Mark Mitchell at 92 USN

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by IceKween, May 31, 2010.

1. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Was just watching his 92 Worlds LP performance and was wowed by it. He skated a new program since USN to Strauss that was elegant, musical, and a complete program.
    So I went back to the USN program to see what went wrong. Well, I think he was undermarked, but he used his (tired) old On the Waterfront program, that IMO just didn't 'sing'. I think that if he had skated Strauss at USN he most certainly would have been placed over Paul Wylie in the LP since Paul had one problem after another in his LP. The only thing Paul had over Mark IMO was the program. It's just a shame that Mark decided to keep that OTW program. It never showed off his elegance and musicality to his best.
    Anyone think if he'd done Strauss at USN with his same content as at USN he would have easily placed over Wylie and then gone to Albertville? I wonder if Mark ever thought about it.
    I'll post both YT programs, though the quality is terrible.
    USN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCU0W3hk58&feature=related
    Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9lZ79FGN5w&feature=related

ETA: When you watch both Mitchell's and Wylie's SP and LPs at 92 USN and compare the two, it almost seems unconsionable that Mark was passed over. Wylie was a mess in both programs. And Mark only had a botched 3toe on the end of a 3flip-3toe combo. Wylie I don't think even did a combination in his LP. Just horrible judging.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

I think you got it right at the end: Mark skated better than Paul, and Paul was put ahead of Mark. I'm not sure there's much that could have helped Mark (e.g. a different program), as he already skated better than Paul. The mistake is to think people were judging based on performance rather than based on who they wanted to send to Olympics.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

So much for the poor Paul wuzrobbed in Albertville cries (which btw I never thought he was anyway). He didnt even deserve to be at the Olympics in the first place. He and his fans should be blessed with his silver medal.

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Mark's skating fit so nicely in an effervescent, waltzing program, the Strauss was perfect for his style.

And his lower back and shoulders were just :swoon:

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

He had such beautiful lines, carriage, posture and musicality. It's a shame this performance at '93 Worlds fizzled [but not as horrendous as I remembered]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=536YzmHvpb4&feature=related

I think if he had used this opportunity to break-through, he would've been held in greater stead by the USFSA. Where was he at '94 Nats?

6. judgejudy27

Mostly on the ice with his butt. :lol:

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Mark's skating was all elegance but no pizazz.

8. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Mark was an elegant skater. Yeah, the pizzazz thing bothered me, but I think he really came into his own with that Strauss waltz and the following year's Don Quixote. It brought out everything he was great at. His long legs are just wonderful, and he knew how to place them.
    I think the problem with him was he wasn't a strong jumper, and except for Strauss and Quixote his programs were rather blah. 1n 1994 he went back to a boring program to (I think) Summertime that really was a hundred steps back from his programs the previous year. In the meantime Scott Davis was landing jump after jump and had the 'perky' or pizzazz thing going. I'd rather watch Mark Mitchell skate all day then spend a minute watching Scott Davis.
    It would be interesting to see how Mitchell would have placed in Albertville had he gone clean. Again it goes back to the program, and the OTW program just wasn't a good vehicle for him. Half of it was discordant and alienating.
    Oh well, still a fan after 20 years.

9. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Same here. Mark is my fave male skater (well, tied with Kurt).

I loved loved loved Don Quixote, but THIS program is TO. DIE. FOR. :swoon: It showcases everything that's wonderful about Mark and his skating--flawless line and attention to detail, elegance, gracefulness. Just stunning.

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Non sequitur. Whether or not Paul "deserved" to be there had nothing to do with how he was judged once he was there. (For the record, though, I'm not a wuzrobber in this case. I'd love it if Paul could have won gold at the Olympics, but I can accept that he was outjumped by Viktor.)

On another note . . . how startling to remember that there was a time when Uncle Dick's commentary was concise and to the point. Those were the days. :D

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Interesting.... I thought most of the wuzrobbing for Mark centered around the fact that the third Olympic spot was given to Todd Eldredge, who sat out U.S. Nationals due to a bad back, and then he did badly at the Olympics and blamed it on his injury?

12. judgejudy27

Todd earned the U.S 3 spots in the first place though. If he felt he was healthy enough to compete he deserved to go. The team should have been Bowman, Eldredge, and Mitchell. Mitchell actually should have been the U.S Champion that year over Bowman IMHO.

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Mark Mitchell "losing" to Paul Wylie at 92 US Nationals was, for sure, once of the worst judging decisions I've ever seen at a skating competition. Never should have happened. Mitchell clearly outskated Wylie there. Wylie had 2 bad performances in Orlando.

