Mark Twain Autobiography

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DickButtonFan, Nov 26, 2010.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Has anyone heard much about what's in this? I been thinking of picking up a copy of this. Was searching articles on it to find out what could make a man want to hide this for 100 years and then another 400 but haven't found much that would be much interest to most of us. Apparently he writes something about a secretary but that doesn't seem that interesting. Anyone heard anything interesting that's in this book that might be worth reading?

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/b...ng-but-twain-has-last-say-20101114-17srw.html

2. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I haven't done any research on this yet, but as an English teacher, I am fascinated. I will definitely be buying it.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would love to read it.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think it is all just a marketing ploy. Maybe it was never published because he simply didn't care to have it published and then afterwards it was never published because it isn't really that good? Then someone came up with a marketing scheme to get this thing sold and it seems to be working.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yup, it's working on me. :shuffle:

6. castmembersonly

castmembersonly Do What You Love

I've been listening to it in audiobook....It's smart, funny, sarcastic, forward thinking, and generally what one would expect from Mr. Clemens....The hundred year moratorium is completely legitimate. MT determined to have it published later because he wanted to be able to say whatever he felt like and know that nothing could come back to bite him or his kids/grandkids in the butt.
    The "autobiography" is really an assortment of dictated random memories in no chronological order. This free form presentation is organic, like the thought process...which he spends a good amount of time examining.
    I really like the audie narrator's voice and down to earth understanding of the material and he does a lot to portray one of America's greatest writers in an honest irresistible way.

7. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Mr Twain specified the time before it would be published. Perhaps you should read an article or two before you decided to make up an answer.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

:drama: