Matteo Guarise & ...Nicole Della Monica!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sk8swan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Hopefully things will work out for former world roller skating pair champion Matteo Guarise: he and Nicole Della Monica have paired up and plan to compete in next month's National championships!
    Here is the news: http://www.doppioaxel.it/index.php?appr=true&id=55#2
    The article says that Matteo, after figuring out that he and US champ Caitlin Yankowskas had no chance to compete at international level together, decided to come back to Italy. Here he got in touch with Nicole and they agreed to try out. As things worked out, they decided to announce their partnership and now they're trying to get ready in record-time for the Italian National Championships which will take place in Courmayeur, December 18th-20th.
    Good luck guys! :)

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's great news!

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Very ambitious to skate that soon! Good luck to them! :D

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Great, it'll be good to see her again.

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i would prefer to see caitlin so much, but i´m happy für nicole to find a new partner, let´s see what they could achieve in this short time.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Nicole's knee is healed enough for her to start skating again. It should be easier for them to make it to Worlds as the second Italian pair than in the US, so this qualifies as good news all around.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Let's hope a great American pair partner becomes available after the usual break-ups at US nationals.

8. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

Wow, didn't see this one coming.

Matteo and Caitlin would be so great, but I'm quite happy for this pairing :)
    Besto of luck to them.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

What happened with Matteo and the original U.S. skater he was teamed up with over the summer? I can't remember her name. Why didn't they work out?

Oh, I see in the attached article that it was Kaela Pflumm, tho' I can't read Italian so I'm not sure whether it states why it didn't work out with Kaela. "Pflumm si era gravemente infortunata a un ginocchio ..." Does that mean Pflumm suffered an injury?

ETA: Thanks for your response, Nomad

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yes. Specifically, a serious knee injury.

11. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Re Matteo Guarise: Are there any film clips of this roller skating phenomena on ice skates?? I can't imagine the transition.

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRf_rr2hp00

If he can do lifts like that...even with a partner who looks like she weighs more than the requisite 85 lbs....he'll be fine.

Some cool moves here. Longer/tougher program on skates, though and will require a lot more speed. He looks like he has a lot to offer...and has all kindsa heat, too!

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

14. shah

shah Shhh...

whee, great news! hopefully, this partnership will succeed :).
    btw, any new info on Kocon?

15. Sk8swan

:respec: :D
    ...and I love the pants comment :lol:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I wonder whether Caitlin didn't agree to represent Italy or whether USFS didn't agree to release her.

Shame that partnership wasn't possible because of politics. :(

17. Sk8swan

Well, he've been skating on the ice for almost 2 yrs now, committing to the sport, I'd say, full-time (besides for little time off here and there to keep going with his career as a model).
    Now he can land triples on the ice (toe and sal) and also managed triple throws with the several partners he tried out with.
    Spins look just fine, same for the lifts (he's used to very difficult ones on rollers!)

So he definitely made the transition! ;)

18. Sk8swan

19. Sk8swan

Summary/translation of the article:

Matteo Guarise, born in 1988, with his roller skating partner, Sara Verenucci, was Italian National Champion from 2007 to 2009 and World Champion in 2008. He switched to the ice in 2010, hoping to compete in Sochi 2014. Nicole Nicole Della Monica, 22 yrs old, former partner was Yannick Kocon, 6th at Euros in 2009 and 2010 and 12th in Vancouver.
    They train in Zanica and Milan.
    Here are some tidbits from the press conference:
    Nicole said that she had no intention to start skating again but she didn't refused the try-out with Matteo and from one day to the other they were a team.
    Matteo said the 2 yrs he spent on the ice weren't easy as he first got a Russian partner then another one in the USA... it looked like nothing was working when he finally found Nicole. He has the chance to persue is dream without being forced to stay too far from his family.

