Marina & Massimo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by OrioleBeagle, Apr 11, 2014.

1. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

About one hour ago, International Figure Skating posted on Facebook that Massimo Scali has left DSC and will joining Marina Zueva on June 1st.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

That is mean of Massimo to leave Camerlengo. I thought the two were very good friends for a long time.

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Wow,Smart move by Zueva. She isn't going down with out a fight :lol:

If anything I'm happy for the Shibs, maybe he'll bring better programs for them.

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Well he'll likely be the #2 with Marina instead of the #3 with Krylova and Carmerlengo at DSC.

6. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

This saddens me :( But, I'm sure Massimo sees it as a good step. Good get for Marina.

7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wonder who approached who.

8. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

This leads me to wonder what big team Marina is acquiring. I bet this is only the beginning of the news we'll get from Canton.

9. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I'm wondering which teams if any, will leave with Massimo. I'm probably being paranoid, but if Hubbell/Donohue leave DSC I'll be all kinds of :mad: :wuzrobbed :revenge: :lynch:

10. blancanieves

Well, Zach tweeted a few times recently about how much he'd like to train/live in Colorado. Honestly, I've always thought there was a strong synergy between him and Pasquale's work/approach to skating, so it's hard to imagine H/D leaving the group. Then again, lately it seems like nothing is out of the question.

11. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

Massimo and Zach are good friends so I guess Hubell & Donohue will leave with him.

12. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Massimo Scali has been working with both H&D and P&I, so it's speculated one of them may go with him, most likely H&D. But it will be a period of adjustment since Madison is just getting back on the ice after surgery. P&I seem stable where they are so perhaps they wouldn't want to move.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I know he's worked with Camerlengo/Krylova, but what programs has Scali primarily worked on? This may be good news for the Shibs who really need a fresh perspective from someone with an ice dancing background. It also may be good if H/D go with him. The Shibs have been in the shadows of both V/M and D/W, but maybe they need a team that's on their level to push them to be better. Some in-rink competition may prove to be good for both teams.

14. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I hope this doesn't affect Hubbell & Donohue all that much. Of the U.S. dance teams left in the post-D/W era, I think Hubbell & Donohue have the most potential and the most to offer from a skating perspective, not to mention being potentially the most marketable.

15. The Observer

The Observer New Member

H&D are adjusting to skating post-injury right now and have missed the last 2 World Championships. I'd say that C&B and The Shibutanis have the edge on them right now. And the Canadian teams of G&P and P&I have been closing in on their scores this year as well.

We won't know more about how H&D are going to do until they get to skate a complete season and go to Worlds.

16. UMBS Go Blue

On the flip side, Hubbell & Donohue remained fairly competitive all season long this past year despite the injury. Assuming Madison gets healthy again, there's no limit to what they can potentially pull off when they're back to 100%. They showed true grit in coming back to win 4CCs convincingly, despite their compromised physical state, and hopefully they will receive greater political support going forward.

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Marina is smart. I bet she has her eye on Jean-Luc!

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I think it will depend on whether they can beat C&B or The Shibs. To get more backing & political support they will need to be more competitive with their American rivals. They did do well at 4 Continents (although G&P gave them a close contest) and it has moved up their Team Envelope status with the USFS.

19. blancanieves

True. H/D climbing up the World Ranking and scoring high in SB scores despite missing Worlds and the Olympics, says a lot about how much the judges like them. I think they are the team poised to breakthrough. Marina can offer them the political clout they need and Massimo being there probably makes the idea more palatable. It'll be an interesting summer for sure.

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wonder if C&L will switch because they're Italian, although that really doesn't have much to do with anything when figure skating is such an international collaboration these days. Just curious, does anyone know where Guignard and Fabbri train?

21. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

:confused:

Yes, because C/L are Italians and Massimo Scali is also Italian, they are willing to just leave Igor. Um Okay :rofl:

22. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

It sounds a little desperate for Marina. Unless Massimo is a technical coach/technician (which I didn't think was his main role at DSC) I'm not sure how this could work. I can't see Scali taking over choreography from Zoueva any time soon. Zoueva's fingerprints will be all over the choreo of her dance pairs, I can't see that changing.

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

:confused: Guignard/Fabbri train in Milan (Agorà skating club) with barbara Fusar Poli, Cappellini/Lanotte train in Milan (Forum skating club) with Paola Mezzadri.

24. blancanieves

I think Massimo does both. Another key factor, though, could be Britta Ottoboni (physical trainer at DSC). She's tops in her field and Madison credited her with helping to manage the injury pre-surgery. She might prefer to stay at DSC to continue to work closely with Ottoboni during her recovery.

25. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Does it mean Margaglio still works with Zueva as well as Scali, or is Scali to replace Margaglio?

26. blancanieves

Italian article: http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figureskating/notizie/news/massimo-scali-ingaggiato-da-marina-zoueva

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Interesting article. A week ago the following post was made :

That poster seems to have connections to Australian skating somehow and has been at DSC as at least an observer.

So they knew a week ago Scali was leaving for Canton and in the same post wishes P&I to follow.

Tie that together with the article and and it seems reasonable to guess Marina got replacement teams V&M and D&W.

28. UMBS Go Blue

They were extremely competitive all season long despite the injury, which apparently restricted their ability to train (and, one would say, compete) at full speed. In the only direct comparison, Nationals, they were only 2 points behind the Shibs, and in the fall Grand Prix series, their scores were very close to C/B and the Shibs despite skating in the early part of the season when scores aren't as inflated and programs (across all teams) aren't as seasoned as in the end. A healthy H/D who are able to train at full speed and skate fearlessly at competitions will undoubtedly level the playing field.

29. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

I thought the same thing. I'd think she'd want to grab a new team coming right from juniors. Has Marina taken any new teams from the senior level lately? It seems she pounces on them when they're young so she can mold them easier...

Fingers crossed Hawayek and Baker stay where they are, but I agree that the Shibs would do well training with H/D. They'd push each other like VM and DW.

30. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Is Oleg Epstein still in Canton?

I guess this is how Zoueva is acquiring new teams. Going after a coach who has some strong teams who might go with him. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014