Mao etc exhibited the training to the media before the opening of the season.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Nikkan sports” in Japan.
    Translation into English.
    August 8th, 2010 JST.

At the Chukyo University Aurora Arena in Toyota City in Aichi prefecture in August 8th, Japan Skating Federation (JSF) exhibited the summer training camp for "Tokubetsu Kyouka Sennshu" or "the player to aim at strengthening a skill specially" in Japan to the media.
    Mao Asada (19, Chukyo University) who won the championship in the Worlds in March exhibited for the first time the training with Hiroshi Nagakubo who had become the coach of jumps for Mao officially from this June.
    She was training repeatedly thoroughly the jump being redoing from the beginning. As for three kinds of jumps which contain the triple-Axel which is her main weapon, she jumped more than 30 times in total.
    Like as Nagakubo coach said, "It became pretty good, but there is not stability yet", the number of the jumps which succeeded on this day was about 10 times below the half of all jumps.
    As for the program of this season, Asada said, "I can not train yet in its entirely because the jump does not complete".
    Main coach who watches the whole, too, hasn't been decided yet.
    Aiming at the opening of the season in October, the desperate fight of the Worlds Champion continues.

The photo:
    Photography : by Takahito Shimizu
    Mao Asada and Kanako Murakami who participated to the summer training camp of JSF.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/photonews_nsInc_f-sp-tp0-20100808-663620.html

The article:
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20100808-663620.html

2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting. :)

3. NMURA

NMURA Member

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Great to see Mao's practicing the Lutz again!

:cheer2:

And thanks for the translation, Akira Andrea!

5. NMURA

NMURA Member

Asada to try the hardest ever programs for women.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20100808-OHT1T00291.htm

In the long program, she will include two 3 axels plus two different 3/3 combs, and bring back the lutz. In the short program, a 3 axel and a 3/3 are also planned. Asada's technical coach Nagakubo says "we will include six different triples, and if possible, I want her to try the quad" Since they are retuning the jumps from scratch, it will take until late August to begin training with new programs.

6. MCC

MCC New Member

hmm.. anyway.. good luck, Asada!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Yes, but in this article and in the other articles and clips, Mao repeatedly says she doesn't want to hurry or she will try not to hurry. She says she hopes she will peak and show her best at Tokyo Worlds.

8. miki88

miki88 New Member

You're right. That's why I felt this article was a bit strange cause it kinda contradicted how Mao and Nakagubo both expressed that they shouldn't rush. Maybe the "ultimate" program is referring to the one they are hoping to aim for Sochi, because I feel it's a bit too much to accomplish for next season. I do think that aiming to complete all six triples is a good idea.

9. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in Sankei Sports in Japan.
    Mao is preparing "a program which looks as if it is one for the god"! (1/2) August 9th, 2010 JST.

By Haruka Sato
    In the summer training camp of JSF which was held at Chukyo University in Toyota City, Aichi prefecture in August 8th, Mao Asada (19, Chukyo University) who was won the silver medal in the Vancouver Olympics in February this year exhibited to the media her training.
    For Mao Asada who is training specially under Hiroshi Nagakubo (63) of the jump coach, it turned out that a special program is being provided.
    It is so different dimension as for the level of difficulty that it is "a program which looks as if it is one for the god". Namely, while summing up together the short program and the free skating, she challenges the two consecutive triple jump combination jumps three times and the triple Axel jumps three times.

The photo 1:
    Mao repeats the training of jump. Aiming at Sochi Olympics, she is challenging the program which is very high as for the level of difficulty.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/100809/spm1008090506003-p1.htm

The photo 2:
    Mao repeats the training of jump. Aiming at Sochi Olympics, she is challenging the program which is very high as for the level of difficulty.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/100809/spm1008090506003-p2.htm

The photo 3:
    Mao is tackling a new program by the three-legged race with Nagakubo of the jump coach.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/100809/spm1008090506003-p3.htm

The article:
    Mao is preparing "a program which looks as if it is one for the god"! (1/2) http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/100809/spm1008090506003-n1.htm

10. jaws12345

jaws12345 Banned Member

11. wnstnluv

wnstnluv New Member

Mao's lutz is looking better! Maybe she should nix searching for a coach and just make Mr. Nagakubo her primary coach. It looks like it's working out pretty well. :)

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I would be really surprised if Mao executes all those jumps. A 3A and 3/3 in the SP would be beyond amazing - and is perhaps possible.

But 2 3A and five other triples in the LP seems unlikely, especially is she wants to include a 3/3 in the long as well. And a quad? Don't think so.

13. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in Sankei Sports in Japan.
    Mao is preparing "a program which looks as if it is one for the god"! (2/2)
    August 9th, 2010 JST.

By Haruka Sato
    Mao's determined spirit burned on the rink where is unrelated to a heat wave. To my surprise, from the triple Axel which she is good at to Lutz which she is poor at while removing the ban of after an interval of 2 seasons, the number of the jumps that she attempted is about 40 jumps.
    While the other players exhibit the program to the music for the free skating, only Mao has been immersed herself in the jump intensive training without music.

Asada said, "The aim of this season is to reform my jump. It is important also to tune myself up for the competition, but I intend to achieve it without being impatient because I think that now is the time when I can change myself most".
    Under Nagakubo coach whom she asks for coaching from June, she applies the most of the training for jumps and is sweating for the curing of a bad habit and overcoming of a weak point.

On the new season where she makes a start for the Sochi Olympics at, a new program which is able to say that it is the highest level as for the difficulty on the history of figure skating of Ladies is being provided to Mao.
    As for the two consecutive triple jump combination, it is planned so as to perform three attempts in all competition, such as one attempt in SP and two attempts in FS.

