Marley/Brubaker Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I really liked them at Nationals, and thought the Olympics were in reach.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

Feeling gutted right now. :( I loved this team and believed they could be the best the U.S. has had in years. I just saw them skate twice this summer! Ugh. And here I was looking forward not to just 2014 but 2018. :fragile:

3. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Maybe they are not through...could it be a mistake? Or a rash decision...?? At this point you never know what could happen.

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Nothing is guaranteed, but I think if they went through the trouble of putting out the press release, it's over. Pairs can be split for weeks and months without a press releases going out. But having an announcement put out there is an official signal that Rockne is looking elsewhere.

What? Cohen is listed at 6 feet. Rockne is absolutely nowhere near that, and Caitlin needs someone as close to 6 ft as possible.

I don't really understand your post, but just because some skaters would prefer to only train in certain places, it doesn't mean that they are doing something bad. If you look at icepartnersearch, there are plenty of skaters who list themselves as unwilling to relocate or undecided about where they would be willing to skate. One of the challenges of pair skating is getting both partners to agree on a number of major issues. Sometimes sacrifices are required to keep the team as a whole working. That has nothing to do with Poapst not wanting to be a US citizen. :shuffle:

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

just saw this. :wuzrobbed

gutted :fragile:

6. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Awk!!..What is going on this year ?

They were so promising. Stunned.

7. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

SO BEYOND TRUE.....

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I guess the only word I can come up with is "Wow". speechless, really.

Something must have happened to/with Marley for her to quit so early. Yes, it's likely personal business and thus not available to fans, but as much of a shock as it seems to us, I don't think this exactly came out of nowhere. SOMETHING went down, and very recently too, it seems.

Still though- if USFS or other entity does not provide SOME incentive (or assistance) to pair teams to help them stay together, we will continue to languish in the discipline. Simple as that.

9. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Sad and, at this point, unexpected news. :( Rockne really have bad luck!

10. avivadawn

avivadawn New Member

(Banging Head) (Banging Head)

WTH?

11. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

Never going to happen - it would have to be a cold day in hell for that to happen.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

^^THIS.

13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

So shocked about this news. I was very impressed with them in their first year together, and even more so last season. I will miss them as a team, but I wish them both all the best. Hope Rockne finds a very good skating partner soon!

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Gah, I really think they had a chance at the title. I can't picture Rockne switching to ice dance (although I'd be glad to take him thru all of his dances :swoon:). Sad day for US pairs; Tai Babilonia posted this on Facebook.

15. floskate

floskate Vacant

Wow just saw this and actually gasped in shock! WTF happened? :eek: :fragile:

16. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

Nooooo :fragile:
    I wasn´t expecting this at all, it´s shocking even for US pairs breaking standards :(
    What a pity :( I absolutely loved them at worlds.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Yes, I was completely bummed when I saw this posted on Facebook last night. I adored them as a pair and thought they had a ton of potential.

That said, clearly something's going on with Mary Beth and I wish her the very very best in whatever she now chooses to do. We can speculate all we want and we may never know the reason she decided to stop skating, but we need to respect the decision regardless.

Rockne's probably going to lose this season and I hope he can find a good partner and continue skating next season.

18. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Depressing :(

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

With the Olympics only two years away and the team improving with each season, they were almost certain a lock for the Olympics and it's sad that Mary Beth couldn't tough it out just a little while longer.

Since Mary Beth is saying she's taking a break from competitive skating it makes me think she either had a mental breakdown or a serious physical injury. If it was physical, she would probably say so in the press release, but she didn't.

In any case, no skater is under any obligation to continue on when their heart isn't in it. It's just sad for Rockne that he will probably miss out on the Olympics each time in his career.

And no, Keauna is not coming back. She has grown too much to be paired with Rockne any more. He is really short and needs a midget girl who is done growing.

My bet for the Olympics now is Shnapir and Castelli. They are a really incredible athletic team.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Yes, and it's up to the individual skaters (and their families) to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice. In the big picture of life, "the Olympics" isn't everything for everyone.

21. laceup

laceup New Member

THIS!!!

22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Would Marissa be too tall for Rockne? She does seem to be the stronger of that pairing (which is not to say she *should* break up, just wondering). :slinkaway

So sorry to hear this news. :(

23. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Sylvia this is so important and should be posted on everything including icenetwork as a response.

The inner spirit of the individual sometimes gets lost...where fans think about the Oly team and Team USA it can become that an individual should "stick it out" or sacrifice more. IT is for none of us to say. IT is for the individual whose life it is to do what is best for them and for us to wish them well and respect that period.

Thank you for bringing that to light....it is important.

24. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Maddie Aaron??

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Not only is the Olympics not everything to everyone and worth any sacrifice no matter how great, but there is no reason that the US has to be a force in Pairs.

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wow, this is surprising.

Reminds me of a really, really talented young 16 year old dancer at my school. So talented that my teacher called me to tell me I needed to see her new prodigy. My teacher was ready to take her to Varna or Moscow competition -- and she was very selective about who went to competitions. The girl suddenly decided she wanted to be on the cheerleading squad at high school and go to the prom and had no time for ballet. And just quit. You never know with a teenager.

27. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec New Member

not great lift positions!!!!!!! ur crazy... hahaha

I think Andrea would go well, she has the skills, the right size...

I'm not sure what the deal is with citizenship but she has competed twice at US nats I think?
    So surely it's possible?

Sad to see another US pair be so short lived...

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

So did I.
    There must be something more to this than we know.

29. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:lol:

okay that just struck me funny

30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Just saw this. :( So sad! I loved them!