March Madness begins..............

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Vash01, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did not see a thread about the NCAA's March Madness. So here it is.

Two of my alma maters (Kansas State and Marquette) made it to the field of 68. Neither is likely to make it very deep into the tournament. Dick Vitale picked Indiana and Louisville in the championship game, with Louisville winning.

I am also watching Arizona, although I have no connection with that school, other than that I live in Arizona.

It's going to be fun regardless.

How many of you are betting on the tournament? I never do; I just like to keep my predictions to myself, and for a good reason. I am no Dick Vitale.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Bumping the thread up because Thursday we will have some excitement, I think.

President Obama has picked Indiana to win the NCAA title.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Most of my office picked Pittsburgh to beat Wichita State (my alma mater) in the first round for the bracket pool. Wichita is actually winning and I'm enjoying being mean and laughing at them.

4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

My VCU Rams cried HAVOC and beat Akron by 46 points. :eek:

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The biggest upset of the day was Harvard (#14) beating New Mexico (#3) in the NCAA

In the NIT, the shocker was Kentucky losing in the first round.

One of my alma maters (Marquette) just squeaked by (1 pt win) in the first round.

6. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

My VCU Rams got spanked today by Michigan. They still had a great first season in the Atlantic 10. More HAVOC next year!

7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

My alma mater Kansas State lost in the first round to an unknown small school La Salle by 2 points. So at least 25% of my interest is gone. I think Marquette is still alive. The rest of the tournament should still be interesting.

March madness and the NFL playoffs are exciting to watch because of the unpredictability of it. I hate sitting through 7 games every series in the NBA, NHL and MLB (although MLB has a 5-game first round). I don't even pay attention to the first two games in those 3 pro leagues. In the NCAA March madness, it's exciting from day one.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Watching MD AL in the NIT.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The Jayhawks are still in it but this year they have long periods of little or no offense. If Michigan is hitting they are in deep trouble. I'm proud of them regardless of what happens.
    My cousin, who graduated from LaSalle, is oh-so-happy.

10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Sorry for the double post---I forgot about Wichita State---I took several classes there and am thrilled they made the Sweet Sixteen.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Florida Gulf Coast U. seems to be this year's Cinderella but you can't count out LaSalle. I had never heard of that school until they beat mine (KSU)

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Well, La Salle lost last night, so the only Cinderella left is FGCU, and that will lose to Florida.

#1 Indiana lost last night. Syracuse looks like a Final Four/Championship game team.

Arizona lost last night, but Marquette and Kansas are still there. All are perennial strong teams, but I don't see Marquette beating Ohio state in the Elite 8. Kansas may win tonight to make the Elite 8.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Kansas out. Michigan staged a remarkable comeback.

Marquette plays Syracuse, not Ohio State. OHio State plays Wichita State. Go shockers!

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

My bad. You are correct. Go Marquette and Wichita State!

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Go wheat! Buckeyes are coming back.

Woohoo Shockers in Final Four!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  16. klassysue

klassysue Member

Yay Shockers!!!

17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think the tournament has been pretty entertaining this year, but part of it is that there are no really dominant teams or conferences. In college football, you have the SEC steamrolling everyone, but it seems pretty open in basketball. I don't know if that means there's less really great teams, but I think it makes for an entertaining tournament.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Looking forward to next weekend and the final 4 game for WSU. Not to mention, it makes for a nice change of pace to have everyone talk to me about my undergrad uni and ask questions about it, instead of 'you went to school WHERE?' The power of March madness ;).

19. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I am so happy right now. Michigan to the Final Four!

20. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Michigan vs Syracuse next Saturday - where is TG in this thread??? :)

21. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

poor Kevin Ware. :(

22. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I was watching Louisville game and saw Ware's injury. Just horrible. Wishing him a good recovery and pray he is resting well tonight. :(

23. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

((((Kevin Ware)))) That's a horrible injury.

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Poor Ware. That is the worst basketball injury I have ever seen. I wondered if there was any danger of him bleeding out with a break that bad and an open wound?? Also how much would adrenaline helped with the pain with a break that bad? I think Ware is one brave, young man.

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I was wondering that too . . .how did he not bleed out?

26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

RE: Kevin Ware's injury -- I have never been so glad that I have a very small, very low resolution TV with not-great off-air reception. :yikes: I couldn't really see anything, except that he was on the ground, but the reactions of his teammates, coach, and even the Duke contingent were bad enough. :( I just saw a report that he was up walking around on crutches today :respec: and I hope he makes a complete recovery and can play again.

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Unless he had serious damage to a major artery, I guess it's not surprising that the blood loss was manageable even with a gruesome-looking injury - I mean, compound fractures aren't that much of a rarity, and I don't believe that's normally a risk. Also, Ware got immediate medical attention, and if the situation were critical I'm sure he'd have been taken to a hospital even faster.

I'm glad that it's not expected to be career-ending. When the names that come up in the context of a sports injury include Joe Theismann and Napoleon McCallum, you pretty much fear the worst.

28. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

There's also not a lot of blood flow in the lower leg. That's why fractures in that area take a (relatively) long time to heal. When I broke the tibia in my left leg a few years ago (closed fracture, no broken skin), I was told 12 weeks, with the potential to start weight-bearing at 6 weeks. For me, it was 9 weeks on crutches and full healing took quite a bit longer. But I also discovered during that time that I had a Vitamin D deficiency, which may have had something to do with it.

I couldn't skate for 6 months but it took longer than that to be able to do turns on my left foot. My doctor was cautious.

Wishing Kevin Ware a speedy and full recovery and hope he can get back on the court in time to play next season! And I hope he's got some strong pain meds for the trip to Atlanta with the team.

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

30. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

Watching an interview with Kevin Ware as he talks about what happened in the game where he broke his leg. He said it didn't really hurt cause he was in shock. He was remarkably composed, until the end of the interview when he teared up talking about his teammates. Good luck to him - I hope he recovers completely and hope he doesn't become one of those players whose career is filled with injury after injury. I'm sure you can find the interview on ESPN's website.