Mazel Tov! Mel Gibson in The Hangover 2 cast

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cornfed, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Cornfed

Cornfed New Member

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/19/mel-gibson-joins-cast-of-hangover-2/?hpt=Sbin

The oddest thing about this article is not that Mel's still kind've hot despite his years, his crazy, and his yellow teeth. Nor is it the ironic marriage of an angry drunk in a movie with Hangover in the title.

No, it's this Jodie Foster comment:
    Hmmm, okay, Jodie. Got to hand it to Gibson -- his gal friends continue to stick by him despite his many hateful everything-ist episodes. Ol' Mel must have some redeeming qualities ... warms the cockles.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

3. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Cornfed is back?!?
  4. Cornfed

Cornfed New Member

Yes, back ... wow, it's been a while!

So how's my girl Soldatova skating ... will she win another Worlds medal? :)
  5. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Saw on tv last night (I think it was Show Business tonight) that he has been dropped from the picture because the rest of the cast refused to work with him!:eek:
  6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

How come? Did he do something wrong?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Why? A comedy based on crass humor suddenly has class? At least Mel didn't bite anyone's ear off...yet.
  8. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

No, he's just a sexist pig.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Ah, but all we have is time... ;)

How about racist, homophobic and anti-semetic? :lol: Entertainment Weekly had a long list of groups that Mr. Gibson had made offensive comments about...at the end, there was a little blurb about how the only group being left was people of Inuit descent. The next week in the letters section, a woman wrote and said, "I am of Inuit heritage. And rest assured...Mr. Gibson offends me". :rofl:
  10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the lack of box-office pull? maybe someone DID research and discovered that they (public) would not attend anymore of that low scum's movies?
  11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, why didn't any of them protest when Mike Tyson was hired to play in the first Hangover movie? He is a convicted felon with anger issues...(although I always wondered if he really did assault that ex-beauty queen).
  12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Time does heal wounds, or at least allow people to use it as an excuse to forget. What Tyson did seemed so long ago in many people's minds. Mel will work again in the future as long as he behave himself until then. Stay away from the devil's alcohol, Mel ! ;)
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

From the "Hit List" section of the Sep. 3rd Entertainment Weekly (yes, I'm a bit behind...):

:lol:

Didn't he admit to beating his wife, Robin Givens. :eek: + :( + :mad:
  14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I don't remember....he did admit to that?
    Not that I'm a fan of Givens - I think she is a lying, greedy gold-digging lowlife. She is also sharp-tongued and bitchy. If Holly Robinson sucker-punched her, that should tell you something.
  15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I read that they changed their mind and his small role was being replaced by Liam Neeson. Anyone else heard this? Maybe the source misunderstood and Gibson is still in the film and so is Liam Neeson.
  16. duane

duane New Member

Other than marrying for money (something that if we were to list the women who have done the same, we'd be here forever), what exactly has Robin Givens done to label her a "lying lowlife" who's "sharped-tongued and bitchy"?

And from what I recall, Mike Tyson has admitted to beating Givens, saying something along the line that the "bitch tried to call the police on me in my own house."

I think there is no question that Tyson raped that beauty queen, whose story was strikingly similar to that told by Bill Cosby's daughter about Tyson trying to rape her. World-known trainer Teddy Atlas, who trained Tyson early in his career, is on record as saying their relationship ended when he found out Tyson was sexually inappropriate with a 13 year old kin of his, and that he put a gun to Tyson's head, saying he would blow his brains out if he did so again.

I agree that it's hypocritical for the cast to protest Mel Gibson when they didn't protest convicted rapist, wife-beating, woman-abuser Tyson in the first movie. But the cast probably didn't have any power in the first movie. Once it became such a success, their opinions now matter.
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have not seen The Hangover, but the cast had no power or standing in the industry at the time to pull such a move. They do now.
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I've seen the Hangover and wasn't impressed, especially with the embarrasing Chinese mafia-like character in the film. IMO the cast in these types of movies is completely interchangeable. Would anyone really miss Bradley Cooper or the other two whatever-their-names are if they were replaced? Highly doubted although the hype machine would have you believe otherwise.

I was reading an article about this from one of the online showbiz web site, and it seemed like it was only one guy - last name starts with a G - that objected to Mel's cameo. I'm sure may people couldn't identify this G dude in a lineup if their lives depended on it, LOL.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Holly Robinson said as much. Givens was a major snob in college and made some very nasty remarks about Holly's mother within her earshot. Hence the beatdown. And just because women marry for money "all the time" doesn't make it right.

You mean Erinn Cosby, the one with the drug problem who was prone to exaggerating and lying? Did she come forward during the rape trial or after? I'd have to take what she said with a grain of salt. Where is this article that mentions the incident with Atlas' relative? And there is some speculation that Desiree Washington has made up stories about being sexually assaulted before complaining about Tyson, so IMO she's suspect. Maybe he did rape her, but I am not totally convinced.

I'll agree with you here (bolded comment).
  20. duane

duane New Member

So Robin is a lowlife, snobby, lying bitch because Holly said so? This sounds like a personal beef between two people that began way before Hollywood, and I'm not taking sides.

And, marrying for money may not be "right", but is it wrong? Who is the authority on why women should marry? Financial stability for herself and her future children may be considered by some to be a better reason to marry than for love. Marrying for money definitely doesn't make someone a lying lowlife.

In regards to Mike Tyson, reportedly the prosecution documented a history of problems he's had with attractive young women during the trial. And unfortunately, rape is an equal-opportunity crime. Women of all races, classes, backgrounds, and ages are raped--not just the good and pure. It's a common tactic for defense attorneys to bring up a woman's past in rape trials, and Mike's high-powered defense did just that with Desiree Washington with supposed "speculation" of lying and former rape accusations (which, to my knowledge, are still just that--unproven speculations).

I don't have the article, but in the early 90's, a documentary on Mike Tyson was shown on TV and I recorded it. Atlas is one of those interviewed and made the comments himself. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.
  21. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I don't think that Holly was the only one to say so either.
    It makes Robin one, AFAIC.

Well, count me as one of the ones who doesn't believe Washington. Regardless of her background, ethnic, financial, social or otherwise.

Let me know when you find it :).
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is it not possible that Givens had feelings for Tyson when she married him? :confused:

I read in the newspaper that the crew and the studio both objected to Gibson being in the movie. It seems like in this thread people are focussing on the cast (ony).
  24. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Robin Givens always (to me) came off as a snobbish princess type who believed her own PR but I completely believed that Tyson beat her. And I don't think there is any doubt that Tyson is a rapist. Why anyone wanted to cast him in a film is totally beyond my understanding. But then I can't understand why people put money in the pockets of completely untalented reality "stars" by watching their dreck.

FWIW, I didn't realize that Mike Tyson had been in The Hangover & I saw the movie. I still don't remember his part though.
  25. duane

duane New Member

Who said I was looking? ;)
  26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm giving up here...I know when I've been outnumbered :slinkaway
  27. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Backing you up here. The next day I heard on ET that it was the cast AND crew that said they wouldn't work with him.

Better to replace Mad Mel than replace the cast and crew!:lol: