Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko's son

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Twilight1, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

So I was looking at who made the calls for Cup Of Russia this weekend for ice dance and it was Sergei Ponomarenko. I was wondering what he and Marina Klimova were up to these days and I know a lot of my favourite skaters have had children. I also know that many of them skate. I found this link to Marina and Sergei's son, Anthony. He recently won Novice Gold. If he is half as talented as his parents, he has a very bright future in ice dance. His parents are part of the reason why I love ice dance so much. :D

http://www.skatersnews.com/ThreadDe...md=20120915&content_id=38501630&vkey=ice_news

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

How adorable!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. sequins

sequins Active Member

OMG that is so cute. They skated to Cats:D

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Aww! So cute! I hope he doesn't feel the pressure of living up to his parents' excellence though. If he's that good, then he'll get that success if he wants it.

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

6. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

They are wonderful!

7. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Thanks for the link! I agree with CassAgain: they are wonderful. And so fun to see Marina Klimova waiting for them off ice with a huge smile on her face.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Oh they are good!

9. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

That was cool to see her at the end. Has she changed her hair style since 1992? Lol

10. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

It's going to be hard to avoid the pressure of expectations. For their ages, this team is really good. I watched the Icenetwork video from this event and their competitors looked a lot bigger and a lot older. They also had noticeably more ease and fluidity on their ice than the others. (And not just him. I don't know where they found Feng, but she's a pistol.) I think they did a smart thing in taking them to train on the same ice with Olympic caliber skaters, so they can see how much work they still have to do.

Browsing around Youtube, I found a video of him doing double flip. Does he also compete in singles? (The video shows him doing SBS 2 flips with a girl, but from the laughter I think it was just coincidence.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0F9IFZAlzc

11. lulu

lulu New Member

Awww. Congrats to both of them!:cheer: They look really good in the video briancoogaert posted as well.

12. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

How adorable are they! Gotta keep my eyes on them.

13. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

He looks like Sergei!

14. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't know, I see a lot of Marina in his face.

16. suki

suki New Member

WOW! I am bowled over! They are both wonderful. K&P were also one of my favorite ice dancing teams of all time. Glad that their superior skating genes did not skip a generation. And I love this program (I assume Marina or Sergei choreographed it). Age-appropriate but challenging at the same time. I can't wait to see how they develop. Anthony already has the makings of a heart throb (PSOTY 2022?)

17. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Wow very impressed with Anthony! and with the girl, she is very up to the quality of a skater at that level

Hopefully a great couple for the future!

18. lulu

lulu New Member

19. floskate

floskate Vacant

He is the image of Marina to me. And what a great little skater he is. Plus that video is awesome :lol:

20. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

Thanks for the video link. That was fun to watch. It'll be nice to hopefully watch them rise up the ranks in the years to come.

21. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! Those two are terrific! Great skating there and still so young!

I think Anthony has a bit of both of his parents. I thought of Sergei at first glance but then I could see Marina in those features too!

22. Susan M

Sarah Feng, Ponomarenko's dance partner, has qualified for US Nationals at the Novice level (first in Pacific Coast Sectionals).

I wonder if she also skates pairs.

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but notice the golden waltz music in the background

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Feng doesn't compete in pairs AFAIK, and she qualified in 4th place in Novice Ladies at Pacifics (USFS' list of qualifiers is alphabetical by discipline/event).

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How cute! They are very good. And that photo in their Cats costumes - they look like they are the cat's pajamas! How adorable!

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

You think there might be just a little pressure for him to be good at the Golden Waltz. ;)

Oh wait... the compulsory patterns will probably have disappeared by the time he hits seniors. :wuzrobbed

27. Susan M

Feng ... qualified in 4th place in Novice Ladies at Pacifics (USFS' list of qualifiers is alphabetical by discipline/event).
    Doh, :duh: I didn't even notice they were alphabetized and just assumed the numbers meant something. Anyway, thanks for the correction. I did hunt a bit and was not able to find the actual results sheets from sectionals or regionals. I found the videos at icenetwork, but not a straightforward list of results.

28. Sylvia

I posted Sectional results/video links in my blog: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/...rn-midwestern-pacific-coast-sectionals-links/ (click on the Regionals link in the navigation bar up top for Regionals results/video links)

29. lulu

lulu New Member

30. Sylvia

No, that's a different Linda Leaver (judge from Utah).

ETA other children of famous skaters who have qualified for U.S. Nationals:
    Katia Shpilband in Junior Ladies (daughter of Igor Shpilband & his ex-wife Veronica Pershina whose pair partner was Marat Akbarov)
    Daniel Petrenko in Novice Men (son of Vladimir Petrenko, younger brother of Viktor)
    Gabriella Marvaldi in Intermediate Pairs (daughter of Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval)
    Maxim Naumov in Juvenile Boys (son of Evgenia Shishkova & Maxim Naumov)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012