Matt Savoie- why was he so underrated

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Matt Savoie was such a beautiful skater with great technique and athletic ability too. Yet judges never appreciated him, and he didnt even make a U.S World or Olympic team until his final year. Why wasnt he recognized more.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Matt was underrated because he did not have a quad in the Yag-Plushy ... -Goebel era.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Weir and lysacek didn't have quads pre 2007-8 but just like what happened in Torino he would tend to double late triples.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The judges and their obsession with the blasted quad, above all else. An exciting jump when well done, but if you can't do all the other elements well, then the program is not complete & balanced, IMHO. Matt deserved better treatment/respect by the judges through his eligible career.

6. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Matt skated in an era many guys who were beating him were not doing quads. There was much more to his lower placements, be it lack of hype, lack of excitement, lack of USFSA support, timing and the vagaraties of chance, or the judges plain just not liking him.

7. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Easy.

Matt Savoie had ZERO clout with USFS or the judges. His competitors, particularly Michael Weiss and Tim Goebel,had clout via their coaches (Wisiger/Heiss) and they had the quads.

Matt comes from Peoria, Illinois, not a skating mecca and his coach did not have the clout of the others. Also, as a devoted and full time college student at Bradley University (I believe), he did not have the time for "politics" by doing USFS shows, camps, seminars and the like to get the support USFS was putting behind the others.

As a result, his ranking kept dropping in the US......

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No quad weir and no quad lysacek totally supplanted weiss and goebel and so could have no quad savoie.

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How was his speed, as an adult? I only saw him compete live in 1997 and 98, when speed and posture were still issues for him as a junior/beginning senior. I can see that the posture improved, but it's hard to tell about speed on TV.

10. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

As a competitor Matt Savoie was a lowkey presence off the ice and, fair or unfair, was thought of by some as a rather bland presence on the ice. He was the sort of skater who inspired a select group of "serious" fans, but he did not have the charisma or flair of some other skaters of his era. He also had poor timing with his stirrup fiasco at 2003 US nationals and -- again fair or unfair -- came across as very low energy at the Dortmund worlds, where he placed something like 17th in the free. Sometimes he didn't fully capitalize on his chances.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I saw him compete several times and his skating didn't seem "slow" in comparison to the other men.

12. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

What about Matt's track record of clean performances? Unfortunately, in the 6.0 era, reputation was somewhat based on supposed consistency and clean skates. Skaters like Matt were never given the benefit of the doubt when they had error-filled performances (particularly in the long program).

Unfortunately, I can't think of many competitions where Matt had clean SP + FS except for perhaps 2001 GPF.

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Oh, but I can think of many mesmerizing and inspiring performances by Matt Savoie (look at the thread Sylvia linked for clips and comments). Numerous U.S. Nationals performances, exhibitions, 2006 Olympics performances (especially his fp). Matt is going to be remembered for the transcendent moments, no matter whether he was perfectly clean all the time in two performances at one competition.

Clearly, Stephane Lambiel rarely had clean skates during competitive performances. But neither Matt nor Stephane will be remembered for not skating cleanly in the way that Patrick Chan will likely be.

14. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Yes, I think this gets to the heart of it. Also, on and off the ice, he was sort of "introverted" in an extrovert's world...didn't help.

15. Eyre

Eyre New Member

He skated slow to me on TV.

16. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

When you finish 12th, 16th and 11th at Worlds, you must be lacking a lot more than just the political clout. JMHO.

17. shine

shine Well-Known Member

18. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

You can't look at one program is isolation and figure out what's missing. You have to see the rest of the field to figure out where he fits in the ranksing. I liked Matt a lot when he skating but in comparison with the other men competiting at the time, he wasn't World Podium material.

19. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I saw him at 2005 Skate Canada and he seemed pretty fast.

20. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Okay, so 10 skaters at the event all had a better free skate than this or what is it?

21. aftershocks

Absolutely shine, and thank you! Way ahead of what a lot of Worlds competitors look like today stumbling around trying to grab IJS points.

And, zaphyre14, if you need to look at what the other competitors did who were placed ahead of Matt that year, why not go back and do the research yourself. You're the one seemingly trying to belittle Matt's accomplishments and disprove the clear fact that he was under-appreciated during his competitive career. Matt Savoie is a skater's skater whose performances had great influence in a subtle but very impacting way. His skating still delights and mesmerizes fans who understand that he epitomizes the essence of what skating is all about: pure technique/ pure athleticism combined with pure artistry and heartfelt emotion. Matt Savoie was a skater who was not only ahead of his time, he also transcended time in joyous moments on the ice that will live forever.

