Meagan Duhamel

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, Nov 24, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You know...me and the pretty ladies... :lol:

Seriously though, she sat with a large group of people and I guess it was the first they saw her after her LP skate. So everyone had lots to say and I waited for a break so as to not interrupt and so my latent shyness overcame me eventually. Plus I have not had much (any??) luck approaching skaters at various events.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The best thing in figure skating ever: Meagan Duhamel analysing their performance in detail in the K&C. <3

3. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

I've loved Meagan for years, she is a total rock star. I just wish they would do a program that would hilight her spirit and firecracker-ness. And her Chatty Cathy post-skate analysis is always a delight.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Is there a Canadian pairs thread somewhere? I'll look in Trash Can.

There is a thread in Trash Can -- I found it. I went there to post some thoughts about the top Canadian pairs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Meagan has been nominated for the Great Vegan Athlete of 2012 award :cheer: Click here to vote for Meagan

You don't need to enter any personal info to vote.

6. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Same here. The fan base for skating is small so I believe the federation encourages skaters to interact with fans to develop the sport. As a result, the skaters are usually nice and available. Still, I don't have much to say other than some lame variation of "love your work", which is why I'd rather say nothing rather than strike up an awkward conversation you can't then get out of...lol. It's a chat gift that some people, like me, just don't have.

7. Kati

Kati Active Member

I heard that Meagan's family is of Finnish origin, that her grandparents left from Finland in 1950's. Never heard that before! I saw her competing in singles in JGPF Helsinki, 2004. Maybe her Finnish relatives were in the audience, cheering for her? :)

8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thanks Kati for reminding me that! Heck, I would have had a good reason to iinterwiew her in GPF because of that.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Word from :sekret:is that Meagan is really tough on Eric, that she really pushes him hard. Since all his other pair partners have been pretty crappy I don't think Eric has a problem with Meagan's intensity. If he does, he hides it well.

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth?! :lol:
    I was always afraid Eric would be a wasted talent - he's been one of my very favourites since he won junior nationals in 2004 in singles. Very happy to see him succeeding with a great partner!

11. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Have loved Eric's skating too from very early on. He was sitting in the stands a few feet away from us at Canadians in Saskatoon in 09, that's the last Canadians he skated with Rachel Kirkland and the poor guy looked gutted that his career was going nowhere. Glad he decided to stick it out and was able to get to team up with such a great partner in Meagan after the 2010 season was over with. I guess that saying "good things come to those that wait" applies to Eric!

Looking forward to seeing how Meagan & Eric skate in the second half of this season!

12. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I was afraid of this too!! I remember saying back in 2009 that he and Dylan Moscovitch were probably the best male skaters in Canada, but neither of them were going to go anywhere with their current partners. Happy to see that with stronger partners, they've proven me right about how good they are.

Re Meagan's intensity - it's pretty clear from interviews and the Kiss & Cry that she's also equally hard on herself when she makes mistakes. With Eric being so laidback, maybe he needs that intensity to give him a bit of a push (and hopefully he chills her out a bit too). The contrast can be quite amusing, for example at 4CC where Meagan was dressed in full yoga gear for off-ice warm-ups and spent ages running laps, doing advanced stretches, skipping, jumping on the spot, etc. Right beside her, Eric was dressed in sweats and a toque and every once in a while would do a half-assed stretch. It was more entertaining to watch than whoever was actually skating at the time!

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

NorthernLife.ca article: Duhamel driving towards Olympics

14. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I'm another who is delighted the see Eric and Dylan in the top Canadian pairs teams. They are both very talented, and have paid their dues a hundred times over. It is good that they are having international success after their years with younger partners who just didn't work out for different reasons.

15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member