Eldredge deserved his spot on the olympic team. He had gotten the medal at worlds the year before enabling the US to get 3 men for 92. Everyone that year wanted to see Todd go to Olympics.

Bowman was most definitely a deserving winner in Orlando. He skated a flawless LP to win the event.

14. judgejudy27

Bowman didnt do a triple axel though IIRC. That is why I would have gone with Mark. A triple axel was needed at the Games and that is the message I would have wanted to deliver to the top U.S men. Either way no way Mark should have been left off the team. Jon Jackson in his book admits that the result was fixed basically.

15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I was in Orlando and remember seeing Eldredge skate in practice. He wasn't even attempting the triple axel. In his sp runthroughs before withdrawing, Todd was doing the 3lutz/3toe and footwork into the 3loop.

Based on his bronze medal from worlds the previous year, I understand sending him to the games for the sake of the team.

I agree with jj27 that Mitchell should have won. He clearly had the most technical content, landing a 3axel in both the short and long. OTW was a more cohesive performance than Bowman's jarring music cuts.

Bowman however, did have a strong track record that season, having won Skate America over Barna (4th in Munich) and Eldredge (3rd).

What surprised me was choosing Wylie over Mitchell.

Yes, he was an elegant skater, but he was 20th in the short in Munich, before rallying back to 11th. Mark was a consistant athlete to that point, having beaten Paul a number of times. Most significantly, were his win at the 1989 Olympic Festival, and almost beating Kurt Browning at Skate America '89 for bronze.

16. judgejudy27

I guess in the end it worked out since Wylie's career would have been over in every sense of the World if he finished 3rd at those Nationals as he should have and thus missed the team (of course Eldredge was getting the bye over him as well). Even admited he never would have any professional career had Albertville never happened, he would have just done to Harvard immediately as planned originally. We would have missed out on all those great years of pro skating from Paul.

As for Mark I am not sure it would have made a big difference for him other than getting a chance to be at the Olympics. I dont think he would have medaled in Albertville, you would have seen Barna now probably getting silver and Bowman bronze. I dont think it would have made a big picture to him failing to medal at a Worlds, getting passed by Davis in the U.S in the enusing years either, or failing to ever win U.S Nationals or make the 94 Olympic team. He was always sort of destined for a career of underachievement alot like Nikidinov.

Of course that is all in hindsight.

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I like Mark's skating, great choreography and field moves, but his jumps were rather low. When I saw his 3Lz it reminded me of Kate Thompson's 3Lz circa 1983-84.

18. bardtoob

:rolleyes: Lots of :puppet: people wanted a lot for Todd, more than my stomach can take quite frankly, and after 3 Olympic berths there was never any Olympic medals and only one World Championship in a floundering field. Perhaps there was nobody better, but there was also not any reason to hold anybody else back either. Hell, Timothy Goebel was being coached by Frank Carroll post-CHJ and actually landing 3 quads in a program while Todd was well past his prime and the USFSA still wanted to dump Tim upon the return of TODD ELDREDGE :wall:

I used to get the same feeling when thinking about Lysacek post-2006 Olympics, but at least he delivered winning sets of programs according to the current rules.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Why don't you get over your resentment of Todd already? You've done this time and time again! I wish he had won an Olympic medal (and I feel the same way for Kurt). Apart from the lack of that Olympic medal, he has had a distinguished career (6 US titles, 5 Skate America Titles, 6 world medals, etc.), with many performances earning standing ovations. That's not chicken feed. quads are not everything, either. Give me balanced skating anyday!

20. bardtoob

Give me Kurt Browning (the 1st Quad and 4 World Championships), Tim Goebel (2 Types of Quads, 3 Quads in a program, and an Olympic Medal) and a gorgeously choreographed Matt Savoie over a boring Todd Eldredge. Hell, give me interesting low jumping Mark Mitchell and flutzing Galindo . . .

. . . Even when the Red Sea was parted for Eldredge, he still did not know how to walk through a la Lysacek, who is a far more balanced skater IMHO even if he is obsessed with Mediterranean masculine figures as much as Eldredge was obscessed with Anglo-Saxon noblemen.

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I have nothing against the other guys (I love Kurt), but I guess to each his own. I personally don't think Todd is boring. he has had many exciting programs (First Knight, Independence Day, The Glory, 1492, Lord of the Rings, Gettysburg ... I could go on and on)). Sadly, you don't seem to have any appreciation for them. I would appreciate it you would stop ripping him to shreds.