Nicole said she quitted after Vancouver because she needed a break mentally and also had some physical troubles. Her family supported her a lot in this decision to come back though they never forced her one way or the other. And her physical problems are now solved.
    Asked if Marika Zanforlin & Federico Degli Esposti inspired him to switch to the ice, he said that he didn't feel like following them when they switched (IMO because he had yet to win a Senior World title in roller skating) it was just the same person (Filippo Ferrari) who talked me into ice skating as he did with them. That's how I decided to give it a try.
    Asked if they'll have chance to compete at the same level with Berton & Hotarek they reply it's very difficult to say at this point but they'll work hard to be competitive. Also they say they have a lot to learn from them.
    About upcoming competitions: they plan to compete at Nationals in Courmayeur (that's in a less than 2 weeks, December 16-18) then they'll see. They plan to work hard and compete in international events when they feel they'll be ready.
    A quali gare avete in programma di partecipare in questa stagione?
    They might take the chance to compete in Bavarian Open or Challenge Trophy, to reach the ISU minimum score.
    About their programs they'll skate to Romeo & Giulietta by Nino Rota for the short. The long program will be classical but they won't say more as they're still working on it. The exhibition will be a bit more unusual.
    In the short program they plan a triple salchow sbs and throw one. They'll work on a throw triple loop as well and triple twist (they'll only do a double at first).
    Asked if there is an element where they have more difficulties Matteo replies he had to work a lot on his flow and edges (a Federation member steps in the conversation stating he improved a lot and doesn't look like a roller skater anymore...)
    About matching their tecnique Nicole says it felt like starting from zero after one yr without skating. Matteo says that he tried out with taller and heavier partner before who moved slower than Nicole so he had to speed up to keep up with her.
    They coaches right now are Silvia Martina and Luca Mantovani in Zanica at Nicole's club, Olympic Dream Ice School and Lucia Civardi and Barbara Fusar at Agorà in Milano, Matteo's club.
    ...more to come!

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Sk8swan

Nicole is still going to school in the evening and Matteo is working as a model for Major Models in Milano though he hopes to be able to commit to skating full-time one day. He has a few sponsors he hope they'll support the pair in the future.
    Asked what figure skaters they admire the most Nicole says Savchenko & Szolkowy and Volosozhar & Trankov. Matteo agrees with her and says Maxim is the perfect pair skater physically. He admits he doesn't know too much about figure skaters... he ended up skating in the same rink Patrick Chan and didn't even know who he was! :lol: He also admire Virtue/Moir, and the relaxed athmosphere Scott manages to create as soon as he steps on the ice.
    Matteo & Nicole's debut will be in exhibition on December 8th then, after Nationals, they'll be in Courchevel gala December 22 and 29.
    Italian skating magazine DoppioAxel www.doppioaxel.it, will keep a close eye on this new partnership :)

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Skary Babs in the K&C :cheer2:. Thank you for translating, Sk8swan. I enjoyed Nicole's skating with Yannick so it's nice to see she's getting another chance to compete.

Any word about their planned SBS jumps in the long program?

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

There are many clips on youtube of Matteo's roller skating. I haven't seen any clips of him on ice skates yet, but I too am interested in seeing how Matteo's skills translate to the ice (I think probably quite well -- he's def most hot, and has modeled quite often too). He's had some trouble apparently with successfully finding a pairs partner for the ice (too bad re Kaela's injury). Hopefully, the new pairing will takeoff. Would love to see Matteo and his new ice partner at Worlds. :cool:

Here are some links (some I previously posted when Matteo was announced to be partnered with Kaela): :hat1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvp7t7JAZPY Matteo Speaks!

http://www.major-models.de/men/matteo_guarise.htm

http://www.malemodelscene.net/matteo-guarise/

http://www.malemodelscene.net/editorial/matteo-guarise-hercules/

http://homotography.blogspot.com/2011/01/matteo-guarise-by-john-tan-predator.html

http://www.ohlalamag.com/en/2010/11/ohlala-matteo-guarise-for-hercules.html

And this is fun:

Guarise and Veneruccii roller skate to Christina Aguilera (Hurt and Candy Man)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVJueGhkck

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

24. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

They withdrew from Italian Nationals after the SP, apparently because they don't have a finished LP yet, I guess this means no Euros-Worlds for them unless Gillespie-Demate bomb at Sheffield.

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

They have a long way to go.

26. Sk8swan

They may have a long way to go but this is really impressive IMO after smth like 3 weeks skating together and considering it was Matteo's very first competitive debut on the ice!

27. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I am really impressed. :) I hope they do well and make Euros/Worlds in the future. He looks quite natural on the ice and very elegant.

28. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

True, a long way to go but more power to them, it takes guts to go out and there and perform after such an inadequate amount of training time. He probably has to battle long ingrained roller skating technique in order to do things on the ice instead. Is changing hands during a death spiral allowed?

29. skatingfan26

skatingfan26 New Member

It's done to increase the level.

30. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

It's like watching FS from 40 years ago...