Mao News !

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Strawberry301, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Strawberry301

Strawberry301 Banned Member

From several articles I read:

Mao will look for a new coach who can train with her in Japan. She may be looking for a coach who specializes in techniques.

Mao will try to add more varieties of jumps next season, and will train for 3-3 combos.

Mao would like to skate to a softer music next season.

TT may remain as an "advisor" for the team Mao until Sochi as TT has great connections in Russia.

Japanese Federation will submit a request to revise the SP requirements to include a 3A as an option (2A or 3A as men's SP requirements), which would broaden Mao's options.

Japanese Federation will also submit a request for Mao to be listed in the Guinness World Records as the first female skater to complete three 3As in one competition.

ETA:
    Mao's home town, Nagoya, is considering having a parade to honor her accomplishment.

New pairs team from Japan. This is so cute!
    Mao & Dai tris a SBS 2A and a throw jump and learns pair spins from the Chinese team.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NsTXQTt5nc

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

All good news! Thank you for sharing!

:cheer2:

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Sounds good! :)

Hey, this isn't April Fool's is it....??

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I hope not!

:confused:

5. jeniez

jeniez New Member

Mao is also going to take up ballet.

I'm liking the direction she's heading for next season. Hopefully she can find a coach that's suitable for her and will bring out all her best potentials.

6. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Good news indeed, there're many talented coaches in Japan, she'll be in good hand!

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Mao has obviously taken ballet before, especially when she trained in Moscow with TAT. But more ballet never hurt anyone. Hope all of the above is true.

The video is cute!

8. sarah009

sarah009 Member

Mao will be doing the following shows.

3 April - Nagoya Figure Skating Festival

Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Akiko Suzuki, Takahiko Kozuka, Kanako Murakami, Yuzuru Hanyu, etc.

4-5 April - Diamond Ice

Stephane Lambiel:cheer:, Tomas Verner, Yuko Kavaguci and Alexander Smirnov, Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat, Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Miki Ando, Akiko Suzuki, Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda, Kanako Murakami, Haruka Imai, Yuzuru Hanyu, Cathy Reed and Chris Reed, etc.

9-11, 17-18 April - Stars on Ice Japan Tour

Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phaneuf, Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao, Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Miki Ando, Nobunari Oda, Takahiko Kozuka, Shizuka Arakawa, Akiko Suzuki, etc.

9. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

Wow, pair spins are very hard :popcorn:

10. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Brilliant news, thanks!

11. IceKween

IceKween New Member

I wonder why Mao wasn't working on the 3/3 for the Olympic season? Chasing the 3axel might get her in the Guinness Book of Records, but so is the guy who can put 100 hot dogs in his mouth at the same time. Hopefully she's realized that landing 3 3axels still won't get her close to Yuna if she's lacking the lutz, and a 3/3.

12. ibreakhearts66

ibreakhearts66 New Member

I'm figuring it's because she couldn't perform a 3/3 with the same degree of success as she could the 3axel. The 3axels were her only chance of getting close to Yuna if she didn't have a 3/3.

13. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

I love the Chinese pairs, but perhaps it's not the best idea to learn pairs spins from them? :D

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Hasn't she said she is going to bring back the 3/3?

I would think it was virtually impossible to train the 3/3 while focusing on the 3 triple axels.

And she deserves to be acknowledges as the first women to have 3 3As in competition ratified. When men have accomplished similar feats (i.e. Browning with the quad, Stoijko with the quad/triple) it's been considered significant and commentators have mentioned it forever after.

However it seems like little attention has been given to Mao's 'first' in the sport. The Canadian commentators didn't even mention it and it was a significant and notable achievement.

15. julesgotheblues

julesgotheblues New Member

The news sounds good-- thank you for sharing! I'm glad that she's planning to improve artistically as well, that will be very helpful.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To stand out of the crowd? Quite a few ladies can do 3-3 now, perhaps 10 ladies, but she is currently the only one having triple Axel. And the only one lady ever having 3 at the Olympics. It may not be the Guinness Book of Records, but to have "the first one ever" feeling.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This is all good news !