I did like Timmy's "An American in Paris." I still maintain that quads are not everything, and too much has been made of them at the expense of other elements in a balanced program.

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That might be true on its own, or when you compare his jumps to Bowman or Petrenko, but absolutely not true when comparing them to Wylie's which at most times barely left the ground.

Neither skaters were blessed with the jumps especially 3/3s but Mitchell could do clean jumps and combinations whereas Wylie could not even pull off a non-shaky 3toe2toe at most times.

One thing that killed Mitchell was possibly his less ambitious layout. Wylie was attempting 2 3axels and 2 3lutzes then even if he didn't have the 3loop.

23. judgejudy27

Sorry but when during Eldredge's career was there this huge opening at the top for him to take advantage of. In his younger years Petrenko and Browning ruled with an iron grip and when the skating became a splatfest at the 92 Games he was hurt. In 93 and 94 he went through his own slump which most athletes go through at some point. From 95-98 Stojko was a killer competitor, athlete, and technical skater, who rightly or wrongly was enormously respected by judges (despite his beliefs at the time), fans, skating experts, during the time and was very hard to beat. Kulik and Urmanov on their day were almost unbeatable even if they inconsistently had those days. Then in his later year prime Yagudin and prime Plushenko, nuff said.

The year a big opening did come for him to win Worlds in 1996 he took it. He didnt really have any other opportunities to be honest. His only real opportunity to win an Olympic medal was 98 and unfortunately everyone had a bad day and his came on the wrong one.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Impressive accomplishments - but if you put things into context, he couldn't even beat Stojko at most times :wall:

Balanced skating is very important but his skating is so monotonous and he never bothered to express the beat or tone of the music. He was worse than Totmanina there. (and I would put Wylie in the same category, but on a higher artistic level - Wylie had great moves and attention to detail but his programs are all the same like Eldredge)

I would take a no-world-title Bowman over Eldredge in a second. And Mitchell. And Weiss. And Savoie. And Jahnke.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  25. judgejudy27

He couldnt beat Stojko since the judges wouldnt let him barring something miracelous. At the 98 Grand Prix final Eldredge skated cleanly and the judges still placed him behind Stojko even falling on his quad attempt. At the 97 Grand Prix final Stojko landed a quad but fell on a triple axel, stepped out of a triple loop, and was still placed over a clean Eldredge. At the 95 Worlds both had a fall and no quad, and Eldredge through in his 2nd triple axel after falling on it, and he still couldnt beat Stojko. Both skated cleanly in the short program of the Olympics and Stojko was again placed ahead. It is not his fault the judges viewed Stojko so highly that even a quadless Stojko was rated higher than a clean Eldredge.

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Really? The Bach program was the same as "Mission Impossible" and "Schindler's List" and and and . . . :D I realize Paul reused a lot of the same moves, but to say his programs were all the same is to stretch the truth to the breaking point.

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

There you go.

And to be honest he had what it took to win an Olympic medal in all the Olympics he went to.

In 1992, the bronze would have been within reach or even silver, especially since everyone skated poorly.

In 1998, he could go as high as silver when Stojko was injured, Yagudin was sick and Urmanov couldn't even skate.

In 2002, if he didn't go for the quad in the sp and went for a clean sp instead with a 3/3, he would have been in medal contention and probably beat Goebel the way he did at 2001 Worlds.

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Most of his competitive programs left the same impression yes.

29. bardtoob

Todd could have if he had ever been INNOVATIVE and pushed the sport, and the 1991 World Bronze was a freakin engraved invitation to the top of the sport.

Of course, I actually like what you describe, :respec:, because it only highlights that he received far more attention than due for only doing the minimum expected.

30. judgejudy27

I dont think he was going to beat Goebel at the 2002 Games even if he skated his best. Goebel did not all 3 of his quads at the 2001 Worlds, he missed one in the LP which helped Todd take the bronze. Goebel's presentation had also improved since the 2001 Worlds. At the Nationals when he lost to Todd he only made 1 quad I believe. At the Grand Prix final that year Todd skated as well as he possibly could minus a fall on the quad attempt in the last free program and couldnt beat Goebel.

92 I would agree if he were healthy but he wasnt. The short he would have been 2nd or 3rd without falling on the double axel near the end. However I dont think he could have skated a strong enough long program to win a medal at that point in time.

98 I agree he could have easily won the silver but I think that was his only clear opportunity.