Marley/Brubaker Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

AGREED!
  2. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I'm... speechless.... I just...

*headdesk*
  3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'm in total shock.

Best of luck to Rockne in trying to salvage his season. And best of luck to Mary Beth as she goes on to the next phase of her life. High level figure skating isn't for everyone.
  4. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

If Amanda Dobbs really is 5'4 (which is what her IN bio says) it just might work, although it's obviously not ideal. I have a feeling she may be an inch or two taller now, though.
  5. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Are you effing kidding me? I loved the video we saw of whatever summer competition, she was so much improved.

...I agree, call Caitlin...
  6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Dream. Pairing.

Sorry Josh, but if I were Caitlin...I'd dump you. :shuffle:
  7. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I thought they were BOTH much improved as a pairs team. Unfortunately they had a few things working against them from the beginning and it was going to take a lot of hard work and long term dedication to make this pairing happen.

It's kind of sad to see Mary Beth step away from competitive skating as she had a lot of potential. It can't have been easy pairing up with Rockne and always trying to skate up to to his talent and level of skating. I hope she is proud of what she accomplished in such a short time.

Good luck to both of them in their future endeavors.
  8. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Don't know what the reason is, but hate to see Rockne lose a pre-Oly season because of this...I really think Ashley is too tall. Yup, call Caitlin or -Amanda - Team USA needs you. :)
  9. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

It feels like something has to have happened that hasn't been said. Who's got the :sekret:?
  10. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

There has to be a story there. I can't imagine who would walk away from one of the world's best partners (IMHO, except his height limits his potential partners) AND a solid shot at Olympic games. One one hand your heart and head have to be fully committed...yet on the other hand it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Rockne needs to get on the phone asap. His only chance for 2014 is to get an experienced pairs skater. I don't know US scene that well. Anyone in juniors at least one triple and a 2A? Looks like Kylie Duarte is too tall. What about Jessica Pfund or Madeline Aaron? Don't know their height but looks like some skills...
  11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm done with US pairs. A million depressions. Now, Donlan/Speroff will split and Divette will out grow Utah. My heart is shattered. Russia will have all my attention from hence forth. ((((Rockne)))) He really can't catch a break.
  12. Terri C

Terri C New Member

Since Mary Beth is retiring at such a young age, I'm thinking that it's either burnout or finances.
  13. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Oooo, I like this idea. (One can dream, right?)
  14. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

Weren't they just in Detroit recently as well? Burnout, far from home, injury???? Hate to see another breakup--sadly growing used to it.
  15. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Yesterday, I was reading into the threads 50 pages back just for kicks and read through the thread about Keauna and Rockne splitting and now this happens :(
  16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Aw man. :( Best wishes to both of them in whatever comes next but this really sucks. :fragile: :wall: :eek: :huh: :wuzrobbed
  17. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I know, this was my thought too. I feel bad for both of them. :(
  18. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

WHYYYY :fragile:

ARGH, US PAIRS :wall:
  19. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

My best wishes to both of them and I hope that everything's okay with Mary Beth BUT I have to say dammit dammit dammit!! :(

Was really looking forward to watching them growing together as a pair. So much potential and a whole lot of improvement from last season to now, but not to be anymore, alas! Hope Rockne finds a long-term partner soon.
  20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

This is just shocking! I was not expecting to see this news at all! I really hope Rockne can find another partner. I feel so bad for him. He's a great pairs skater (one of the best in the US for sure) but he can't seem to catch a break. :(
  21. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

The large age difference between them and different levels of experience, etc., always made this a real possibility, but this is very odd timing with the GP starting in just 2 months, and of course the Olympics in less than 2 years. Mary Beth quitting abruptly like this with no reason at all given in the press release (not even a "I want to focus on school" reason like Keauna gave) is quite strange. Perhaps she was thinking about this for a while and couldn't take it any longer, or maybe there was some sort of emergency situation. It's a shame.

I feel for Rockne, because he's 5'8", and finding him a 5'0 and under Sr level pairs partner this close to the Olympics will be ridiculously difficult.
  22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

What happened???
    They were so promising. I loved the snippets from their summer competitions. What a disappointment.
  23. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

This is such a bad timing for a split. Poor Rockne, he needs to steal Kiri Baga from Toth or Felicia Zhang from Bartholomay or maybe convince one of the lots of single junior girls to jump ship before they get lost in the singles ladies shuffle. Otherwise his Sochi dreams are done.
  24. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Look closely at her videos with Josh and John- both boys are over 6 foot...guys Rockne is really small- IMO smaller than the 5'8'' that is reported...
  25. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Yep thats exactly what US Pairs needs- More breakups! Yeah!
  26. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Of course!! Split is natural! Poor Pairs in America.
  27. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

exactly:lol: it they are gonna do the chairs game do it right!:p
  28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm devastated. Really loved them and I'm grateful I got to see them skate live at 2011 Nationals and 2012 4CC.
  29. hippychick

hippychick New Member

yeah I agree, I really hope that Rockne doesn't "steal" anyone. US pairs need to learn the value of "longevity".
  30. momof5

momof5 New Member

Betting a million that Rockne teams up with Caitlin in the next few days, just my opinion....brother and Caitlin in Michigan.
  31. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear this news. They were a team that had much potential.
  32. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Again, this is virtually impossible because of their lack of height difference. Rockne is short for a pairs guy. Caitlin is on the taller side for a pairs girl. Even if she's just 5'3", she can't partner with someone barely 5'8".
  33. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

:eek:

I'm so upset. So I can't even imagine how Rockne must feel. He was so, so close-again! First Keauna, and now Mary-Beth...I agree with those who have said there were always facts with this pairing that could have led to it not working, but I just never would have expected to read about it until perhaps after Sochi. I'm so gutted for him.

They were progressing so well :( I really thought they had a shot of challenging for the US title this year.

I feel for Mary Beth; this can't have been an easy decision, regardless of the reasons. But for it to become a very real possibility that Rockne will miss the Olympics again- :wuzrobbed:
  34. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

What the hell?!

What a shame. What is it about US pairs where they can never stick it out for the long haul?
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  35. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Amanda would not work. She still says she's 5'4, but Rockne is a weak 5'9 and best, and MB at like 4'9 or 4'10 and around 85 lbs was a good match size wise. Ashley Cain is 5'6 so definitely not, Yankowskas is 5'2 or 5'3 and that's still probably too tall. The girls that would potentially work size wise would be Baga, Davis, and Zhang, but they all have new partners so I doubt they'd ditch them at this point....maybe if Yasmin Siraj wanted to do pairs.

Anyways I'm totally shocked. They were basically a shoo-in for the Olympic team and she's only 17, and she's not quitting pairs to focus on singles, so I wonder what's up...
  36. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a case of losing patience. If Mary Beth is retiring in the middle of so much success, there are obviously larger issues going on. If she and Rockne were merely angry at each other, they'd each be looking for new partners. Whatever happened, I hope MB finds happiness in the next chapter of her life and I hope Rockne can find a new partner in time to go to the Olys.

And I hope some team out there can beat D/C at Nats.
  37. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

I still say Andrea Poapst. There has to be a way to Tanith Belbin her!
  38. icellist

icellist Member

Rockne could ask Keauna if she wants to return to competitive skating.
  39. Otterpop

Otterpop New Member

Yes! Definitely Andrea! She is the perfect height for Rockne and a beautiful skater!
  40. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Maybe he already has :EVILLE: ;)