Mervin Tran and Natasha Purich to skate together

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by danafan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ΓΌber

@skate_moivo: @chrisakadanafan Yes, with @tash_purich

From twitter.

Good luck to them!

PeterG, LynnW, Andora and 3 others like this.
  2. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Oh great for them!!!!! :D

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Great!! Good luck to them!!

4. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Disappointing news. She's not exactly in his league.

Wishing them all the best going forward. It's just too bad there isn't another girl who could skate with him.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given his height, his choices are extremely limited.

6. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Her solo elements do look very strong on youtube, maybe she will be more focused on pair with such a quality partner?

7. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Yay! :cheer: Hope they have great success, I love Mervin Tran.

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Thank you for providing the confirmation, danafan. The competition for the third pairs spot next year will be very interesting.

9. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Does Mervin switching countries affect his ability to get two GPs under the comeback skater rule? Either way, they'll almost certainly get SC if they progress reasonably well.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

A partial translation:

As has been the case throughout his career, Tran quickly landed on his skates. With Gauthier and Marcotte, he studied the list of candidates who might skate with him, and he quickly settled on Natasha Purich, a seventeen-year-old from Alberta, who was second at Junior Nationals with Sebastian Arcieri.

"I'm not the tallest of skaters [1.75 m], and Narumi was really tiny," says Tran. "But Natasha is even smaller [1.49 m] and has plenty of experience on the international scene. We're still at the very beginning of our relationship, but I think we have the potential to go far.

"I could not skate in competition this year, but I took the opportunity to continue my studies in mechanical engineering [at McGill] and work in the gym. I am now stronger, more solid [and better able] to carry my partner. And I am still only 22 years old, and I see myself still skating in 2018 and even in 2022."

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Best of luck to them.

13. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Her basic skating and speed need some work to catch up with him, but I wouldn't describe her as "not in his league" - she's got the same throws and jumps as Narumi has, with a lot more consistency on the jumps. And Natasha is a born performer - I'm expecting some great programs out of them. I really can't think of anyone in Canada who would be a better partner for him in terms of size and ability, so I'm extremely excited for this partnership!

14. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing them! :cheer2:

15. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Good luck to the new team. :)

16. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I had the opportunity to watch Natasha live at Junior Nationals this year. She competed in both the Pairs and Singles events. In Pairs, she and her partner won Silver.

In the Singles event, she seemed a fast skater. Although, that could have been excitement. I noticed her coach giving her the slow down hand signal after a jump fall.

I wonder if Mervin will move to Alberta, or if Natasha will move to Montreal?

17. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Natasha has been in Montreal for over a year. She was training there with Arcieri.

18. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Somebody needs to update her Wiki page ;)

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if Mervin had found anyone to skate w/yet. Nice to hear and yes, that 3rd spot for next year just got very interesting indeed...

Good luck to them.

20. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Purich and Tran with their new partnership. The battle for the third spot next season in Canada should be quite intense.

And I hope Richard Gauthier encourages Sebastian Arcieri to keep skating pairs too as with the right new partner he can continue to develop.

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I think that he's been out of competing internationally for Japan for long enough--I believe it's just 1 year that pairs/dance couples have to sit out before skating for another country.

Wishing them a great summer getting those pairs moves on track together!

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah they should be ok for next season IIRC.

23. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

So how does switching federations work for Mervin? Will Japanese fed release him?

24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

25. Vagabond

He's a Canadian citizen, and he will have sat out a complete season. I don't think he needs a release, but if he does, I think the Japanese Federation will be more than happy to give it to him, since they effectively "fired" him.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Looks like Canada may have yet another strong pair.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Or, if they subsidized his training with Takahashi and made him into a pairs skater, the Japanese Federation might want to protect their investment in Takahashi by preventing Tran from using the training he got because of them to compete with here.

We've been around this on FSU many times. There's nothing anyone has been able to cite in the ISU Constitution or Regulations that addresses whether a citizen of a country can be held against his/her will if s/he's been skating for another Federation. The skater can apply for an exception, but that can only be applied for under Rule 109 after the release has been denied. Volosozhar, for example, was released by the Ukranian Federation to skate for Russia. It was not automatic once she was granted Russian citizenship.

If Tran is released, there's nothing to stop him from skating for Canada, because he's a citizen and as a Pairs skater, he will already have not skated for 12 months for Japan next season.

28. Vagabond

How much "protection" can the Japanese Federation possibly get? (Serious question, even if it doesn't sound like it.)

I don't really know much about either skater's new partner other than that Takahashi's partner is new to pairs and Tran's isn't. It has always been my impression, however, that Tran is a much stronger skater than Takahashi. Breaking up the pair wasn't Tran's idea, Canada already has two very strong pairs that they can send to the team competition at the Olympics, and Tran will eventually be able to skate for Canada no matter what the Japanese Federation wants to do about it. So how much of a benefit can Japan derive from keeping Tran out of competition, assuming they can do so?

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

She is 4' 10" according to her ISU bio. Although, Skate Canada has her listed at 4' 8". She is a few inches shorter than Hayleigh Bell (the Jr. Pairs gold medalist at nationals), who is listed as 5' 1" at both ISU and Skate Canada.

Natasha's eyes are about level with Hayleigh's mouth...
    http://icepalace.ca/DesktopModules/...0866/756ac9fe-3138-4d9d-b501-6347cade7cbe.jpg

I suspect the Skate Canada site may be the most accurate, hence Natasha and Narumi are about the same height more-or-less. Narumi is listed as 4' 8" according to her ISU bio.
    I was at the Jr. Nationals with my sister-in-law, and we would sometimes referring to her as "little Natasha" :lol:. She was certainly the smallest of the single skaters.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He does need a release but I am sure that the Japanese federation won't cause any problems (or at least I hope so since it's Takahashi who dumped him and not the other way round).

If you had bothered to read this thread before asking your question, you would know the answer already.

Stephanie and (deleted member) like this.