Mariposa Gala – Aug. 5/10

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Jul 29, 2010.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Rochette to lace up for gala

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. seabm7

seabm7 Member

So I guess this will be the first appearance of Ms. Jennifer Robinson on the ice after the birth of her baby :)
  3. lise

lise New Member

I wish I could go sounds like a great line-up!!
  4. Mariko88

Mariko88 New Member

5. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

I heard Nobunari Oda from Japan will skate after three years absence.
  6. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Nevermind. I understand now. :) :summer:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  7. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

QUOTE=museksk8r;2832273]:huh:[/QUOTE]

:rollin:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  8. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

9. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

Way to go Jennifer - glad to see she is still going to skate for the public. I thought she did a good commentating job at the Oly's and her speaking voice is perfect for that kind of work. I remember an interview from Canadians (I think) many many years ago when she said that was the kind of work she wanted to do after skating. Hopefully somewhere there will be room for her to get more commentating gigs.
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Any reports from tonight's show? :)
  11. jeb

jeb New Member

12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Beautiful pics! Thank you! :D
  13. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

great pics..

* the one with Cody by himself is hot .. and with him and Anabelle very cute..
  14. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Was anyone there who could post the program or comment on their impressions of the show? I was too tired and still sick to go.
  15. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

16. seabm7

seabm7 Member

Here is the program.

First Half
    1. Overture
    2. Master of Ceremonies - Kevin Frankish
    3. O' Canada - Naomi Bristow
    4. Gala Stars
    5. Jeffrey Buttle - World Men's Champion
    6. Julie Plechko & Chris Cowell - 2010 Silver Medalist Pre-Novice Pairs of Canada
    7. Kassie Costello - 2010 Pre-Novice Women's Champion of Canada
    8. Garret Gosselin - 2009 Novice Men's Silver Medalist of Canada
    9. Baily Carroll & Peter Gerber - 2010 4th Novice Dance Championship of Canada
    10. Kate Charbonneau - 2010 6th Junior World Women Championship
    11. Carolyn MacCuish & Tyler Morris - 2009 Novice Dance Chamipions of Canada
    12. Tugba Karademir - 2010 Turkish Champion, Olympic and World Competitor
    13. The Ice Men - Breast cancer research supporters
    14. Intermission

Second Half

1. Naomi Bristow - Canada's Yodelin' Cowgirl
    2. Joey Russell - 2010 5th Senior Men's Chamipionship of Canada
    3. Alexa Marie Arrotta & Martin Nickel - 2010 4th Junior Dance Camipionship of Canada
    4. Eri Nishimura - 2010 Junior Women's Chamipion of Canada
    5. Brittany Jones & Kurtis Caskell - 2010 7th Junior World Pair Championship
    6. Adriana DeSanctis - 2010 6th Senior Women's Championship of Canada
    7. Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam - 2010 Junior Dance Champions of Canada, 2nd Jr. Worlds
    8. Steve Cousins - 8x British Champion, World & Olympic Competitor
    9. Anabelle Langlois & Cody Hay - 2nd Canadian Senior Pairs, Olympic/World Competitors
    10. Nobunari Oda - Olympic & World Competitor
    11. Jennifer Robinson - 6x Senior Ladies Champion of Canada, World & Olympic Ompetitor
    12. Vanessa Crone & Paul Poirier - 2010 2nd Senior Dance, World/Olympic Competitors
    13. Jeffrey Buttle - 3x Canadian Senior Men's Champion of Canada
    14. Joannie Rochette - 2010 Olympic Women's Bronze Medalist
    15. Ceremonial Cheque Presentation - Janice Skot - RVH
    16. Finale
  17. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

I wrote down as many programs as I can remember off the top of my head.

18. seabm7

seabm7 Member

And here is my impression on the show:

The show was presented very well. I was not following the status of Canadian skaters, and pleasantly surprised by the skating quality of so many young Canadians.

The overture was "I gotta feeling" by Black Eyed Peas. This song became a staple food of iceshows, definitely.

The Ice Men (synchronized team) was really funny. It was 15 cowboys with toy guns and fake horses. The usual synchronized elements were intersected with western gun fights. I was laughing to tears. Only one survived the gun fights. At the end, everyone got up and made bows except one gentleman. He did not respond to CPR and had to be pulled out from the rink by his arms. :D (At the final, he had to be pulled back in by his legs. :D :D)

Tugba and Jennifer were as gracious as ever. Tugba's catch-foot spin was beautiful. Jennifer was very fit and wearing a elegant blue dress with knee-length tulle skirt. Who would think she gave a birth seven months ago!