As for the triple Axel which she made three attempts succeed in the Olympics and was recognized as the record by Guinness, she aims at raising the level of the difficulty by putting one of them in the second half of the program of FS so that the base value becomes one point one times.
    Including Lutz and Salchow which were removing from the program until last season, too, it has already been decided to include six kinds of all of jumps.

In the case of the expected jump composition, while getting also the following wind by the rule revision, the score is raised 11.5 points also from last season in the base value only.
    Being able to expect the drastic adding point if succeeding, we will be able to see the update of the successive highest point (228.56) on the history which Yu-Na Kim of her rival recorded in Vancouver Olympics.

"I would like to make her break out of the frame. I would like to make her jump even the quadruple jump if saying clearly", said Nagakubo with smiling.
    While allotting the tears of Vancouver Olympics as bread, Mao who reaches 20 years old in September is keeping asking further evolution.

The article:
    Mao is preparing "a program which looks as if it is one for the god"! (2/2) http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/100809/spm1008090506003-n2.htm

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  14. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Her flutz does not look fixed at all, though she is trying to make it look less obvious in the clip. There isn't much time until start of GP series and chances of her fixing the problem looks very slim.

15. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

From what I have seen and heard, Mao sounds like she doesn't expect good results from the beginning of GP series since she is now on the way to reconstructing her whole jump arsenals. Right now she is mainly consentrating on her jumps so it seems that the start of working on her new programs will be late. But she doesn't want to get upset about the delay and she wants to take time.

Her goal of the upcoming season is Tokyo Worlds and she wants to peak and show her best there. And we all know that Mao is always a very slow starter.(Look at the last season for instance.)

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I thought Mao had gotten the lutz back under TT eventhough she wasn't confident enough on it to do it in actual competitions. Yeah, judging from the clip, the lutz/flutz doesn't look promising, but it was only one brief clip so who knows.

It really is too bad Mao's coach when whe was coming up let get get away with flawed techniques and now she has to relearn them. Best of luck to her.

17. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I don't think Mao is worry about not defending her World title or anything. Her main goals is for the Gold for in Sochi and starting all her jumps with new technique going to take at least 3-4 years to master. Either way it will be good for her.

18. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I dunno, if you take a look at this

http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1079800.gif

it seems as if it's the right edge

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with being "happy." I want Mao to succeed in fixing the edge, but sugarcoating things is unproductive. With that said, the edge on the lutz in that clip looks great, I don't think anything would be called.

21. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Delete..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  22. floskate

floskate Vacant

Thanks for the link burntBREAD. A true lutz take off but she's a bit off in the air and of course underrotated hence the swinging leg. But an outside edge is an outside edge. Some people seem to forget that she has infact already been credited with a true lutz in the 2008-09 season.

All power to the girl. To re-work all your jumps at the peak of your career is RISKY stuff but this is Mao. Say what you like about her, she sure does it her way and I admire her for her hard work, determination to be the very best skater that she can be and above all, not be afraid to fail in the short term in order to succeed later on. That takes a lot of maturity and personal insight to deal with, especially when your every move on the ice is scrutinised by the ever present Japanese media.

23. WayCon

WayCon New Member

Mao's Lutz in the gif file posted by burntBREAD looks to me to be 100% perfect, as in Miki Ando or Joannie Rochette perfect. By the way I think that shot is the same we see in the second youtube link posted by NMURA (starting about minute 1:03). I played that vid in very slow, slow motion, and, looking between the writing, I saw--bing--a very good Lutz and very high.

Consistency and performance under pressure are the next issues for Mao to address in her Lutz.

24. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Looking at the clip, I see a déjà vu of 2008 when Tarasova proudly declared to the world that Asada has fixed the lutz. We all know how that ended.

I sincerely hope this is not a mere sugar coating and she corrects her lutz, but don't think disclosing to the media before achieving a legitimate progress will do her any good.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  25. tianrushui

tianrushui New Member

The truth is during 08-09 season, Mao never got an "e" call. You could say her lutz was not stable, but an outside edge is an outside edge.
    BTW. I really don't understand why you bother to appear in Mao threads. Why bother to spend time on someone you doesn't like?

26. NMURA

NMURA Member

Probably what RumbleFish saw as a "flutz" is actually a flip. Sometimes they are confusing but the edges are clearly different.

27. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I don't think it's from the 2nd youtube link posted by NMURA. (but currently deleted by the uploader.)
    Frame by frame, I captured the 2nd 2Lz not blocked by subtitles because I couldn't sure whether the jump is a lutz or flutz.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9120/20100808lutz.png

Way better as it was but hard to say it is clean correct take-off. For me, the final take-off edge in the picture is not that different with her edge of flip.

Beside that, the toe is not picking an ice at all. With a full blade, pre-rotation more than 1/4 and forward jump it is.

Of course, it's just a practice clip, I'm not a TP, no slo-mo to judge the take-off edge and You/I need not to conclude the jump this early. I know them very well. It's just my opinion.

And one thing clear is she can do Lz from time to time.

28. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Mao and her coach said that she's re-working on her jumps techniques. They never said that her jumps were fixed, and she's ready to go. Why can't we be satisfied with the fact that she's working very hard to fix her jumps?

29. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

:lol: After you.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2677427&postcount=2

30. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Glad that Mao is working on a lutz, but she apparently fixed it in summer of 2008, only for the flutz to come back in Jan 2009! Hopefully this won't be the case again!

Is she planning a 3lutz in the SP too? Glad she's going for two different 3+3's in the LP this season (like in 08) but i'm not completely happy with the idea of two 3A's in the LP too :wall: