Massive Earthqake in Japan- Will this affect Worlds?(threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by tapper88, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

an 8.9 earthquake happened in Japan, plus a huge Tsunami. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this huge tragedy. :(

I was also wondering if Worlds was going to be cancelled or postponed in light of these natural disasters. Anyone know?

2. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

No idea. But it would be very odd for it to be canceled/postponed 50 years after the last time it was canceled. *shudders*

3. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

That question came up in the V&M thread. Right now the attention rightfully so is on getting everyone in the effected areas to safety. At least those in the other pacific rim countries will have a bit more warning time than those in Japan.

But afterward, who knows? It's such a tragedy; would the ISU still be concerned with having a figure skating competition? Even if Tokyo isn't really effected surrounding areas will be.

If Worlds was still a few weeks or a month away it might be different but it's going to take more than a week for the Japanese people to clean up and try and get their lives back together. I'm hoping that everyone stays safe and that our Japanese FSUers are okay.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with the people of Japan.

But, regarding the World Championships, many months would have gone into its planning, not withstanding the number of people, organisers, athletes, fans, and reporters, who would be coming to Tokyo to see the competition.

Rescheduling at this stage with a week's notice would be impossible.

5. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Yeah, I agree- I'm thinking it will either be cancelled or postponed.

Hoping our Japanese FSU posters are okay!

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Unless most of the skaters are already there...Tokyo's busiest airport is mostly underwater :shuffle:

Prayers goes out to all of them!

EDIT: It's ALL underwater.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  7. skatepixie

Prayers to all.

Is that the one that is on a man-made island? My husband says he watched a special on it.

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Preliminaries are only 10 days away and I'd be surprised to see Worlds go on as planned.
    My best wishes to everyone effected by this sudden disaster.

9. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Oh my god.....:eek::eek:
    I'm very concerned about Japanese safety.

10. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

11. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

Do it have any influence of Worlds? really worry people who live there:( Best wishes~

12. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

I just saw the news and the reports said that other countries will be affected by tsunami as well in the region. Scary.

13. NONA

NONA New Member

It was very very terrible earthquake, specially Sendai Yuzuru Hanyu's hometown but I hear he's safe.

We are all waiting for the information about World's from Japan Figureskating Federation and ISU.
    We need time to tell you more details.

14. LLOS

LLOS New Member

This is horrible!! I don't think Worlds can take place as planed...maybe they can move it to an other, not affected city of Japan...or they move it to Canada or so, they may could organise it within a short time since skating is very popular there...

15. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

:(:(:(:(:(

16. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

There is a thread discussing the earthquake in Japan already going in the Off The Beaten Track forum. Here is the link for the discussion.

There is also a thread here about how this will affect the World Championships.

17. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

I do have a feeling that worlds will be canceled, even a delay is not very likely. With such a damage, all the media and the whole country will be focus on NOTHING else but this for at least 1 month, the aftershocks, the rescue, the clean-up, the rebuild, and how to settle down those homelesses to another city, etc. And even after that, it will be very tough for Japanese audience to sit down and enjoy a competition imo, because the pain is hard to be gone. I remember in 2008 after the serious earthquake happened in Sichuan, China, it's just so hard for us to watch even a short entertaining video clip because we don't feel like laughing at all...

Anyway, prayers to all, and wish the victims rest in peace :(

18. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The news I'm watching at the moment says that the airport underwater is in Sendai, 300 kms. from Tokyo. So far as I know Tokyo's main airport, Narita, is fine.

What this means for Worlds still remains to be seen.

My heart goes out to the Japanese lives lost and destructed due to the earthquake and tsunami. I live in Vancouver BC and we know we will by a major quake at some time, the question is not if, but when.

Maybe Worlds will proceed - maybe not. The Canadian news I'm seeing at the moment, which is featuring Japanese reports, is very calm, clashing with the horrific images of flooding and fire.

So I just don't know whether Worlds can proceed or has to be canceled.

20. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

IMO, the most reasonable thing to do is to postpone the Worlds until April, and use the time slot and venue booked for Team Trophy, i.e. next best alternative would be to save the Worlds and cancle the cheesefest instead.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

the news says that a nuclear powerplant near Tokyo has set off its automatic alarm system and some of facility is on fire.

oh god.........

22. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Frankly, who cares what happens to Worlds at this stage? Very unimportant in the scheme of things.

smurfy, Sassafras, Cyn and 3 others like this.
  23. skatepixie

Prayers for Tatiana and Maxim.

@AllezFred This is a figure skating forum. Yes, everyone here is concerned for the victims and has expressed that. However, being that it is a figure skating forum, people are going to speculate on the status of the competition when this happens a few hundred miles away. That doesn't make them heartless or anything else.

24. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

According to Japanese media, the focus of this earthquake is not in Tokyo (North Area in Japan).
    Currently almost railways in Tokyo are stopped for the safety, but not received any serious damages for main lifeline.

So I think the Worlds will not be cancelled....I hope so.

25. skatepixie

Thats good that the trainlines are safe.

Narita airport is currently shut down according to the US Army, as reported by Fox News. Also, according to the pentagon, all US servicemen/women are accounted for on our airforce base there. So that's at least some good news (the US army people, I mean).

26. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Never said anyone was heartless. Just making the statement that in the grand scheme of things where lives are being lost and whole cities and towns being destroyed what happens with regard to a figure skating competition is pretty trivial. In my opinion.

27. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Narita Airport is closed from reports I am seeing in Australia, as anyone would expect. The Tsunami has hit across the entire eastern seaboard of Japan. How far inland the tsunami has travelled into Japan is not clear as yet.

There was not one tsunami but two, the BBC are reporting.

Other pacific areas are in danger for Tsunamis, especially low lying islands. Other areas, including Hawaii, the eastern seaboard of Australia and the western seaboard of USA are on Tsunami alert.

A fire in a nuclear turbine plant in north eastern Japan is being reported.

28. skatepixie

It is, except it sort of isn't with one of the pair teams unaccounted for. :(

29. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

V&T may be having trouble using their mobile phone international roaming service. I have been trying to call my friends in Tokyo via international phone line for last 3 hours, but lines are not working.

30. skatepixie

Hopefully that's all it is. Heck, even figuring out how to use one's phone internationally can be weird, at times, and if they are trying to get to a safe place to wait this out and all -- well, calling Russia might not be 1st priority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.