Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2012 - NYC! (((Project Runway spoilers)))

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fergus, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I always love the spring collections. I'm really curious to see what Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Alexander Wang, and Proenza Schouler do this season.

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Richard Chai just started on the live stream.

The womenswear looks are pretty disastrous to me. The color story is very disjointed, though many of the fabrics could make nice cushions or curtains. I'm particularly appalled by what I'm going to call "skrants," which is a skirt attached to the front only of a pair of paints. The proportions throughout were just wrong. A lot of pants hit at odd lengths and then there were mini skirts over long pants. A lot of the styling was off for me. Aline Weber, who is a terrific model, look ghastly with neon blue lipstick.

The menswear was a mixed bag, but I did see several individual pieces that I liked. There was a really slouchy black look with a half trench in the beginning that I loved. There is also a neon coral jacket that I adored and a pair of blue pants with a maroon stripe down the side that I really liked.

This was a strong group of models, but most of them looked like they were thinking "what the f*ck am I wearing?"

6. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Head's up!

Can one of our darling admin people please add something to the thread title like "May contain 'Project Runway' spoilers!".

THANK YOU!!!!! :)

7. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

This thread will definitely contain rampant Project Runway :COP: conjecture, speculation, and :drama: as photos and attendee reports leak out.

Which makes me chuckle ... the order of presentation and perceived quality of collections always fools everyone over at least one designer's fate. E.g. Amy from a couple of seasons back (for the former) and Anthony from the same season (for the latter).

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Fashion Night Out just means I have to work til midngiht :yawn:

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Todashi Shoji is getting ready to start. Carrie Preston from True Blood is in the audience.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I hope Anthony Ryan is on the runway. They may have decoys but if he is there then he could still be in it!

11. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Everyone who is in the show after tonight will probably be on the runway tomorrow. That's how they did it last season when 10 designers showed at Fashion Week. I bet Anya had the 13 year old that work for her sew a hell of a collection :rofl:

12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

13. BigB08822

:lol: I bet you are right. I wonder if they gave her a stiff talking to about having to sew her own things and not letting someone else do it. This wont matter if she isn't final 3.

14. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

We need to go work as dressers for the mens collections during fashion week :grope:

Beefcake likes this.
  15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Ooh, good idea. :grope: Even better if those two boys need helping dressing for those outfits, as they'd be exactly as dumb as I like my boy toys.

Those studious glasses on the one almost fooled me. Almost.

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I love a boy in glasses :swoon:

17. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

He looks awfully happy to be there. :smokin:

18. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ Menswear!!!! :cheer2: :swoon:

Truth be told, womenswear-schwimenswear, it's MENSWEAR for which I squeal!!! :biggrinbo

From WWD, a sneak peak at some of the Spring 2012 boy stuff.

Simon Spurr, tres adorable (him and the clothes) and j'adore GANT by Michael Bastian! TO. DIE. FOR. And soooo comfy.......

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

20. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Interesting that L'Wren Scott is the guest judge and not an actress or singer. Joshua M's collection was much more subdued than what he's shown on the show so far. I loved the kaftan Anya was wearing.

Thomas Jane in the audience :grope:

Based on the designs I saw, I favored Viktor and Anthony Ryan, but I also liked the one dress they showed of Bert's. I didn't see anything of Anya's, so I'm curious to see what she did.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  21. BigB08822

All black from Josh? I wonder if he is a decoy, seems you would be throwing away the competition with that choice.

22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Here's an image that shows some of Anya's designs. It looks like a lot of long, flowing dresses -- beautiful, but not far from her comfort zone.

Getty images has a gallery for the runway, but mostly the pics are of the designers so far. (And as soon as I posted, they began adding more photos of the models walking.)

23. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Especially since this is the spring collections. The trends, which many of them seemed to miss, seem to be going toward more color.

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Getty takes a while, especially to tag and organize them. Blogging Project Runway will assemble all the Getty photos in order of presentation and link them on their home page. Last year, it took until well into the evening to get everything.

25. reckless

This and this are supposed to be Josh designs according to the caption. I think I'd prefer the black. WTF is with the fit on the second one? :scream:

26. reckless

I'm too impatient. ;)

27. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, after looking at the Getty Images, it appears that Josh M had color...but not good color. The silhouettes in his collection are also not very cohesive. I hope he wasn't one of the finalists.

I like what I could see of Anya's, but it was a collection of flowy dresses and I'm sure that Michael Kors will say that the color story is disjointed.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Josh's has a lot of color. In fact, some of his pieces look inspired by his shirt last night. Hmmm.

I am loving Anya's. Flowy resort prints. But Nina didn't like Ulli did she?

Looks like they must have had to do a bathing suit.

29. reckless

Looking further, I am wondering if the color outfits really are Josh's. There are at least 5 outfits with bright pattern, green or purple, but none of them are visible in the picture of Josh on the runway, though 5 completely different designs are visible. The only reason I might think otherwise is if this is a "bridge" design between the bright colored crap and the darker, more sculptural designs like this and this.

And I now back off those doubts. It looks like it is all one collection.

Victor seems to have gone very heavy into mesh an a pseudo-bondage look.

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Nina and Michael gave Ulli a really hard time over repeating the same type of dress. I think Anya has shown more range than Ulli through the season. Bust as far as a Spring collection, Anya's looks closer than many of the others.

I wonder if they got down to final 4 and made two of them design a bathing suit as the decider on who would go to the final like they did with the wedding dresses in Leann's season.