Mega Millions $335 Million Jackpot tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

2. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yup, I have mine. (Are there any multi, multi (multi, multi, multi) millionaires posting on FSU? Hmmmmm.....:confused:)

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I played last week. No dice (obviously). I'll give it another shot.

4. manleywoman

Theoretically speaking: is it better to take the lump sum or the year-to-year payment? I would think year-to-year, but then again, with laws constantly changing and companies going bankrupt all the time, perhaps it's just best to get the lump sum while you can get it.

5. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

LOL! Someone just dropped off my copy of our office bets. We are a small group with little money...but...maybe one of our 45 bets will hit. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Southpaw

I'm thinking the lump sum would probably cover my living expenses for the rest of my life. :lol:

I only buy one ticket. One golden ticket.

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I believe it is the lump sum as you can invest it yourself. And people who win these jackpots generally - note I said generally, not always - forget that if they are not working and contributing to SS they will not have SS at the time of retirement. It is truly sad with that happens.

The graveyard shift workers in Lincoln Ne who won the 300 million lottery jackpot several years ago, I believe have done it the right way. But then I only hear of one of the winners every year at Christmas. He selected a homeless shelter to give thousands to each year. I believe that he designates it for children to get Christmas gifts however I am not completely clear on what he designates the monies for.

8. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I've got my ticket! A bunch of coworkers and I bought a bunch of tickets together. :::fingers crossed that me or one of my other FSUers wins!:::

9. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'd take the lump sum. I'd just like to have it in my possesion, as you never know if something could happen to the lottery organization that could prevent it from making good on future payments.

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I've actually known two people who hit the lotto. One, named Meg, picked the Megabucks to play on her 32nd birthday, and won 32 million dollars. Seriously. She told me she planned to keep working.

She was gone a month later. :lol:

The other is my husband's friend's brother. He, unfortunately, drank and etc. his millions.

11. Southpaw

I'll volunteer to be your third.

12. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'm your third. I won 3 dollars :lol:

13. manleywoman

Why is it sad, if you have millions to retire on? :p

A good friend of mine from college's parents almost won the largest in US history . . . they were two digits off the powerball number. They still got the consolation prize of $225,000, of course. They really needed it too, since they were just having to make the very tough decision of putting a parent in a nursing home, and they really couldn't afford a good one, but the affordable ones were scary.

That happens a lot. If I won, I guarantee you that would not be me.

14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I bought 5 tickets!!!

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

because by the time they retire they have spent all of the money. and not usually on things like houses that could be sold for additional money when they have "retired" at age 65/67 whatever it is now

16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's been my largest winning to date. :lol:

I'm assuming because numbers was talking about people who win a jackpot of millions and then blow it all in a couple of years (through mismanagement, bad investments, or just going crazy buying things) and then find themselves with a greatly reduced SS when they reach retirement. (ETA: I see that numbers has just explained this herself.)

BTW, I bought my one ticket last night -- I think there have only been three times I have ever bought more than one (and I normally only buy a ticket if the jackpot is over 50-60 million -- helps keep me from spending more than $50/year on the lottery. I sometimes see people there buying $40-50 worth at a time -- and I'm pretty sure they aren't indulging in a rare splurge, because they mention getting some of their "regular" sets of numbers. :eek:

17. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I always think that people who say that are planning on keeping a job they don't need anymore that someone else could really use! In a way, it's sort of selfish!

18. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I won $100 about five years ago on a Powerball ticket and was :encore:. For some odd reason I thought bigger and better wins would follow. :confused: I think I've won the $7 prize a couple of times since. :(

19. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

Most of my money would go on food!!! That's where most of it goes right now. I just love good food. Oh and if I ever won a prize as big as $300 million I would hire myself a driver to take me to eat this food.

oh and I know I wouldn't be one of those who loses his money because he gave it away to family. I can barely stand them now, so I would be "see ya!"

if only...

20. manleywoman

Isn't that interesting? Because the way MY mind works is that I'd put away a big chunk of winnings in retirement FIRST, then I'd think about what to do with the rest of it.

I buy about 12 a year, on average about one a month. Most I've won is $2, but it's fun to play. I do wonder about the folks who buy $50 at a time.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Gosh, I don't know how anyone could blow through that kind of money, even if you cut it in 1/3 after taxes and such and just say you have $100 million. I never have liked to buy things, I feel like it is a waste. I would buy a nice house, give some to my mom and dad and brother and close cousins and stuff and then I would simply travel and eat really well! I would travel just to go eat at places, haha. I don't think I could ever travel or eat enough to spend $100 million! I wouldn't want multiple houses. If I go somewhere I will just rent a beautiful place, even if it costs a few thousand or more for my stay. Oh, I love daydreaming about this, maybe one day it will be reality.

22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm game to try! DH bought a ticket, so think good thoughts that someone we know wins big time!

23. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

Considering the odds there are to win the jackpot, I think it would be funny to say "wow, you should buy a lottery ticket" to the person who actually wins it. :p

24. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I bought 7 tickets on my lunch hours (that's how many $1's that I had).

I would take the lump sum option. If you pass away and you don't take the lump sum option it goes back into the coffers. So, I'll take the lump sum and take some financing courses and do some research on finding someone to help me manage my money.

25. duane

duane New Member

I always thought this board had reasonably intelligent people, but I guess not. I mean really, there's no possible chance that any of you will win tonight's jackpot...because today I bought the winning ticket!

26. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I bought the winning ticket over the weekend in a small southern town with a total of one gas station.

27. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

After accepting my check, I will start the process of changing my name and identity. I will of course write a "lovely" message to all those foolish relatives who think I'm sharing.

28. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

We were talking about this over dinner and I started my "How to Spend Big Bucks" dissertation. (New flooring downstairs, vacation home, gifts and trinkets.) DH stopped me and said "Don't spend your money before you win it."

I don't think I could burn through a million. I just don't have expensive tastes.
    DH and kids, on the other hand...

29. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have always said (and still say) that if I haven't spoken to you in the last 60 days (family member or not), please don't come looking for me after I win the big one. In my mind, this means that we do not have a close relationship, and I won't feel guilty about telling you no, regardless of where you fall on the family tree. The bank uses this time frame as a measure of when to repossess your car or to start foreclosure proceedings if they haven't heard from you, so I figure that it's good enough for me.

30. manleywoman

Ahhh, that's true. That right there is a good reason to take the lump sum.

If I won, I'd hire UMBS Go Blue to manage my money and make good vBookie bets.:lol:

I'd give money to my parents and FIL/MIL, since they financed our lives and education. But considering that both our siblings have always made WAY more money than we have (and in fact of all my extended family, I'm by far the poorest . . . many have made millions) they certainly don't need it.