McLaughlin and Brubaker are done!!! :(

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by stjeaskategym, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

:confused: i did nots ee this caming. I really thing they could have a nice future.

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I find this incredibly sad. I actually liked this team and wished them much success.

3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

The Puberty Monster has just taken another victim. Nonetheless, Keauna is wise to recognize how she has changed and to move on. This is preferable to continuing to shed the big bucks and see worsening results year after year. She is young enough to find and embrace a new passion.

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

What a shame. :(

5. MountainTime

MountainTime Member

Keauna missed dinner at Skate For Hope due to a schedule change on her airline ticket. As for chemistry, I often thought I needed a cold shower after watching them skate. Gorgeous people inside and out.

6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed Keauna and Rockne have had their issues but I loved watching them. I am very sad to see them split. I was hoping we were out of the woods concerning a possible split when they said at the beginning of the summer that they were staying together. I'm so disappointed to hear this. But I hope that they both do well in their futures in and out of skating.

7. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

may not be easy to have 'less success' on purpose... maybe more on the coach side to make them understand nothing is granted in advance. shame that at the end their early success may have been detrimental !

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

This isn't really a surprise to me, since they had problems at US Nationals and I'd read before somewhere that they didn't get along off-ice (although I know this could be untrue). I wasn't really a fan of R&K because I didn't get to see them that many times, and when I did, it seemed to be their bad performances I saw. lol.

More importantly to me.. are my eyes playing tricks on me.. or did someone on the last page say that Inoue and Baldwin are competing next season?! I'm one of those (seemingly few) who still likes them.

9. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Oh no :(
    I enjoyed their skating very much.
    Sad to see them calling it quits.

10. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought when they didn't break up immediately after Nationals or after the season was over, that they were going to stick it out. This depresses me greatly. :( I hope Rockne is able to find another partner because I just love himmmm.

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Another factor: Who will they be replaced by on the GP?

12. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I know I've had a similar discussion before with you, but that's alright. :lol:

His back injury was with his previous partner. There hasn't been mention of one since. This was probably the first year where we hadn't heard publicly of an injury with him. He seemed to have made a good recovery from his surgery before last season.

I just wanted to see them do throws not at the dead end of their programs which they have done the past two seasons now. I don't think she was ever a rock on throws when she was "smaller", at least not in competition. '07-'08 was the first year they were doing two throw triples in competition and she was not a rock. The following year, they had throws buried at the end of both the SP and LP, and the SP ones produced the most mistakes. So I'm not seeing this "she was a rock" that you speak of.

Sure, I agree with you that it's harder to throw someone when they grow, but you can try to make adjustments. Watching them land throw after throw out of competition this season, I really don't believe there weren't adjustments that could have been made to help their in-competition performance. A throw 3loop at the dead end of your program is crazy hard, and that's probably why nobody does it.

I don't understand why you would immediately expect them to have the same success on the Sr level as they did in Jrs. That Jr success wasn't because she was smaller, Sr Pairs is just different than Jrs. This is not like singles skating where you can come out of Jrs and win Sr Worlds like Yu-Na Kim. Pairs is a completely different game. Considering that they were doing better in Srs than just about everyone coming out of Jrs, I didn't find anything alarming. Heck, Bezic and Hersh said something negative about the early part of their '08-'09 season when there was really not a darn thing disappointing about it. I think people may have just expected too much too fast, or had been spoiled early by the results they were getting. So I suppose we can agree to disagree about missing out on one Olympic team being that devastating for them and too much to overcome.

I apologize if I misinterpreted what you wrote. You stated that they were "in trouble when a strong element like a death spiral evaded them in Spokane." To me, that came across as you thinking the death spiral was a problem. All I was trying to say is that I believed it was a total fluke that unfortunately happened at the worst time. I agree with you about the jumping.

:lol: I am sure I am not thinking right, but that's just because I've been following this pair for a long while and saw great things for them. This is an oddly-timed split to me so I'm just thinking in my head what could have went wrong. I know this decision wasn't based on FSU posts, but who the hell knows what exactly triggered this decision. You never know when that type of negativity can seep into an athlete's brain. I guess my point is that fans/media sometimes blow things out of proportion.

