Mark Ladwig has paired up with Lindsay Davis in Florida

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

1. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

If you are referring to Gracie Gold in your "blind Item", she has one thing Mark doesn't- A Gold National medal. Can we please stop hating on this girl.

(BTW Mark never competed at the Junior level.)

As much as we don't want to admit this to ourselves, these new partnerships now forming have a 2 year shelf life. I expect a mass exodus at the end of the 2014 Nats. I just hope that after the dust settles, there is young talent out there ready to take the helm for US Pair Skating.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig have been added to USFS' International Selection Pool, along with Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan.

3. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I'm referring to the several dozen skaters over the past decade or two, from many nations / ages / backgrounds / male & female / pairs & dance included, that some fans have crowned the 'next best thing' after competitively skating (say, starting at Juvenile qualifying regionals) only 5-8, maybe 10, years and then fizzle out for several different factors.

I'm not singling out Gracie... or anyone... and I agree it's very sad that you had to assume that I was, due to the attitudes of many in this forum.

I'm just pointing out the man has been in this sport for a much longer time the majority of everyone's favorite athletes still competing. Even if some fans wouldn't have made the same decision that's fine -- but it's safe to assume he's thought very carefully about this decision from all angles. Let him skate. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Conga

Conga New Member

^^^

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Rochelle, for sharing that information about Mark's thoughtfulness. Wiki indicates that Mark was a volunteer at the 2002 Winter Olympics, so he surely has a perspective on all the hard work that volunteers perform at competitions. :) ITA with the comments in your post!

In addition (in response to carriemarie), according to Wiki, Mark, previous to forming a partnership with Amanda, competed in pairs for the University of Delaware with two other partners. He placed 5th twice at the U.S. Championships Novice level with Keri Blakinger. Apparently, when he began working with Amanda in 2002, they started out together at the senior level.

I would like to add, Rochelle, that I did not take it that you were singling out anyone in particular with your reference to "hyped" younger skaters as "future saviors." In fact, I think you bring up an important subject. There are so many skaters who don't make it to the senior level (for a variety of reasons -- sometimes they don't have a desire to continue skating, or perhaps their talent level has peaked or there are financial and personal reasons, or in the case of pairs and dance competitors, they may not be able to find another partner if they lose their original partner). And even once skaters reach seniors, there are so many obstacles to their being able to advance to the top level and compete internationally.

Gracie is one of the talented, "lucky" young skaters who has wonderful potential. She found it within herself to overcome some early challenges and to excel after a difficult first season as a Junior at the regional level. Her hard work led to the spotlight singling her out. Fortunately for Gracie, at this point at least, with a supportive team of adults around her and her own hard work, desire, and ability to manage the pressure, she may be able to continue improving (and that's the key "continue improving"). Many of those who "hype" Gracie now will be the first to "dump" on her when she inevitably goes through a rough patch or fails to meet high expectations. I'm happy for Caroline Zhang that she has found it within herself to overcome the early "hype" showered on her, and to rediscover what made her love skating, and to find the strength, toughness and courage to continue trying. I feel the same about Mao Asada. And I hope Mirai will find herself and either rediscover joy in her skating too, or gain joy in pursuing other goals, if that is what she desires.

I hope that all the currently over-analyzed young skaters who are the focus of intense scrutiny will be able to overcome that extra pressure and concentrate on developing their skating to the best of their ability (whether that means medals, Olympic participation, Olympic glory, the high of competing consistently well and achieving goals, or just the satisfaction of great effort expended).

ITA with you Rochelle, that Mark has enough experience to understand all the angles, the hard work, the sacrifices, the pitfalls and the joys of competing. Again, best of luck to Mark and Lindsay!

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  6. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I'll miss Mark & Amanda, but I'm glad he found a partner and I wish them all the best:)

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Any summer comps planned?

8. Sylvia

I haven't heard yet... perhaps Indy Challenge (Aug. 3-5) if they're ready? Since Davis/Ladwig were invited to 2012 NHK Trophy (due to the 'split couples' provision), they will be at Champs Camp in August.

ETA that the article linked at the beginning of this thread stated that "Davis and Ladwig plan to compete at the Indy Pairs Challenge Aug. 3-5..."

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  10. Sylvia

@LadwigMark tweeted earlier today:
    "Pair simulation @EllentonIce Friday at 1 pm. Lindsay [Davis] and I debut our short program! Come one--come all."

Re-posting from the Program Music/Choreographers thread in GSD:
    Cindy Stuart was mentioned in the IN article (linked in post #1 of this thread) as the choreographer with whom Davis/Ladwig planned to collaborate on their programs this season.

11. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

good choice for short program music!

12. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

the programme

Ladwig steps out from the 3S, Davis df the throw jump. The spins are out of synch and than back. I'd say for a pair that have been skating for less than a year it's very impressive (recalling Volosozhar's df on throw jumps and explanations one of the partners had to learn all the pair elements technique anew. In their case it was Volosozhar, assume here it's Davis).

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Great to see that they already have a comprehensive program in June with so little time together. I hope they get the 3twist down quickly enough to put it in the program.

14. aftershocks

As I said in the U.S. pairs thread, Mark and Lindsay pairing looks very promising. There were some obvious debut performance jitters, and for sure they will be continuing to work on improving their unison on sbs spins (the sequence started out great), and perfecting their difficulty and timing on throws and overhead lifts. They do look good together, and I love their sp music. Looking forward to seeing their fp and to seeing them steadily improve over the course of the season.

15. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yes, looks very promising. They both have some nice musicality and express the music similarly. Also looks like they have potential to generate symmetrical lines.
    Love love the entrance into the lift. Innovating already! And yeah, good music choice.

My only real concern is that even the 2Tw looks labored. The 3Tw is one of the showcase elements of elite pairs, just like a strong 3A is for men in singles. If you want to be world class you need one that makes a statement, IMHO. I hope they find a way to get some great air on that element. Everything else looks like it will eventually fall into place.

16. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty good for June and being a new pair. I really like Mark and if he is happy still competing, I wish him the best in his new partnership. Can't wait to see them again in a few months!

17. Sylvia

Quotes by Mark Ladwig and Lindsay Davis after debuting their SP in competition this weekend (from the article link posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3602331#post3602331 ):
    Ladwig tweeted on June 19:
    "I love using negative energy for positive means. Today's frown I channelled into three split triple twists. Lindsay & my first."

I believe Davis/Ladwig's next scheduled competition is Indy Challenge, August 3-5.

18. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

ok well then...cancel my comment about the 3Tw :shuffle:

19. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Just watched the new SP.

Very nice (I would say much better than I expected). Already I enjoy them more than Denney and what's his name :lol:

Who knows how far this pair can go ... new beginnings, new possibilities. They are refreshing to watch.

K.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I enjoyed that program far more than I thought I might. The program is a little open for me, but I enjoyed the music and I thought the elements looked pretty good for them to have only been together a short time.

21. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Ohhhh -- very promising, indeed! The entrance to the lift is wonderful. There is some intricate choreography in there, too. I foresee a bright future for them.

22. aftershocks

Right. ;) For a new pairing, even having a good 2Tw at this stage probably ain't that simple or easy.

Question to those with pairs experience/ knowledge: Isn't it more the timing and the difficulty of gaining enough height to complete 3 revolutions that are the biggest factors in mastering the split triple twist?

I was looking at some old vids of earlier pairs. Gosh the split double twists seemed barely to leave the ground. Wasn't it G/G who first mastered split triple twist, and then the Chinese pairs took it to new and astounding heights?

Lots of good luck to Mark and Lindsay -- U.S. pairs will be exciting to watch (and pairs should have some sparks internationally too) this season. Looks like a lot of black for men, color for women costume themes in pairs right now. :)

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the split 3twist only? Rodnina/Zaitzev used to do a 3twist but don't recall which type ...

24. aftershocks

Skating historians to the rescue ...

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

For such a short time together, Davis/Ladwig look great. :)

26. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

They look great and for such a short time together, I wish them well

27. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Lovely program. They look nice together, comfortable. Element wise, they deserve a few months before we really judge that...A few weeks isn't enough for any pair. Still, to be doing a well put together SP already is a good start. I'm just surprised they put themselves out there this early!

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

G/G actually had a quad twist in their 1987 LP.

I think split triple twists came before G/G but they weren't the same as the ones we see these days. Rodnina and partners I think did triple twists and I guess Babilonia and Gardner did too.

I think a lot of the triple twists in the 80s and before looked like assited lutz jumps more than the twist lifts we see these days where there is a bigger split and a longer delay as the man gets the lady up in the air before she starts to rotate.

I think the Chinese took the theme and ran with it but there were notable split twists from couples before them like Brasseur& Eisler who at some point included both a more traditional split twist and also a lateral twist with a different entrance, maybe an axel or toe-loop type entrance.

29. aftershocks

Thanks for the rundown, antmanb!

Amazing how the sport has evolved in so many ways and stagnated in other ways. The advancement of pairs skating (particularly with overhead lifts and jumps) since the 1960s is especially fascinating.

Thanks also for the link -- Wow GG! :swoon: :encore: Katia's rotations in the quad twist were so fast, and had to be since they apparently didn't focus on developing as much height as we see today in split and lateral twists.

30. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Any pics of them together?