Mark Wahlberg, Actor, Graduates from High School at Age 43

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Mark Wahlberg had dropped out of school in 9th grade, and just this summer got his high school diploma. Not an honorary one - a real one. He took online classes to finish it up.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-wahlberg/winning-my-toughest-role-_b_3936326.html

I remember reading, maybe a year ago, that he wanted to go back and finish his high school diploma for his kids. I am always impressed as all get out when people, who left school, go back, often decades later, and get their diploma or GED. IMO, takes a lot of courage.

A quote from the man himself:

How cool is that?
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Good for him making it public! :cheer:

I have friends who are starting college late, and many of them are afraid that they'll never be ready, or that they're "too old." (Which is funny, because every one of them are not even in their 30s yet..) The more people who do this and are proud of their accomplishments, the more we help each other.
  4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Good for him - it's a very nice accomplishment at the personal level, and it's great when someone who's accomplished a lot in their career chooses to focus on education.

My favorite "famous person goes back to school" example was when Brian May finished his PhD in astronomy a few years ago, after a 30+ year break for his music career. I think regardless of whether it's a high school diploma, a doctorate, or anything in between, it's a wonderful example.
  5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Wow, very cool.
  6. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Jaden Smith should learn a thing or two from Mark... Well done!
  7. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

That's awesome!
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nice going and congrats to him.
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's good to see people like Mark Wahlberg showing some leadership and using their influence to inspire young people.

For those who might have missed it, Ashton Kutcher gave a similarly inspiring speech at the recent Teen Choice awards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuBSRC1zpHw (first 45 seconds is usual awards stuff, but then he gets going, so stick with it :))
  10. Nan

Nan Just me

Very cool. :)
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Congrats to him.
  12. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Good on Mark!

I was 6 years out of H.S. when I went to college. I was ready, and didn't do too badly, B.A. with distinction.
  13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Good on Marky Mark. The Funky Bunch would be proud! And kudos to him for making it public.

My mum had to leave school at 15 back in the 60s (because as her mother told her she was only ever going to get married and have kids). She went back and got her Higher School Certificate, then went onto to do a degree as a librarian. Very proud of her to do that.