Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Jul 29, 2010.
Rochette to lace up for gala
So I guess this will be the first appearance of Ms. Jennifer Robinson on the ice after the birth of her baby
I wish I could go sounds like a great line-up!!
Hmmm. Not worth the dive this year. Maybe next year.
I heard Nobunari Oda from Japan will skate after three years absence.
Nevermind. I understand now.
Here's the article about the show.
Way to go Jennifer - glad to see she is still going to skate for the public. I thought she did a good commentating job at the Oly's and her speaking voice is perfect for that kind of work. I remember an interview from Canadians (I think) many many years ago when she said that was the kind of work she wanted to do after skating. Hopefully somewhere there will be room for her to get more commentating gigs.
Any reports from tonight's show?
Beautiful pics! Thank you!
* the one with Cody by himself is hot .. and with him and Anabelle very cute..
Was anyone there who could post the program or comment on their impressions of the show? I was too tired and still sick to go.
Thank you for the pics! I know it's pretty hard to hard to keep track of who's done what when you're taking pictures, but care to share some general thoughts?
Here is the program.
2. Master of Ceremonies - Kevin Frankish
3. O' Canada - Naomi Bristow
4. Gala Stars
5. Jeffrey Buttle - World Men's Champion
6. Julie Plechko & Chris Cowell - 2010 Silver Medalist Pre-Novice Pairs of Canada
7. Kassie Costello - 2010 Pre-Novice Women's Champion of Canada
8. Garret Gosselin - 2009 Novice Men's Silver Medalist of Canada
9. Baily Carroll & Peter Gerber - 2010 4th Novice Dance Championship of Canada
10. Kate Charbonneau - 2010 6th Junior World Women Championship
11. Carolyn MacCuish & Tyler Morris - 2009 Novice Dance Chamipions of Canada
12. Tugba Karademir - 2010 Turkish Champion, Olympic and World Competitor
13. The Ice Men - Breast cancer research supporters
1. Naomi Bristow - Canada's Yodelin' Cowgirl
2. Joey Russell - 2010 5th Senior Men's Chamipionship of Canada
3. Alexa Marie Arrotta & Martin Nickel - 2010 4th Junior Dance Camipionship of Canada
4. Eri Nishimura - 2010 Junior Women's Chamipion of Canada
5. Brittany Jones & Kurtis Caskell - 2010 7th Junior World Pair Championship
6. Adriana DeSanctis - 2010 6th Senior Women's Championship of Canada
7. Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam - 2010 Junior Dance Champions of Canada, 2nd Jr. Worlds
8. Steve Cousins - 8x British Champion, World & Olympic Competitor
9. Anabelle Langlois & Cody Hay - 2nd Canadian Senior Pairs, Olympic/World Competitors
10. Nobunari Oda - Olympic & World Competitor
11. Jennifer Robinson - 6x Senior Ladies Champion of Canada, World & Olympic Ompetitor
12. Vanessa Crone & Paul Poirier - 2010 2nd Senior Dance, World/Olympic Competitors
13. Jeffrey Buttle - 3x Canadian Senior Men's Champion of Canada
14. Joannie Rochette - 2010 Olympic Women's Bronze Medalist
15. Ceremonial Cheque Presentation - Janice Skot - RVH
I wrote down as many programs as I can remember off the top of my head.
And here is my impression on the show:
The show was presented very well. I was not following the status of Canadian skaters, and pleasantly surprised by the skating quality of so many young Canadians.
The overture was "I gotta feeling" by Black Eyed Peas. This song became a staple food of iceshows, definitely.
The Ice Men (synchronized team) was really funny. It was 15 cowboys with toy guns and fake horses. The usual synchronized elements were intersected with western gun fights. I was laughing to tears. Only one survived the gun fights. At the end, everyone got up and made bows except one gentleman. He did not respond to CPR and had to be pulled out from the rink by his arms. (At the final, he had to be pulled back in by his legs. )
Tugba and Jennifer were as gracious as ever. Tugba's catch-foot spin was beautiful. Jennifer was very fit and wearing a elegant blue dress with knee-length tulle skirt. Who would think she gave a birth seven months ago!
Jeff's skating was very light and fresh. He performed his two CSOI programs, at the beginning and at the near end of the show. When Steve Cousins appeared on the ice, the audience responded with a huge welcome. I realized that he was the oldest (and perhaps longest) member of the show. His performance was mature and the audience bought it. Nobunari came out with a Japanese style costume, but had troubles with his jumps. It was a very intense program. I wonder whether this piece is his new SP or just an EX.
Joannie was the last to perform as the special guest of the show. She performed "My Immortal" beautifully. The audience gave her a huge applause.
The arena was chilly. I was happy that I brought a sweater AND a jacket with me. I noticed that some patrons wrapped themselves with blankets while young ladies at the rinkside tables wore short-length cocktail dresses only.
Thank you very much.
Jennifer Robinson's music was a song called "(Safe) In My Arms" by music artist Plumb.
It's his new SP.
And the letters on the costume might be related to his famous ancester, Nobunaga Oda.
I think Cody ought to post this prominently with his partner search info;
Girls..now's your chance
Oh I know...
That definitely is a great pic of Cody.
When I looked at it I thought "When did howdy doody turn into a HOWDY, duuuude!!"??
All the pics looked great.
The first pic of Crone and Poirier was awesome, too. In that pic they look like they have aged about 3 years...and I mean that as a compliment. Our babies are growin up!!
That they are.
Here are my pictures from the gala.
Wow! Just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing them.
Thanks for the reports about the show to those of you who attended as well!
More photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196616&l=0e3f28c65c&id=111990152120
Who's the cutie in picture 8 (as well as surrounding ones)??
She has 'Krylova-face'...only happier. You'd be able to see her smile in the rafters. I hope she can skate...judges are gonna love her.
That's Julia Plechko. She and her partner were 2nd in pre-novice last year. She does have a great presence out there.
More gorgeous pics. Thank you, Erica!
Separate names with a comma.