) hold would have made G/P eligible for late-season internationals and ranking points. The stall seems to have worked.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is a provision in the rules to force a release through a ISU Council vote, yes. But I can't remember it ever being invoked.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. Vagabond

Probably because it has never needed to be invoked.

In Morgan Matthews' case, for example, the Canadian Federation probably realized it wouldn't get the votes (since she wasn't a Canadian citizen) and so it didn't force the issue. In Mervin Tran's case, if the release is really necessary for some reason, the Japanese Federation probably realizes that the Canadian Federation can get the votes, since he is a Canadian citizen and, in fact, has never held Japanese citizenship. And the Japanese Federation has shown in the past that it likes saving face, so it is very likely not to force a vote it will lose.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Matthews didn't need to be a Canadian citizen to get an exception: she could have been granted Permanent Residency. However, they refused to release her partner, so they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. Piper Gilles may still not be a Canadian citizen, but USFS held on to her enough but not too long to make it not worth anyone's while.

It isn't clear whether the Japanese Federation will try to keep Tran out for another season by doing the same.

24. euterpe

Mervin Train was not a Japanese citizen, and IS a Canadian citizen. I don't think the Japanese federation will try to stop him skating for his own country.

25. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting! Wonderful to hear that the team clicked so quickly and that Tran thinks he can have even more success with Natasha.

Given that Tran mentions going for the third spot at the Olympics, he seems to think that a release from Japan won't be an issue. It's possible that he's even had discussions with them, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tweeted by Mervin Tran today :):
    "I wonder what are the chances of JSF inviting @tash_purich and I to NHK; would love to perform for the Japanese fans again."

27. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Why hasn't Piper gotten Canadian citizenship yet? Isn't she an Olympic hopeful?

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

We don't know that she hasn't. Once her mother gets/got citizenship through her mother (Gilles' maternal grandmother), Gilles would be eligible for citizenship. Weaver, who didn't qualify through her family but went through the Permanent Resident route, needed her citizenship to be expedited to compete at the Olympics. (She was already on the legal path to citizenship.)

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I doubt she has her Canadian citizenship yet. If she recently tweeted about getting into Ryerson, I think she would have tweeted about having obtained her citizenship. Judging by other tweets, she may likely be actively pursuing that goal.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it works that way. I was born in another Commonwealth country. I can get my kids citizenship in that country provided I do it before they turn 19. My kids, however, cannot expedite citizenship in that country for their kids. That privilege is only granted to the person actually born there. I don't actually know how it works in Canada, but if it is a similar situation, then Piper's mother may be able to get expedited citizenship through her mother who was born here, but that may not speed up Piper's citizenship process.

That said, I'm sure SC could pull some strings if needed.