Jeff's skating was very light and fresh. He performed his two CSOI programs, at the beginning and at the near end of the show. When Steve Cousins appeared on the ice, the audience responded with a huge welcome. I realized that he was the oldest (and perhaps longest) member of the show. His performance was mature and the audience bought it. Nobunari came out with a Japanese style costume, but had troubles with his jumps. It was a very intense program. I wonder whether this piece is his new SP or just an EX.

Joannie was the last to perform as the special guest of the show. She performed "My Immortal" beautifully. The audience gave her a huge applause.

The arena was chilly. I was happy that I brought a sweater AND a jacket with me. I noticed that some patrons wrapped themselves with blankets while young ladies at the rinkside tables wore short-length cocktail dresses only. :)
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  19. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Thank you very much.
  20. singerskates

singerskates Guest

Jennifer Robinson's music was a song called "(Safe) In My Arms" by music artist Plumb.
    Chele615 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

It's his new SP.
    And the letters on the costume might be related to his famous ancester, Nobunaga Oda.
  22. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

23. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Oh I know...
    That definitely is a great pic of Cody.
    When I looked at it I thought "When did howdy doody turn into a HOWDY, duuuude!!"??

All the pics looked great.

The first pic of Crone and Poirier was awesome, too. In that pic they look like they have aged about 3 years...and I mean that as a compliment. Our babies are growin up!!
  24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

ROTFLOL!!!

That they are. :)
  25. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

26. paskatefan

Wow! Just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing them. :D

Thanks for the reports about the show to those of you who attended as well! :encore:
  27. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

28. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

29. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

That's Julia Plechko. She and her partner were 2nd in pre-novice last year. She does have a great presence out there.
  30. paskatefan

More gorgeous pics. Thank you, Erica! :D :encore:
  31. lovelikelatte

lovelikelatte New Member

Chele615 and (deleted member) like this.
  32. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Thanks so much to everyone for the absolutely gorgeous photos!!! :D:D

I was just wondering if anyone could comment on Paul & Islam's program. I believe they skated their new FD, and I'd love to hear how it went. Thanks!
  33. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)I'd like to hear about P/I, too. ..I thought I'd heard something about their programs earlier,and I don't remember any mention of As Time Goes By. Now I can't find it , of course..but it might only have been mention of their plans to work with Haguenauer for at least one program again...

So, how were they ?
  34. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Any videos out there? Thanks for the photos!
  35. seabm7

seabm7 Member

About P/I, if I remember correctly, their program was light and traditional. I did not realize their program was their new FS.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  36. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Mmmmm.."light and traditional" . Then I'm guessing it can't have been their FS.. They made a dramatic splash last year...I would think they would want to at least equal that for their senior debut...
  37. skatingfan04

I only assumed it was their FD because the 2010/2011 music thread listed their FD music as Casablanca, and a reviewer on the previous page said that they skated to "As Time Goes By." I wasn't at the show, so I could be wrong. It might have been just an EX, or perhaps an exerpt of their FD. As for them choosing a dramatic theme this season, however, I would think that after last year's FD, they could possibly want to try a completely different style, especially since it is so important for teams to be versatile nowadays. Anyway, we'll know for sure about their FD after this weekend's Thornhill competition.:p
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  38. Tramp

Tramp Member

OH it equals it and well beyond.
  39. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

More guesses in the dark ( for me, I mean..) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification :) , I thought I'd read about their program somewhere , just couldn't remember the details ..So, if they only used the one piece, an excerpt or Ex based on the FD would make sense ( Don't they have to include more than one piece, or at least have a definite change in tempo ?)

And I totally agree about showing versatility. When i said they made a dramatic splash, I really was referring to them coming out of nowhere and rising to the upper ranks in their first year, though their programs were dramatic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them this year, and how they compare to R/H overall. Technique aside, their programs were definitely more mature than R/H's last year.

( I love the degree of lean in that lift in the photos.)
  40. skatingfan04

Sorry for misunderstanding.:D I also can't wait to see how they they compare to Ralph & Hill. I definately agree about them showing more maturity last season, and I really want to see how the two teams compare. Seeing as neither has a realistic chance at making the world team, their closest competition will probably be each other. I adore both teams, and I'm so excited to see them side by side. I really can't decribe why, but P/I have really captured my attention, and I think that if they keep going like this, they could really make something of themselves in the near future. I'm loving the tilt in the lift too, btw:smokin: I promise to review the program after I see it at Thornhill this weekend.