She doesn't need a 3/3 if she doesn't have a Lutz or a Salchow.
    She has 4 different types of triples. Her 3/3 were often underrotated.
    If she repeats the 3A and the 3F (to get more points), she is more likely to have +Goe on a solo 3Loop, than a 3F/3L. And with such a program, she would have had four Axel type jump. For someone who wants more variety, it's not a good idea !

3A
    3A/2T
    3F/3L
    3F/2L/2L
    2A
    3T
    2A

18. missflick

missflick New Member

I wish I could attend the Japan SOI.

19. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Wouldn't having more flexible hip hurt Mao?? Most of the skaters who have ballet background or flexibilily, always struggle with jumps because of the unstable hip.

20. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

At this point, Mao deosn't really need the salcow. But she needs the Lutz and 3+3 back if she wants to challenge to break Yuna score. Salcow is only 0.5 more than toeloop.

If Mao does:
    3A
    3F+3T
    2A+3T
    x3Lo
    x3F+2Lo+2Lo
    x3Lz
    x2A

It will be pretty competitive. She was able to do 2A+3T and 3F+3T back in two seasons ago. I don't know why she doesn't keep using it.

21. tianrushui

tianrushui New Member

Mao said that she still trains 33 this season but since she can't do 2 3As and 33 in one program, she takes 33 out. I always think that Mao's original plan for this season is 2 3As and one 33 because in JO she did solo salcow instead of loop. If she didn't plan to add 33 in her program, it's meaningless for her to use salcow instead of loop. But things didn't go well at the beginning of this season, she then became focusing on 3A.

22. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think that is pretty much a leap. If trained properly, one doesn't (or shouldn't) have an adverse affect on the other.

I don't understand why the Japanese federation is asking what they are asking. Why do they want it to be a "requirement" option? I would think they would want it to have a base value (and maybe their request accomplishes that), but I just don't understand.They are certainly not going to make it a requirement in the short program.

Could someone please explain? Thanks.

23. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Uhm. I hope I'm understing correctly what you asking and not answering something obvious you already know.
    Anyway.

Right now 2A is a requirement in the ladies SP. But you cannot do a 3A instead. So, in order to jump a 3A, you have to move it to either the triple jump out of steps, or to the combination, which is what Asada does.

Being able to perform a 3A in the SP instead of a 2A would allow Asada to: either increase her base value if she decides to go for a 3-3 too, or simply mantain the current base value (more or less) putting in another combination, but at the same time cutting risks (as she won't have to add a jump after the 3A).

-- Apparently, 3A out of steps is hard for Asada. She tried that with Arutunian, and (well, she was also growing) that's when she started to struggle with it.

24. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It would be a pleasure. Currently, ladies are required to perform 3 jumping passes in a short program - a double axel, a triple by itself, and another triple in combination.

Mao can do a triple axel, but to satisfy the requirement, she must also do a double axel. Mao doesn't want to do 2 axels. She wants to be able to do a triple axel, another type of triple, and a combination. The Japanese federation is asking that the axel requirement be satisfied by either a double or triple.

25. cazzer

cazzer New Member

Also, if she does a triple axel to fulfill the axel requirement, and gets downgrded to a double, she still meets the requirement and doesn't lose an element.

26. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Cohen and Arakawa didn't really have hip problems, despite having back injuries.

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thanks y'all. Now I understand. Interesting. Now I can cross off one bit of confusion from my foggy mind.

28. bookworm

bookworm New Member

The video has been removed due to copyright issues. Are they any good as a pairs team?

29. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

My no-technik summary:

Practiced pair spin with Jian Tong and neither could spin for dear life. Mao fell out of the camel position right away twice, and Dai actually did a few revolutions of shaky pair camel spin with Jian.
    A failed attempt at a throw during practice but a beautiful throw waltz jump with nice height and flow in exhibition.
    SBS 2 axel Mao took off a little after Daisuke, but since Dai jumped higher they landed about the same time.

30. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

No, but it was hilarious and really funny:lol::lol:
    daisuke doesn't have any height to be a pair skater. Jian Tong could probably twist and lift him as easy as Pang:p