Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by tapper88, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

CBC article:

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I don't think Slipchuk could say anything else. There's not much to say. By then, he knew whether or not he'd spoken to Cinquanta (which I guess he hadn't) and was prepared to help. What else can one say?

3. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

RIght, and it might be inappropriate to say anything until the Tokyo organizers and ISU had made a decision.

4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Really good idea.

5. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

It may just have to not be the kind of Worlds everyone is used to.Scaled down may be the way to go at the moment.

6. bek

bek Guest

Well I'm thinking thats why having it in Asia especially someplace like Korea, might make it easier for some of the ticket holders to change plans. But even if it isnt' easier, I think the ISU can do their best to make it up to the current ticket holders. Like offering them the ability to exchange their tickets for this years or next years worlds.

The main thing though is the skaters, and the fact that many have worked their entire lives for this moment.

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Agreed. Part of why I'm not sure what Kim Lucine, Amodio and Anais Morand were doing tweeting/facebook posting about whatever information they had-especially because it all seems to conflict.

I think that anyone saying anything in advance of Speedy is unfair to him and to other officials who are working hard doing something.

8. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

A few minutes ago one more little quake happened. Confusing information about power cut. They say it won't be but I am not sure. Right now everywhere here the electricity is fine. But the situation with public transport is awful. Many lines are stopped. Of course in such situation it is a kind of difficult to host the Worlds. But at the same time I don't support the idea to cancel it completely. It's just too lazy. A lot of people are making efforts now, it takes them hours to get to work, nobody cancels trips to work. So, ISU should make some efforts too, to either choose another place for the Worlds and postpone it for 3-4 weeks.

9. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If the host is to be changed, Korea is more ideal than Taiwan because of all the craze for the sport and for Yuna. I would imagine it would be extremely easy to get volunteers (and sponsors if the original ones pulled out). Ticket sales won't be a problem. Of course everyone local just wants to see Yuna but the ISU could arrange local volunteer shifts and ticket sales as a package deal etc (you wanna volunteer for a ladies session you must volunteer twice as much for dance / pairs etc).

Also, same time zone, one less thing for TV broadcasters to worry about.

With the fresh experience of having hosted Junior Worlds and their bid for 2018, I bet Korea would make this work very well.

Beijing, China would also work for similar reasons in previous hosting experience, money, ticketing and venue etc.

If Worlds was to use the WTT time slot in Japan instead, I think they might have to cut competitors so as to fit all the competition into the shorter time frame.

11. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

I expect that there would be quite a few spectators as well, including some driving from the Detroit and Buffalo areas.

This U.S. citizen would easily vote for Ontario!

12. WildRose

Thanks Marroncream - I'll look forward to hearing more details when they are available :)

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Waiting for Speedy...

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Thank you, Marroncream.

I'm personally glad they say postpone and not cancel. I wonder if they will be held somewhere else?

15. bek

bek Guest

I think Korea works better than Beijing because skating seems to be much more popular in Korea right now.

16. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

ITA - simple and solemn is appropriate, with tributes to the Japanese.

17. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I think it would be a mistake to host World's in Korea. As much as you would like to think it wouldn't matter in the circumstances, some would definitely see it as a slap to the face for the Japanese. Especially if Yu-na wins.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Speedy is not speedy.

19. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I don't think this is really the time to tip toe around such situations. Worlds needs to happen somewhere, and if the ISU believes Korea is the best bet, the competition will be there.

20. WildRose

I took postponed to mean they still hope to hold it in Japan...

21. bek

bek Guest

But what if Yu-na doesn't win. Last time Yu-na skated in a major championship in Korea, she lost. I'm not so sure she loves skating in Korea.

Besides, not everything is about Japan vs Korea. This is about first and foremost the athletes getting to have their Worlds. Having it in Korea makes it easier for some of the fans from Japan to go than if its in Canada. Plus, its also less travel time for the Japanese athletes. A worlds in Korea could probably make some money, and some of the proceeds could go to the relief effort.

22. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

This is starting to make sense. If Worlds is being postponed it jives with Slipchuk suggesting that he's going to let Japan decide what its doing and then think later about to what extent Skate Canada can help or step in. Rules out potential of comp being held at same time in different location since there's no evidence someone city is scrambling to get ready.

Feel free to pick London ON or SoCal! I live near London and have two biz trips to LA in the next few months!!

23. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I agree. I think in the face of tragedy, it's important to keep pushing forward and embrace those endeavors that truly capture the human spirit.

I won't presume to speak for them, but I'd imagine the Japanese skaters would prefer there to BE a worlds since they have been working so hard. Any and all medals the team would manage could be a huge source of inspiration and hope for their country.

24. bek

bek Guest

I think it could be either/or. Postpone and totally see if Japan can still hold it. But frankly I don't think in two weeks time they could switch countries anyways.

25. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Korea is helping Japan as much and fast as possible. LNG, rescue dogs and crews, etc.

This is not the time, IMO, to talk about it. Sorry if I misread you.

26. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

More about postponement from patinaggio on twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/patinaggio/status/47145001532129280

Google translation of the article:
    World Figure Skating Championships was scheduled to kick off at the National Yoyogi Stadium in Tokyo July 21, 14, be postponed due east of the earthquake, officials found the story. Also be announced Monday afternoon.

International Skating Union was exploring the possibility of opening just before 21, seems to emphasis the impact of the first nuclear power plant accident in Fukushima. The federation said in a statement released by the 13 "have come up with recommendations to avoid traveling to Japan in many countries" and had expressed concern.

Figure World Championships, there are cases of the tournament was canceled in 1961, killing all the aircraft crashed to the U.S. team headed to the venue in Prague.

Daisuke Takahashi in the men's World Championships (graduate Hiroshi Seki) and women's Mao Asada (中京大) has won the last, which hangs in the first two consecutive stress in Japan.

27. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Over 1,000 posts and I'm closing this thread.

Please go over the Off beaten track to continue.

There will be a new thread here when there's an official announcement regarding Worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.