Mariposa Gala – Aug. 10, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Jul 28, 2012.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Buttle, Hanyu to headline at Mariposa Gala

Full Cast as of July 28, 2012:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Another article about tonight's show: http://www.simcoe.com/sports/article/1440051--mariposa-presents-an-evening-of-elegance

4. Lucy12

Lucy12 New Member

Great show tonight. Nobu Oda was amazing and got the crowd going with a gorgeous triple axel and really fun footwork to New York, New York. Yuzuru landed an effortless quad. Jeff Buttle can keep your interest with wonderful edges and interpretation. Like Kurt Browning he can perform without needing any jumps. Very few can.

5. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Great show tonight though there were lots of empty seats, which was disappointing. The ticket price and cause were excellent so it's too bad more people didn't attend.

Like Lucy12, Oda, Hanya and Buttle were all standouts but I also really enjoyed Nguyen who showed a lot of personality in his number, Semi Won who is as cute as a button, Whitley/Graham were also adorable. There was a girl from Norway, whose name I can't find in the program, who had the most gorgeous spins too. I also quite enjoyed Paul/Islam. Their program was very lyrical and pretty. Notably absent were Moore-Towers/Moscovitch. All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening of skating and I'm glad I got to be there!

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reports. I wonder if Jen Robinson was in attendance.

7. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I didn't see her, and it's unlikely as she and her husband no longer coach there. I did see Robert Tebby, Tugba Karademir, Doug Leigh and Brian Orser. Brian seemed to be enjoying his student's performances, though remained seated and did not skate it with them much to my dismay! :)

8. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Guys , people over at the Paul / Islam thread would love to know how they skated and if they looked to be in good shape . Anything to report ?

9. Lucy12

Lucy12 New Member

They looked healthy and their speed was improved. Hopefully they have an injury free season so they can show what they can do.

Didn't see Jennifer Robinson in the audience. Re coaches: Lee Barkell was also there.

10. sarsee

sarsee New Member

A very partial music list:
    - Adriana DeSanctis skated to Lady Gaga's Americano
    - Javier skated to his Lazy Song (Bruno Mars) EX
    - Nam Nguyen was added to the program (to my delightful surprise!) skated to his Smile + Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (Michael Jackson) EX. He is quite the showman and has an infectious smile!
    - Elene skated to what looked like a new exhibition number to Britney Spears' Baby One More Time. It was a nice throwback to the 90s!
    - Yuzuru skated to his new SP set to blues guitar music, Parisienne Walkways (Gary Moore). The program had a suave feel, quite the departure from his programs in previous seasons. To see a teenager skate to something like this could make for a hard sell to the judges, so it was really nice to see Hanyu put his SP out there for the second (?) time in public before GPS.
    - Also to my surprise, Nobunari Oda was added to the program. Nobunari skated to his new EX, New York, New York (Frank Sinatra) which was really well received by the audience. It was a great way for him to make a pre-GPS comeback after injury.
    - Jeff skated to Fleetwood Mac's Big Love (I loved the movement during this piece... "Ooh! Ahh!") and Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the additional reports. :)

Re: Brian Orser - I would have loved to see him "skate" the programs along with his students. He is so animated when he does that! :D

12. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great show!

13. inskate

inskate Active Member

Thank you all for the reports! :)
    I found some more reports on Twitter:
    http://togetter.com/li/353800
    (At the very bottom there are some cute photos with the skaters who participated in the show and also Brian Orser).

14. sarsee

sarsee New Member

Apologies in advance - I think most of the tweets (part of the fanaccount (not much of a report, really LOL!) are based on my tweets tweeted that night, translated to Japanese by @4T4S4A) are Hanyu/Oda centric :(

15. jeb

jeb New Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. inskate

inskate Active Member