Massimo Scali, the challenge continues

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eleonorad, May 6, 2012.

1. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/12001

When we were in Nice pingu and I got to interview Massimo, which was very kind indeed and talked us a lot about his opinion on ice dance, the italian school, his pupils in Detroit etc- this is the english translation of the interview, I hope you enjoy!

2. reut

reut Active Member

Great interview, thank you.
    It has so many interesting details in it, both about the work in Detroit and Massimo's thoughts about ice dance in general.
    I miss him and his stories at press conferences... :(

3. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Are Massimo and the American still together? Massimo is such a good looking guy! :) Just curious..Not going to say names because I know how some people are with this (even though it's a double standard because people's weddings,engagements, girlfriend/boyfriend and other personal info can be discussed here)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

It's news to me that it can't be discussed. Massimo is an adult. As long as what is discussed is fact, not rumor or speculation, there is no reason his significent other can't be named. However, that kind of discussion is usually done in the Trash Can since strictly speaking it's not skating news.

5. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the interview, great read! Massimo sounds very happy in his role as coach
    in Detroit.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Great interview -- thank you so much for the interview!

7. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Thank you so much. Interesting interview. The DSC Ice Dance school is so impressive.

8. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Thanks! We had a lot of fun, Massimo is a very down to earth guy so it was not difficult to talk with him for such a long time :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. skatingfan12

skatingfan12 New Member

I think his point about how he hopes the team event at the Olympics won't effect the individual events. For example, if one skater wins their portion in the team, but many people think another skater wuzrobbed, so they give them in an advantange in the individual.

Although I think whoever wins the dance portion in the team will likely win the individual event barring any major mistakes.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Since skating is so political (not to mention team competition will be a new, untested discipline for the Olympics), this will be an interesting factor/ aspect of the judging to watch.

11. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

I was interested that Massimo said Anjelika primarily does choreography, not technical training of skaters...she always struck me as one of the most versatile dancers ever, an absolute master of technique.

I will be interested to see how the "emotional" Detroit school develops...

terrific interview. so nice to see a skater express themselves well w/o one sentence of bland PR-speak

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thank you, eleonorad and pingu. :) I have always been impressed by how thoughtful and articulate Massimo is, and this interview confirms my view. Love him.

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Grazie for amazing interview! I love to see perspectives from ice dancers and recently we've had a lot of them. I'd better make a list of interview pages :D

Well, there was a reason for Team Detroit's thrive this season! Massimo is such a delightful, hard-working person. I wonder what the next season will prevail for him and the team Detroit.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Yes, personal info about any skater has never been brought up in a Great Skate Debate thread ever before...why start now? :p :lol:

15. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Thank you, Eleonorad and pingu, for that very insightful interview!
    I found this aspect especially interesting where he talks about why there is no big coaching team that draws in high level pupils in Italy itself: "unfortunately some people are often &#8220;fighting&#8221;, instead of creating a school made by a team of coaches who are willing to go in the same direction and who build champions, because there are many talents between our athletes."

17. tut88

tut88 Member

Thank you !
    Massimo always says what he thinks !
    "unfortunately some people are often &#8220;fighting&#8221;, instead of creating a school made by a team of coaches who are willing to go in the same direction and who build champions, because there are many talents between our athletes."
    I totally agree about this !
    That's the problem we have in Italy !!
    I'm so happy and greatfull that Pasquale and Angelika opened their doors to him, it's not from everyone !
    Can't wait to see what he will built for his couples !
    Vai Massimo !!!

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Very interesting interview, thanks! I will miss seeing Massimo (and Federica) on the ice, but it's good that he is staying so involved in skating - and at least we can still see him at the boards and in the K&C ;). I wonder if he'll eventually follow Pasquale's lead and work on choreography for non-dancers?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is Federica's position with the police?

19. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

20. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Gold Flames sounds like a synchronised skating team. :lol:

21. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

That's why I wrote the Italian version and not the English translation :shuffle:

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So it's a system like in Germany with all the skater "soldiers", ie. the Italian police funds athletes?

But Faiella is not a competitive athlete any more so won't she actually have to work for her wages now? ;)

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The answer to the first question is yes; to the second is yes, that's why she is taking courses in the fiamme oro.

24. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the interview. I really enjoyed reading it. He sounds very down to earth and very dedicated to his skaters. Wishing him all the best.

25. tut88

tut88 Member

YEs it works like in Germany.
    Anna and Luca too are supported by Fiamme Oro.

Federica decided to stay in the Police, as all, she could have left when she retired. It was her decision.
    But she is working also as coach, with kids.:)