Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DBZ, Jul 10, 2010.

1. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a thread of this yet.

For those not in the loop: Click here

Now news of this today: Click here

I can't imagine he'll be able to recover from this. I think he's done.

Thoughts?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Although in Hollywood, celebrities have recovered from scandals, Gibson's behavior collectively, IMO, is probably too much for a comeback, at least any time soon. If a comeback is possible, it would be many, many years down the road.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:yikes: And that would be Ari Emanuel of the Entourage Ari Gold/Rahm Emanuel fame. I don't see him ever representing Gibson. Ever.

4. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    Honestly, from the behavior he has exibited the last few years, I think he may have mental issues.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

He definitely seems to have addiction issues, with at least alcohol.

6. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think so he prob announce rehab within 24 hours

7. piano18

piano18 New Member

That is even more severe than Alec Baldwin's phone call to his daughter...:eek:

8. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

The thing is, Mel has been financing some of his movies on his own, so in a sense he's his own boss. He can make a picture and all he would need is a distributor, which despite Mel's troubles, he'll probably find. Don't forget, he's one of the richest guys in Hollywood(The Passion was a huge cash cow), so money isn't a problem for him.

So no, his career isn't over, but one wonders how successful he will be. And he's been directing more than acting lately, which works to his advantage. But if he puts out something akin to Lethal Weapon, somehow I think he'll be forgiven.

Tom Cruise is still working after his idiotic behavior, so will Mel.

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

One would hope it would be, but Gibson's like the proverbial bad penny. He keeps coming back, and coming back, and coming back. He should have been done a long time ago.

I, however, will continue to boycott his movies, whether he's starring in them or producing them. I kinda just lost some respect for Jodie Foster for being in a movie with him.

While he definitely has alcohol abuse problems, it's not an excuse for what he said, and I'm tired of the "it's the alcohol talking" excuse. Alcohol does not make you think things like that; it just lowers inhibitions so that you say what's actually going on in your head.

I read about this on popeater I think a few days ago, and the comments excusing his behavior were just :scream:

10. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

He disgusts me.

But all he needs to do is come up with a project Hollywood considers bankable and they'll fall all over him. And there is enough movie goers (and movie makers, hello Jodie, ) in the world who don't give a shit about anyone's politics and/or beliefs if the movie is what they want to see.

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Racist, anti-semitist, misogynist, drunk, abusive, asshole? I sure hope as hell it is.

12. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

Done, now go away.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not that Tom Cruise hasn't said some really stupid things and then got all defensive about being called on them, but I think Mel's idiotic behaviour is a lot more idiotic than Cruise's. At least Tom Cruise hasn't dumped his wife and run off with someone who he then assaults and threatens.

14. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Dear Melbie,
    When you seem to hate almost everyone, karma will catch up to you.

Uh, well especially since Alec Baldwin hasn't also said horrible things about gays & Latinos; denied the Holocaust existed. Etc. Etc. Etc.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I listened to the tape. It is ugly and horrible. But has anyone confirmed that it actually is Gibson? It sounds odd, like it's staged. Or maybe, I just can't imagine talking to someone like that, or saying horrible things like that. How reliable is the source?

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Grigorieva was the one who taped it and took it to the authorities. Allegedly.

17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Was the incident in January? When was the tape given to the authorities?

If I stop seeing the movies and buying the CDs of asshats, I will need a lot more books.

18. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

If the movie going public would boycott his movies, whether he acts in them or produces them, he would loose his income source and hopefully disappear forever.

20. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think with Tom Cruise, his behavior was more weird and goofy while Mel Gibson's was offensive and violent. Yeah, jumping on the coach and claiming he understands the history of psychology is wacky, but I think overall it's something people can laugh at, while Mel Gibson's is something to be disgusted over.

21. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Gibson belongs to an ugly holywood history.

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0. :p

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not to mention some asshats who write pretty good books.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  23. KHenry14

All of that is true, my point was many people were saying Cruise's career was finished and he's still putting out films. None of them are any good, but he's working.

Mel's antics clearly are far worse, but if there's money to be made, he'll work. The question is, does anyone think he can open a film now? I bet Mel will take a role or two at scale just to get in front of a camera, but even that might not be good enough.

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

This.

That too!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  25. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Mental issues not withstanding - he is an asshole.

26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Taking a role or two at scale would be an admission that Mel is no longer at the star level he used to be. I can't see Mel conceding that. I think he will use whatever $$$ he has to make self-centred self-financed films, and then will complain about being crucified by Hollywood for his views when those films tank.

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Jodie Foster has always come across as a smart, savvy and no-nonsense woman to me. I can't imagine that she would want to work with a man who is racist and misogynist.

28. Era

Era New Member

He comes off as a control freak with a violent streak which makes one wonder how abusive his relationship with his wife Robyn was.

Is there any segment of society Mel hasn't managed to alienate recently? Also his hypocrisy is just mind boggling since he seems to think his religion's rules apply to everyone except himself.

I think the violence has always been there if most of his movies are any indication. Maybe it's just that with the alcohol issues all that darkness he used to be able to hide from the general public is now out in the open for everyone to see.

It's all about the money and greed in the movie business so if he is unable to generate money, and seen as a liability, he'll be dropped.

29. KHenry14

He'd work scale if they gave him a piece of the gross is what I should have said. That way he can bleat on about how much he believes in that particular project that he'll work on commission so to speak.

My guess is that he'll direct and not go in front of the camera much, as that will be easier to get around his...issues

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You can't compare Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch to Mel's racist angry rant.