Marilyn, Brigitte....Gaga?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, May 10, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

We in the Western world do seem to have a fascination with certain iconic blonds. Marilyn Monroe and Brigitte Bardot are certainly have iconic status imo. Who would you include?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Madonna?
    Britney? (Though I wonder if she'll stand the test of time. I think Madonna will...)

(I don't know who Brigitte Bardot is, but if she's Marilyn Monroe's contemporary, that could explain why)

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think the most recent person who fits the mold of bombshell actress is Angelina Jolie but she isn't a blonde.

The names mentioned as coming before were thought of as being so beautiful. I am not sure Madonna fits that category. She is pretty and there is nothing offensive about her looks but she has never been famous for her good looks. Britney has been known for her looks but they don't stand out now that she is out of puberty and she has no talent to fall back on. We all know she can't sing and now she doesn't even dance.

4. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

If you're looking for blonde bombshells then I agree re Marylin and BB.
    This is not what Gaga is famous for and I doubt she'll be around anymore in a couple of years.
    I wouldn't call Madonna a bombshell.
    Spears is lacking class to ever be put in the same category with MM and BB (or Madonna for that matter).

5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Are you looking for "bombshell" or "iconic blonde"?

In response to the first post, Grace Kelly came to my mind. ;)

emason and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Jean Harlow…..the first iconic blonde.

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Charlize Theron

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In the past many women seem to have chosen a single look with features that became their signatures, which I think helped turn them into icons.

Madonna has changed all that - by regularly transforming her appearance (including hair colour) and stage persona, she may not have an iconic look but may still be considered iconic, because of her career success and longevity and status as a trendsetter.

In other words, I don't imagine too many women nowadays will stick to a look long enough to have the same enduring presence as Marilyn or Elizabeth Taylor.

Totally agree that Lady Gaga likely won't last btw - she might continue to make music and perform, but it feels like her megastar status is already waning.

Also, if we are talking talent, I'm not sure Marilyn or Brigitte belong on the list any more than Britney.

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

IMO the person whose picture needs to be next to the definition of blonde bombshell is Jayne Mansfield. (If you don't know who she is, she was Mariska Hargitay's mother.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well, neither are Marilyn and Madonna, or anyone woman with "white-blonde" hair for that matter.

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was thinking about iconic blond more than bombshell and I forgot about Grace. Love her.:cool: Gaga made me think of it but it was Paris Hilton who (a few years ago) said she believed she is/was an iconic blonde and that every generation seems to have their own icon. I can't put Paris in that group.

12. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Don't forget Betty Grable prior to Marilyn - the blonde pinup queen of the 1940's (with Rita Hayworth as the redhead and Jane Russell as the brunette).

13. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Gwen Stefani has old Hollywood, blonde bombshell looks, but I don't know about her being iconic.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Brad Pitt :grope:

Urban Legend. Britney was a better vocalist at ten years of age than people twice her age on American Idol:

Britney Singing Live On Star Search

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

The original Blonde Bombshell. I'm a huge Harlow fan.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

17. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

scarlett johansson is a throwback in classic blonde bombshell looks

18. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

20. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Damn Straight. No one pulled it off quite like Jean Harlow.

(and now I've got Kim Carne's Bette Davis Eyes going through my head with the opening line, "Her hair is Harlow gold." :lol: )

ETA: Watching that video, it's got to be one of the top 80s cheesiest videos of all time :rofl:

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  21. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Pfeiffer never had the body to be a bombshell. I think of a curvy woman.

Gaga has more curves than Michelle and Gaga is a skinny thing.

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just looked up some information on Jayne Mansfield. Such a horrible accident. Her daughter is the only one I know, did any of the others go on to be famous? I hope they were all too young to remember anything. :(

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thread drift!! I love that song. :) Random factoid - before her big breakout, Kim Carnes was a back up singer for David Cassidy, who in his day played to sold out stadiums around the world.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I certainly grew up in the era of blonde bombshells...and being a brunette was tough in the late 50-s and 60s! :lol: But seriously, I always think of the term "blonde bombshell" as someone who is blonde and beautiful, yes, but also a little sexually dangerous. In this case, Grace Kelly doesn't fit because she was such a lady. Kim Novak was too housewifey (too me anyway.) Lana Turner does fit the mold, as does Jayne Mansfield. Madonna is too hard and shrewish, as is Gaga. They have the sex going but not the femininity.

But give me Mae West any old day. The woman was a legend and brilliant. She wrote all her own material and was a vegetarian (later in life.) Of all the women above, if I could be any of them, I'd be Mae. Marilyn and Jayne and some others were emotionally scarred and somewhat victims. Mae was her on take charge woman and lived on her own terms, successfully.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, no one here has mentioned Betty Grable, yet another iconic blonde.

28. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Valuvsmk did in post 12.:)

I think, without the weirdness and drugs etc..., Anna Nicole Smith could have been considered an iconic blonde bombshell. She was gorgeous.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Gaga and Madonna don't belong on this list at all.

30. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Agreed. Granted Madonna has had her moments, but overall, no.