McLaughlin and Brubaker are done!!! :(

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by stjeaskategym, Jun 22, 2010.

1. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

2. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Sounds like she's quitting the sport.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:(

Rockne is 24?? I thought he was younger for some reason...

4. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Noooooo! :wuzrobbed

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

:(

I quite understand her wanting to concentrate on school, but how is the US going to have any success in pairs if our pairs do not stay together?????

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::(:wall:::scream:

This is awful....what a terrible way to go out at US Nationals....they had SO much potential, and they never reached it.

I am truly shocked...and very saddened. This pretty much leaves Caydee and Jeremy with no competition. We can only hope they grow in the artistic part of their skating, because the technical mastery is already there.

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Bummer

8. stjeaskategym

Just turned 24 yesterday. I am in shock over this. I understand the Olympic disappointment, but they were so young, it shouldn't have been too devastating to overcome. I'm surprised she would rather just go to high school and not skate at all.

This one kills me. I loved them!

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think "go to high school" is just the easiest answer, like when politicians say they are resigning to "spend more time with my family."

10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:eek:

Nooooooo! I liked them so much!

:fragile:

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What a shame. :( They weren't my favorites, but I did enjoy watching them. Good luck to them both.

12. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Oh! How sad. I still thought they had so much to look forward to in skating. But if she's had enough, she's had enough and better to move on I guess. I really enjoyed their skating and wish them both the best.

13. Capella

Capella Guest

USFS offical announcement. :(

14. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Well, there are other American teams that might have something to say about that. For instance, Evora and Ladwig did beat them at the Olympics. Additionally, we have teams like Yankowskas and Coughlin who are on the verge, and then a bumper crop of up and comers... Dobbs and Jacobson, Vise and Baldwin, Zhang and Toth, and Aaron and Cohen. We are in capable hands as we develop our teams.

We have two teams that can place top ten in the World, so now we need to step it up and start earning a third spot at Worlds so we can develop a third team. It takes time, and this quad might be it.

16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think it was inevitable. Their height disparity caught up with them and Keauna was really struggling with her jumps. Plus, I'm not certain they (maybe one or both) really had the work ethic to work through the struggles (not that they could do anything about her growth spurt). Yet another reason for me not to get invested in young skaters too early. :( Potential doesn't always translate into fruition.

17. query5

query5 New Member

for me unexpected.

denny & barret does have competition from evora & ladwig, and other pairs.

but as far as denny & barrett goes. i personnally think he needs to lift weight and get more speed, because there are times i though he would drop her /and or she looked heavy in the lifts ( i mean he looked like he was struggling holding her up.)

18. stjeaskategym

True. I can't see Keauna giving this all up to go to high school for 1 year. It wouldn't make any sense. God this sucks. :wall::wall::wall: This wasn't anything close to a run-of-the-mill pair team. They had SO much potential! And it's now down the drain. Why did I let myself get emotionally invested in a US pairs team? It's US Pairs! It's always doomed. :duh:

19. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

You're right, but Caydee and Jeremy are by far the most consistent...although Amanda and Mark proved themselves to be contenders last year as well. Well, now I'm sort of happy McBru won in '09. At the time, I thought they might not have deserved it, but it would be the last medal they would win at US Nats.

20. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I am devastated right now. This is awful, I loved them so much :(

I am so so upset right now.

21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Split? Not surprised. Rockne is so short he will only be able to skate with pre-pubescent girls.

22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

ITA. I think Yankowskas and Coughlin are on the verge of a huge breakthrough, and I hope it comes this season! And Evora/Ladwig showed immense improvement last season, and I'm sure their confidence will continue into 2010-11. I think Caydee and Jeremy know that they can't just mail in their Nationals performances this year.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  23. letsskate

letsskate New Member

wow, this IS sad.... :(

I find it quite ironic, M/B have said many times that S/Z are their idols and their fav. pair ever, so you'd think they have learned something from S/Z... like perserverance, and sticking together through all the ups and downs....

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I have to say...I feel like a major downfall with this team was inconsistency, especially in her jumping. Keauna rarely landed her SBS triples cleanly, and when strong elements like the death spiral evaded them in Spokane, they were in trouble.

25. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan and can't say I'll miss them. But is very sad the way their story ended. For once I agree with Hersh "Once the future, now history" in just 2 years.. *sighs*

Now they better give the extra SAmerica spot to Yankowskas&Coughlin and I won't be surprised if Skate Canada picks another american team as their replacement.

26. stjeaskategym

She is not tall. She filled out, but she is not tall, and most likely done growing. I doubt she is more than 5'1", if that. When I went through puberty, the first two years I gained the most weight, and then my body settled down and I started losing weight. Not saying that's how it is for everyone, but your body does need a chance to adjust.

As for Keauna's jumping... If you watch warmups at every competition they did last season, she jumped fine in nearly every single one. Was she a consistent jumper? No, I'm not saying that. But she was jumping much better in warmup than in competition (almost all her 3S were cleanly landed in warmup), which leads me to believe the jumping mistakes in competition were from Olympic year pressure more than anything.

As for the work ethic, I don't know. I've heard they were hard workers and wanted it badly, but I just don't know how many distractions both of them really have.

Falling on a death spiral is a fluke for even the crappiest of Sr pair teams. IMO, it's not indicative of a damn thing. I can only hope Keauna and Rockne weren't reading these message boards. No offense, but sometimes people blow things out of proportion here. However, I have a feeling both of their parents do read these boards, and all I hope is that random people's comments on a messageboard weren't an influence in this decision. I hope the people around them supporting them did everything they could to try to make this work because you just don't see pair teams like this very often. They don't come around that often, especially in the U.S. If the Olympic year burned Keauna out, then I just hope they had enough good people in their circle to try to help them (especially her). And they also looked like they were very close to each other and had a great relationship, so it's not like it was a case of Maria and Max where they had to breakup because they hated each other. I'm rambling, sorry.

27. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Well Savchenko Szolkowy messed up a death spiral very badly at TEB and they would go on for Olympic Bronze.

I remember all their ads from before US nationals and the Olympics. They were all over NBC!

So hopefully everything works out for them in their new endevors.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

My take is that, yes, they really "did everything they could to try to make this work." (I claim no first-hand knowledge, however.)

29. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Well, I did not like them at all for whatever reason, but it is always dissappointing to see a young team leaving the sport. It sure is unexpected.

30. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Devastated. Beyond devastated. I really believed they'd be a major player during this quad.

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.