Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DBZ, Jul 10, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure she filed for divorce, but I don't remember reading that it had been finalized. There were some discussions about how much she wanted to get for 20+ years of putting up with him.

I also remember reading that being a good Catholic and all :rolleyes: Mel wanted an annulment rather than a divorce, and that his dad's wacko breakaway more-Catholic-than-the-Catholics church had agreed to grant him one. I don't know how much validity that has, though....

2. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

With the 7 children from his wife as well as who knows how many illegitimate kids from his various affairs, the 'I'm supporting everybody' is not far from the truth. Maybe he'll learn to keep his doobie in his pants from now on, or perhaps engage the use of a *ahem* prophylactic.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

If the blind items at ACG.com are right, maybe Gibson and Russell Crowe might have something in common.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

They're boyfriends? :p

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

What is ACG.com?

6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

In California, all property earned during the marriage by either party is "community property" and is split 50/50 -- regardless of the duration of the marriage. Gifts, inheritances, and property owned before marriage are "separate property" -- and are not divided, unless mingled with community property.

When the marriage is of long duration, however, and one spouse did not bring home an income for that reason, that spouse can get spousal support (aka "alimony") for life.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: Yeah, and they both have shitty taste in men!!!

Actually it's AGC, my bad. It stands for Alt.Gossip.Celebrities. It gathers up and posts all the latest blind items (scroll down to #33): AGC - July & August

8. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

What would be fair? And you don't have to answer, as there really is no answer; "fair" in such cases is always going to be relative and in the eye of the beholder.

If TMZ is to be believed, the financial problem is lack of liquidity: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/08/mel-gibson-divorce-robyn-gibson-marriage-court/

9. bek

bek Guest

How do you know what's fair or unfair in this case. I mean first of all, in a lot of marriages, you may have one spouse who gives up part of their career, for the sake of the family. For example my Aunt always was interested in being a lawyer, but she choose to become a teacher instead. Because her husband was a doctor, and she felt that well someone needed to have a bit more of a flexible career, for their kids sake. In the opposite case, her daughter is the doctor, and the Son in law has a career, but a less stressful one-for the kids sake. In both cases you have people making choices for the family unit. But they are working together. If we are to say that it should all be what you personally make, than you will have no parents being willing to make those kind of sacrifices, and I frankly think that would be quite sad....

And besides how do you know Robyn had NOTHING to do with Mel's success. Mel was just taking off when he married her, but he wasn't a billionare then. She was by many reports a calming influence on Mel. Its totally possible that she could have helped him make choices that made him the success he is today.

The fact is when you marry someone you make promises. And people make life choices based on those promises. Even for example Tiger Wood's wife Elin. Both her and her sister had been college students before they became nannies, and her sister went back to school and is now a lawyer. There's a good chance that Elin if she had not married Tiger, would have done the same. Sure she'd have never made Tiger kind of money but still....Tiger certainly made some promises when he married her, and a big reason that marriage ended was Tiger's inability to keep promises.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The doobie has its own brain and can think for itself.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

ITA! It is very difficult to have two high powered careers and kids and have any quality of life. Not impossible, just difficult. I know lots of couples where one person has scaled back their career or decided to stay home with kids because the couple together decided that that was the best thing for their family and for their quality of life. In almost every case I know of the career of the person who stays at work moves ahead faster. IMO it is because this person doesn't have the same responsibilities at home and is able to focus on his or her career. My DH openly admits that he would not be anywhere as successful as he is if he hadn't married me :D I was the one with the career and the contacts when we met and that helped him start out. Later, we decided that I would stay home with the kids. He was able to leave town on business, work late, go in early etc. at any time without having to worry about picking up kids or staying home with sick kids etc.

We don't plan to divorce (we're both far too lazy for that) but you can bet your house that if we did I would want and get and deserve 50% of everything.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Whew, only because with ten years being the time needed to claim Social Security spousal benefits, that would be a double-whammy incentive to dump one's spouse by the 10-year mark.

13. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Too lazy to divorce. :lol: We basically say the same thing at my house. From our perspective, divorce looks absolutely exhausting, especially when children are involved.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  14. cruisin

It is. My parents divorced, it was horrible. My brother and I were in our 20's and we were still dragged into it. As bad as it is for small kids, it's also bad for adult kids, just for different reasons. And even now, my Dad passed away 2 years ago, we still have to hear about it from my mother.

15. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, since (a) the community property laws mean the property is divided regardless of duration and (b) temporary spousal support may still be required, while the spouse who needs it re-trains, finds work, etc.

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Divorce is never pretty, but then marriage can be the same way. And the custodial parent will be the one that the child will hear over and over and over again maligning the other parent.

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It depends on the parties involved, though. My bf's parents divorced when he was around 4, and he doesn't remember any animosity after that. I mean, there definitely could have been in those early years, but everyone gets along beautifully now. Everybody shows up to Thanksgiving and it's one big happy family. The ex-husband is even helping take care of his former FIL.

The only thing I've ever heard him complain about re: his childhood is how his mom was/is a worrywart helicopter parent. :lol: Nothing at all about the divorce or having to move between households.

Yeah, there was some drama over at my cousin's wedding since one of my other cousins didn't want to show up with her mom. :yikes: She's caught in the middle of a nasty custody battle over her younger brother, whom the parents completely disagree on how to raise.

18. cruisin

My wedding turned into a battleground. My father's family wouldn't/weren't allowed to talk to my mother or her family. Seating was a nightmare. I was caught in the middle, trying to keep everyone happy. The one who wound up with the misery, was me. :rolleyes: The stuff that got/gets brought up with regard to how I or my brother should have sided with one or the other of them is just :scream:. Obviously not from Dan anymore, but my mother still gives me crap that I should have been there for her more. I worked full time in NYC, I had just gotten married, she left my father, and both of them were trying to put me and my brother in the middle. I stayed out of it as best I could. But you can't win in these situations.

19. Civic

Civic New Member

I concur. At the very least, it displayed Gibson's lack of respect for Joaquin Phoenix.

20. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Have you forgotten that Mel and Robin were married for almost 30 years and had 7 children? That she was with him in the beginning when he had nothing and stood by him then?
    Have you forgotten that Cal. is a equal division of assets state?
    Robin deserved every penny she got.

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt his financial problems are just due to having to support others. Most of his kids aren't even minors are they? And even if the wife is leaving him with half and he's paying some child support, half of hundreds of millions of dollars is still a LOT of money. There have to be other causes for his financial problems other than supporting wife and kids. Or maybe he's just short on cash because he's got everything tied up in things like mansions, cars, stocks, etc., which is why he is selling things.

22. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

Is it really an economical advantage for either party.....especially if there are multiple homes that an individual could live in?

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Surely. He's got a sociopathic streak a mile wide.

24. bek

bek Guest

Mel showed me his sociopathic side when he produced Paparazzi. A movie that literally IMO glorified serial killing.

25. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

DiCaprio pulls out of Gibson film

26. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

While personally I don't watch his films or root for him to win, I fail to see the Academy or any other organization that hands out awards for films as the police. The rules and guidelines don't to the best of my knowledge exclude him at this point and time. It is unlikely that would change.

Many Oscar winners have legal troubles though they aren't necessarily hiding from the police. So where does the line get drawn? Crimes against children? Ok...I can buy that. But what about DUI? One could argue that DUI could be a crime against children because they are just as much in danger with a drunk driver on the road as an adult.

It would honestly take public outrage to deny Polanski an award that his peers felt he had earned. But the truth is that the majority of the public reacted in an apathetic, ignorant, or passive way when he did win.

To bring it back to the topic at hand, Mel might find that he has his Hollywood friends, but that the public support and wallets aren't behind him. There will always be management firms and film companies willing to take a chance on him for two reasons. 1. It would be a challenge. 2. Imagine the money to be made if he is able to redeem himself in the public eye.

27. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Mel has been cleared for visitation by Children's Services.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, but Mel produced and directed a music video for Oksana when they were still together: Beautiful Heartache

:saint:

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I lasted 1 min 35 seconds. It should really be called Beautiful Toothache.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's what I meant to say, it's good that there isn't a ten-year rule too for dividing community property and/or spousal support, the info from your other post. Tying everything to a ten-year mark would be too much incentive.

30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Not necessarily.