I'd say Dobbs is entirely too tall for him. But I feel really bad for him and want this to work out for him... He's so great, but finding a partner who is short, good, matches him well, and doesn't have anything to do right now will require some good luck.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  13. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Not surprised, last season was a disaster and they should have never won in 09! But it is the way with American pairs...so it goes!

14. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, I remember screening all the pics made before the Olys by members of the US team... before it was official. Another thing to get on with, you pose for pics, get presented as Olympian, and watch everything at home. damn.

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Such a shame. I really liked them.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Jeremy can stay as he is, but I wish Caydee would stop trying to look like Nancy Grace and get a more flattering, younger hairstyle and makeup.

lamarenee, Cheylana, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  17. figsrus

figsrus New Member

18. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

Man, this is sad. :( I hope Rockne can find a new partner and get back out there ASAP.

19. Pairsis

Pairsis New Member

I wonder if Rockne will return to Colorado Springs? Doesn't his brother live and train there, and if I remember he was very close with his coach Dalilah Sappenfield.

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm in Colorado, and I've had opportunities to see them since they first started performing together -- my memory is that the throw jumps that seemed effortless when she was younger and smaller now seem like a lot of work. Perhaps it is the placement in the program -- but it still seemed to be true even watching them in exhibitions or practices. It just looked like a lot more work, and she didn't look as tight on the rotations.

He had to withdraw from the GP Final in 2007 -- my memory was that it was a back injury, but I don't see any indication of the specifics in the first set of search results. His abdominal muscle tears more recently can't have helped with the throws.

21. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Devastating breakup. I hope she doesn't come to regret her decision.

22. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Well, this STINKS. Pooh. And I was just watching their '08 Worlds LP last night thinking how sad this past season was for them.

-Bridget

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Rockne's quote after the GPF SP from an Icenetwork article in December 2007:
    As I recall, his foot became worse the next day and that's why they withdrew from the FS.

Thanks for the link!

24. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

what horrible news for the state of US pairs skating!
    it's too bad, because i actually started to like this team just last season. They stuck out for me, because they had the qualities that the younger US pairs don't--strong basic skating + good speed. Shame about her nerves, though...but still, if Jessica Dube can compete on a high level this long given her technical inconsistencies, i don't see why keauna couldn't stick it out for a few more years, flesh out her problems..etc.

Best of luck to Rockne, though!! I've always enjoyed watching him.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

See the possibilities (Pairs GP alternates list): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2797318#post2797318

I'm not picking out or on any one poster in this thread, but Keauna is Keauna and Jessica is Jessica. The skaters are the ones who have to train day in and day out with their respective partners and coaches, and they are the only ones who can decide whether or not it's worth it to them to continue their partnerships. We armchair fans are free to offer our opinions, of course, but our opinions don't mean anything, really. Just stating the obvious here. ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Cal Girl

Cal Girl New Member

Keauna is still really petite and if she needs a break she can return at any time and find a suitable partner but she has to get some sports psychology to undo what has been done. She obviously has lost a lot of her confidence, she was a very strong pairs skater during the early part of their partnership and during her puberty lost a lot of that. It seems to happen a lot with these girls. I wish her all the best and hope she finds her passion and confidence once more.
    As for Rockne, he is a fabulous pair guy but . . . . will there ever be anyone tiny enough?

27. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Well he's a man and she's a child so I wasn't seein the chemistry.

I think what you were reacting to was her exotic beauty and that fact he's pure smoke.

28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Me! I'm 4'11"! I have all my single jumps! :D

Serioustime now: I hope he finds a great partner.

29. Sinclare

Sinclare New Member

I was sad to read this. I loved their West Side Story. I wish them the very best in their futures....they are so young and accomplished so much!

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear this!! I hoped that with the guidance they'd had from Tai Babilonia, who is very much of the opinion that so many pairs don't stay together long enough through and tough it out through difficult years, that they'd fight through this. I hope to goodness she is OK psychologically--and I would love to see her come back and triumph over the changes her body has gone through the last couple of years.

I guess we could say there's a whole club of "Puberty Ruined My (Skating) Life" members. President: Kimmie Meissner; Vice President: Keauna McLaughlin; members at large: Drew Meekins, Rockne Brubaker. :(