Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2012 - NYC! (((Project Runway spoilers)))

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fergus, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Vera Wang was another mixed bag for me. I thought there were some fabulous pieces. In particularly the patterned silk chiffon dresses worn by Jaclyn Joblanski and Arizona Muse at the end were pretty fabulous. I was less convinced by the dusty pinks and greens. The black looks were fabulous, but seemed out of place.

I'm really interested to see the Herve Leger show at 2.

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Herve Leger should be starting any minute at youtube.com/liverunway

3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I didn't like it that much. I used to like his early bondage stuff more.

4. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I wasn't crazy about the dusty color palette or the gladiator shoes, but there were some good cocktail dresses.

5. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I think my issue is I like fall/winter better, there's so much more to see. And I don't take most of the men's fashion seriously, the guys are just hot to look at.

It's fun watching, though. I tried to walk like some of the models, with one foot directly in front of the other. No success ! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  6. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Just finished watching Narciso Rodriguez. For me, it was by far the best show I've seen this entire week.

7. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

When did this become the way to walk? Many of them even cross the stepping foot over the path of the other. Between the way they have to pick up their feet to do this and the ridiculous platform shoes that are the vogue these days, most of the models look like emaciated Clydesdale horse, clippedy-cloppedying down the runway.

And in the Leger show in particular, they looked like sacks of bones. Sacks of bones wrapped in bandages clippedy-cloppedying around the trackrunway.

8. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

When I took a modeling class waaaaaay back in 1983, this is how they taught us to walk. For those of us with no hips, it's supposed to give the illusion of a figure. Or something. My instructor was kind of insane....

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Crossing keeps a model from swaying side to side and bobbing up and down as she walks. It requires the model to pick up her feet. A small amount of cross without the Clydesdale stomp seems attractive to me.

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

ITA, along with Madame Herrera and Zac Posen, some of the most :swoon: looks of the week!

ETA: HUGE props to Costello Tagliapietra! IMHO, it makes perfect sense that two bears would know how to make garments that could be worn comfortably by women of MANY different body types. :respec:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I could have done without the fur-like pieces at J. Mendel and the models' hair, but I liked his colors and the sleek, flowing styles.

13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Wow, Michael Kors was surprisingly tacky and boring at the same time, imho. :wideeyes: :yawn:

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Think the old guy is starting to have "taste issues." Wonder if he'll be the next aufee.

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Marchesa was :swoon: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2012RTW-MARCHESA

Another really interesting collection was Olivier Theysken's line Theyskens' Theory: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2012RTW-TTHEORY

I thought Tory Burch had a really strong commercial collection. A lot of women would love to wear those clothes.

For once, I was very mixed about Rodarte. I generally think they are beyond fabulous, but I felt there were some real misses here. I didn't like the prom dress silhouette, but I thought some of the more simple pieces were amazing.

For me, Narciso Rodriguez is still, far and away the best collection of the week: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2012RTW-NRODRIGU

I'm really curious to see what Marc Jacobs does tomorrow night.

16. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Fun show at Anna Sui. They turned down the lights, the music was great, and the girls showed personality (and I sense they were the A listers). Most everything was printed.

17. soxxy

soxxy Guest

ETA:

Ralph Lauren takes a couple of days to get his video up. Gorgeous high-def, one angle, breathtaking. A couple of cutaways to Olivia Wilde who's supposed to wear one of the gowns to the Emmys.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/ind...&ab=int_091611_HP_SPRING2012RUNWAY_EXPLORENOW

18. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

OMG, exactly what I was wondering. When I read about all the weight she lost I thought "whatever, they are clearly covering her up. She hasn't lost near that." Then I saw her in regular clothes and it was obvious how much she really has lost.

20. soxxy

soxxy Guest

The last time she lost a significant amount of weight she did the Oprah bikini thing....maybe she wanted to avoid anything like that.

She does look :kickass: and has the personality to match.

(And I still think she should have won DWTS! :mad:)

21. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

That blue ensemble is gorgeous, so early-60s Scaasi. :swoon:

In fact, I think I might have found my Halloween costume.....! :D

22. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Ah, I love quoting the greats. :p

Anyway, Tim Gunn calls out the fashion industry for vanity sizing, pointing out that smaller sizes = larger sales, and pretty much saying Kirstie Alley is no size 4.

Go Tim! I'm very well read on Marilyn Monroe -- my all-time favorite actress who I also consider to be the all-time sex symbol/perfect figure -- and those who knew her say that she was a size 12 ... which translates to a, er, healthy woman nowadays. However, I saw one of Marilyn's dresses in an exhibit ... it was much smaller than expected. Kirstie might be smaller in the hips than MM, but I'd say that they're both in the size 7-8 range.

23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Prior to 1970, there was standard sizing. A 12 would have been a 36" hip. My mother, who was 5'1" and weighed under 100 lbs, wore an 8 or 10. We tried one of my mother's vintage dresses on my niece who wears a 2 or 4 today and it fit.