To claim that Matt wasn't "World Podium material" is actually meaningless, even despite being a dismissive insult. I'll bet lots of skaters WISH they could skate like Matt Savoie did in his Worlds debut, or indeed skate like Matt on any given day, and that includes current World champion, Patrick Chan. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kathy Johnson, former mentor and dance instructor for both Matt Savoie and Jeremy Abbott, is now exclusively coaching Patrick Chan.

Despite his World podium medals and substantial top-notch skating assets, Patrick is essentially still searching for his own elusive identity and self-acceptance as a skater on the ice. Patrick is a wannabe trying to follow and live up to the genuine authenticity and artistry of Canadian giants, Toller Cranston, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, and he's trying to equal the artistic excellence of skaters like Matt Savoie, Jeremy Abbott, Dai Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, and Johnny Weir. Having a boatload of medals doesn't actually provide anyone with the transcendent stature, esteemed reputation and legacy of genuine performance quality and magical moments on ice that the aforementioned skaters have achieved, and in whose bootsteps Patrick is at the moment a mere speck even despite his humongous SS.

ETA:

Thank you, Matt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lFAsNpBJbk0&feature=endscreen
    Who cares about the clueless marks! If chills don't run up your spine watching this seamless performance, are you truly a skating fan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-zsYqfw-pg 2006 Olympics fp
    Amazing transitions and musical interpretation. Just wow! Matt Savoie is inspiring in the way that he overcame his shyness, self-doubts, skating politics, performance anxieties and athletic pressures to achieve his goals and his dreams. Kudos!

I love Matt Savoie! I love Tom Dickson!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  22. munow

munow New Member

Lol I have to agree there.

23. skatesindreams

If it gives you chills simply to watch this, you can only imagine what it was like to be in the arena!
    I cried.

24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I made one post. How is that belittling? Over-react much?

I'm not saying - and never have said - that Matt wasn't good. He was a marvelous skater and I enjoyed watching him. That's it. But I do find it hard to buy into the concept that many panels of different judges from all over the country and the world over a period of amny somehow conspired to keep him down in the standings. That's just nuts.

Sometimes, no matter how good you are, you're just not good enough.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  25. skatesindreams

I hope no one ever says that to, or about, you!

It didn't apply to Matt, IMO.

26. aftershocks

^^ Stay stuck on the numbers then. What Matt Savoie has achieved in his life and in his skating career will never be measured by man-made ISU judges' scores and placements.

LOL alright. It's definitely fun to sit on the sidelines and make argumentative judgments... very tempting and pleasurable for our egos. I do admire Patrick that at least he's on the field of battle making the effort and achieving some genuine triumphs. Still he has a long way to go, IMO. Skating is very subjective, so to each their own assessment. What we think doesn't really matter in the face of transcendent artistic genius, which Matt Savoie's skating career abundantly epitomizes.

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It's one thing to appreciate what a skater does well, and to lament what they did not do so well or lament the fact that the judging standards at the time seemed to prioritize different strengths or lament the luck of some skaters having breakout performances in the right place at the right time and others suffering from the luck of the draw, off day at just the wrong time, or skating in the shadow of more successful compatriots.

I think all of the above reasons can explain why Savoie didn't have more competitive success -- without positing active conspiracy theories -- and why many fans adore his skating nonetheless.

I just don't like the approach of declaring some skaters "worthy" and others "unworthy" as summaries of their entire careers. I'd rather just enjoy the good stuff.

28. aftershocks

Ah, dear zaphyre14, mayhap you might look to your own posts for overreaction ...

I echo skatesindreams comments.

Again, zaphyre14, maybe you are describing an experience you personally recall of not being considered "good enough." I sympathize with you there. Matt Savoie never allowed judges' put-downs to define his worth as a person and a figure skater (neither has Max Aaron, as he recently publicly reflected). Most skaters who have the grit and determination to achieve learn to develop a tough skin and to let the judges' marks melt from their memory. Patrick Chan might be well advised to do the same.

And btw, you seem to be the main person talking about conspiracy, nuts and judges' panels. Most of us in here are talking about what a great skater Matt Savoie is, and how under-appreciated he was during his competitive career. Those who don't agree about those two facts can enjoy eating all the nuts they can consume.

As always, thanks for your astute logic and perceptiveness, gkelly.

29. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Agreed. Savoie just out-COPed about 98% of the skaters skating under COP in that program.

I also agree. There's a difference between judges actively conspiring against a certain skater (which no one has suggested) and vastly overlooking the skater due to him not having a strong political clout or federation backing (which is what most people here are suggesting), being USA's number 3 and not even a consistent pick at that. In reality, the latter was probably very close to the truth.

30. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

You ride a very high horse, Aftershocks.

mag and (deleted member) like this.