Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

New article entitled 'Mao certain to face massive pressure if she tries to retire'. Reads:-

Personally, I think Mao should be just left alone to make up her own mind in her own time. There is more to life than money and she should certainly not be pressured in to staying on simply because others will lose out financially.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think so too Maofan7. She has been skating a long time, and for some people, whilst they love skating, is not the only thing they want to do forever. I can understand that the Japanese public would love to see her continue as she is one whom they can depend on to medal. But with the depth in the Japanese field, I am sure sooner or later, another young talented skater will fill the gap.

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Mao has the strength and independence of mind to make and stick to her own decisions. If she decides to quit competing and loses sponsors, I'm sure she'll be just fine. She must have enough money to quit competing if she wants to, and she will certainly be a headliner in shows.

4. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Can you imagine the feeling of being in bondage to something you love? Mao is a competitor who seems to love to skate AND compete. Having to do it when you dont want too though would be tough. I hope that even if she does not retire that she at least takes a season away from competition. If she does that, her fame will quadruple when she returns lol. Everyone deserves a break though; especially my Mao!

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

10 years is such a long time to be at the top of a sport like skating, I agree she has given more than can be expected of an athlete, and should retire when she is ready.

I have a question about 'singlehandedly' carrying the sport in the country: Is Japan like the US where ladies is much more popular to the casual fan? I get the impression Daisuke and Yuzuru are hugely popular too, is Mao far more recognized then they are?

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Mao should do whatever she feels is best for her,
    I appreciate the "societal expectations" in the Japanese culture.
    However, if her heart is no longer in skating; the result would likely not meet what the country "desires" if she were to continue.

7. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I doubt Mao will lose sponsors should she retire. She's just too popular. I'm sure she'll keep right on endorsing products, and performing in shows. I hope she decides to do what is best for her and not allow anyone to influence her. She's had a great career. Personally I hope she continues-but if she doesn't want to that's fine too.

8. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

It's too bad that that the Japanese Jr skaters aren't stronger and couldn't realistically come close to filling the void if Mao was to leave. She's been at the top for quite a while now, and she must feel some extra pressure being a Japanese icon. She also seems so heavily reliant on such a difficult jump (3A), which has to add stress and perhaps some extra strain on the body. I think if she had a relatively reliable 3-3 instead, things might be simpler. Aside from her jumping technique, after being an Olympic gold threat for 2 quadrenniums and having multiple world titles, retirement is understandable even if she's not old for a ladies skater. She of course has achieved everything except Olympic gold (she still may win next year, you never know). But it will be difficult for a lot of the sponsors/fans/etc to accept, especially considering there is nobody close to her level yet coming up behind her.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013