Mao Asada will not compete in 2014-15 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 19, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the Japan news thread:
    Asada will headline 'The Ice' tour, July 19-27 - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-in-Japan-Nagano-Aichi-amp-Osaka-(July-19-27)

Is she scheduled to perform in any other shows before or after The Ice?

ETA that Asada is scheduled to perform in Denis Ten's shows in Kazakhstan, May 29-June 1: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92221-Denis-Ten-amp-Friends

AFP has published an article referencing the Japanese article: Asada to sit out figure skating competitions next year: report

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Understandable

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Not unexpected.
    I will enjoy whatever performances she does.

Should she choose to compete again, I will look forward to that.

4. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have time to translate the article right now but she's going to announce that she takes one season break in the press conference today. I'll post later. I think she'll not participate in any competition in the next season but skates in shows. In the press conference it is supposed that she'll talk about this year's The Ice tour as well.

She repeatedly said "I'm satisfied with the long program in Olympics and both programs in Worlds""I did all out both in practices and in competitions""I really felt I made it" so it's understandable she takes a break or even retires. To me it seems she's exhausted so she doesn't have any motivation to start anything, neither compete in the next season or retire from competitions and makes a new start in her second life. It may be a good choice to take one year rest. According to tweets by students in her university she studies in school almost every day these days. Wish she enjoys her life as an ordinal univ student in her hometown.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

The first season without Mao since....2002? :wuzrobbed :fragile:

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

She will be so missed! She's a gift to skating. But she's been in the scene for a long time and deserves a break :)

7. rosewood

Nikkan Sports article published on May 19th
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140519-00000005-nksports-spo

(my rough translation-sorry for my bad English)
    On May 18th it was revealed that Mao Asada(23, Chukyo University) has a plan to take one season break.

She's been considering her future since she won her third title at figure skating World Championships, while she's skated in ice shows. Eyes were on her decision on her future plan since finishing the season which she wished to be the culmination of her career. It's supposed that on May 19th she'll announce her own statement when she appears in the press conference for The Ice.

She'll refresh her mind and body in the next season which starts on July 1st.

After winning her third Worlds title and taking back her position as Queen she mentioned "My body says OK, while the last one I have to hear the answer from is my mind." It seems that she's been considering her future skating in ice shows but two months were not enough to make a decision. She continues to listen to her mind till it tells a clear answer, "retire" or "continue".

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Not surprised. She's been skating non-stop since forever. I'm sure she wants to take a little bit of a rest now.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She needs a break. I hope she comes back rejuvenated the following season.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Totally understand. But still :wuzrobbed

11. floskate

floskate Vacant

This! She's a complete workaholic and it is amazing to me that she has had no really serious injury other than her recent back issues. She has earned this break and and then some, so I hope the press leave her alone to enjoy some downtime.

12. chika3

chika3 Member

13. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It often start like this. A skater planning to take one season off but then very rarely returns to competition. I will miss her!

14. rosewood

Asahi Shinbun article published on May 19th
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140519-00000047-mai-spo

(my rough translation)
    On May 19th Mao Asada(23, Chukyo University) who is a silver medalist at Vancouver Olympics in 2010 and a three-time Worlds Champion announced in a press conference that she'll not participate in any competition in the next season to take a break.

-About your future?
    MA: I've considered various things and I decided to take a rest for my body and mind.

--And the reason is?
    MA: I've done my best aiming at Sochi Olympics all through the years since finishing Vancouver Olympics. I feel at this point that I've done all out. Honestly speaking I don't have confidence that I can continue. First af all I want to take one year break and consider what my next goal is, or how Il approach it.

-You don't participate in any competition in the next season?
    MA: I'm going to take a rest physically and mentally. If I participate in a competition in the next season, I need to start preparing for it from now. To take an enough rest, i'll not participate in any competition in the next season at all.

-Any possibilities to come back after the rest?
    MA: I don't have any idea at this point. I think it suits my feelings to let me go with the flow. I take one season rest and then it's still 'half-half' on whether I'll come back or not. :D

-What do you want to do during the break?
    MA: Any idea doesn't come to my mind right now. I just feel that my Olympic season has finished. I'm doing things in front of me at this point.

-What do you feel after announcing your break?
    MA: I feel it's very new for me to take a rest, since I've participated competitions in every season since I started the life as a skater.

ETA:
    -(You don't skate as frequently as before.) Do you feel unease?
    MA: No.

-So you're looking forward to the rest?
    MA: well, yes. Ah, maybe I'd better say I don't know. I haven't experienced my life without competitions. I suppose I have things to do everyday. I'll do my best working on them.

-Do you imagine yourself skating in the next Olympics inside of your mind?
    MA: No.

-You take a rest for what?
    MA: I don't know whether I'll come back or not. Anyway I feel at this point that I can't continue in the next season. I want to take enough rest. After that I may feel I want to compete again, or may feel I've did everything and I'm satisfied with it. I don't know how I feel after the rest at this point.

-What made you decide to take a rest and not retire.
    MA: After finishing this season I felt I did it. However, I don't feel I'll retire right now. That's my honest feelings at this point. Both of my mind and body are very tired. I want to take a rest anyway.

-What is the percentages of your comeback?
    MA: Half-half. :D

-What are the things you have to do during your rest?
    MA: I started studying back in school. I'll mainly study in my daily life. I'll skate too.

-Your decision was made earlier than expected. Why?
    MA: After finishing the season, sometimes I felt I can continue, and sometimes I felt I can't. The Ice is coming soon so I kept training as usual. I've been doing the very best I could do everyday all through the years, without taking a break. When I asked myself that I can continue the same life for one more quad, the answer was no. I felt I need a rest. I also felt I need change of air. That's why I decided to take one season rest.

-What did your older sister Mai say?
    MA: She said nothing when I told her that I take one season rest.

-I suppose you took your fans into consideration when you made up your mind. What message do you want to tell your fans?
    MA: I was very happy to be supported by many people. It gave me power. Although I don't participate in competitions in the next season, I skate in shows. I'll be very happy if my fans come to shows and see me live.

-What does a rest mean after you're grown up?
    MA: When I was little, I could skate 365 days a year. I did my best since I wanted beat my rival who was my sister Mai. After my debut in the senior field I felt big pressure in the competitions. And I felt the burden was piling up. My mind and body were very tired. I felt I need a rest.

This is the video of the whole press conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUncU1BrFw

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  15. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

thank you for translation. I'm happy for her she decided to take a rest and let it go. Her body need some time to regenerate. Than I really hope to see her compete again. But I'm happy to see her in shows, so we wont be without skating from her.
    This year will be really strange. New skaters take over, but the artistry of the older ones will be at shows to enjoy until the younger develops

16. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

All the best for Mao, whatever she decides after resting this season. She has given so many great skating memories to me and many others.:cheer:

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Mao surely deserves a break. IMO She is the Gold standard in Ladies figure skating.
    In one interview before the start of this season she was asked what her plans will be after Sochi and
    she said she would like to take a long vacation to some place like Bali where no one knows her
    and just relax. Now she will have the time to do just that. Good luck to Mao, I will miss her.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't think she is going to return to competitive skating.

19. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

A well deserved rest that she certainly earned.

20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Good for her. The kid needs a break.

21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Carolina could compete successfully until the age of 27 - with ups and downs but still one of the top ladies - and so can Mao. Let her take her well deserved break and then come back with renewed strength. Mao will always shine.:swoon:

22. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

My feeling exactly. I hope she has a wonderful year off and gets to try all kinds of things she could never do before.

23. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. She's been going full-out since she was a junior and she's the only one who hasn't sat out a season since. Mao definitely needs a break. With the exception of Olympic gold she's won everything there is to win in this sport...literally. She's won gold at every Grand Prix event (all six, the first woman in history to do that), the GPF several times, nationals several times, 4CC several times and worlds several times. If she doesn't see herself competing in another Olympics to get that final gold medal, there's really nothing left for her to achieve in this sport. She's done it all.

Whatever she decides, I'm happy for her. I'll miss her ethereal grace and elegance on the ice but I'm really excited for her to take a break and experience life outside of the grind of being a competitive figure skater.

I wonder if we'll hear about Carolina's plans soon...she was on the fence about retiring/taking a break as well.

24. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Wow. I was really looking forward to seeing Mao next season. I'm sure she needs a break, but I will miss seeing her, for sure. She (and Carolina) were the highlights of this ladies season in many ways for me. But I truly wish her the best.

O-

25. NMURA

NMURA Member

According to this article, Nobuo Sato had no knowledge on Mao's decision beforehand. It looks like there is little trust between them now. Mao won't be with Sato even if she returns.

26. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Is this out of the blue or did I miss something? What went wrong? and when?

27. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Wow....she had an issue with Arutunian - IIRC - different set of circumstances, but same kind of result.

28. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I am sad to hear that. I thought Mao and coach Sato will separate after this season regardless of her plans due to his age, does this article say there is something else going on there?

29. rosewood

Well, Mr Sato repeatedly said her decision will give a big impact to her second life, so he wishes she considers enough by herself. He also said that he respects his students who are international top skaters as grown-up individuals, and he thinks he should not step into certain area inside of themselves. It was Mao to make a decision and who is responsible for her own life. Mr. Sato was the person who respects whatever she decides. I think they truly trust each other and it make them to go in this way. When she was almost giving up skating a few seasons ago, they went in the same way. Mr Sato advised her to take enough time to listen to her mind. She was encouraged when she visited Lori Nichol for choreography. She decided to continue by herself and went back to Chukyo Univ rink. It was Mr Sato who made a phonecall to her to ask about her decision. It was not problematic between them to re-start working together. And it will not, if Mao wants to work with him again after the break, if only his age doesn't matter.

As for the article, journalists tend to make his/her own article look sensational. They often make buzz around stars. That's one of the burdens Mao has had on her shoulders since she was found by media. She was truly sensational to Japanese society from the very beginning, maybe she was around 11 or so. Japanese media was very excited with a fenomenal kid. Well, I wish she'll take the burden away from her shoulders and breath freely during her break.

With Artunian, it was a little different case, I think. Mao stayed in Lake Arrowhead with her mom and Mai. Kyoko(her mon) was the only adult with them. How upset the sisters were when her mom was in serious condition. And also eyes from Japanese paparazzi were always on them. I'm sure they wanted keep their family's privacy. When Kyoko was in really serious condition(maybe it was in the year Kyoko passed away), paparazzi asked her neighbors "Is Mao's mom dying? Is mao's mom dying?" :( That's one of the most depressing episode about Asada family that I remember. Back to the topic, as we read in the interview with Artunian, he was informed of Kyoko's condition later. Recently I read an interview in which he said Mao is welcome to work together again, although the source is Japanese gossipy magazine so I don't think the source is very reliable. http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20140305-00010004-jisin-ent I know some posters who prefer Artunian to Mr. Sato inclucing you, NMURA. ;) Me wish people leave her alone anyway, since her break has just began(or it will start after The Ice in July). :saint:

30. rosewood

Interview with Mr. Sato by NHK.
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20140519/t10014549471000.html
    (my rough translation)
    Nobuo Sato"I truly want to say 'Good job till now. You must be tired'"

Mr. Sato who has worked with Mao Asada since after Vancouver Olympics said "She's done incredible amount of works till now. I think she must be very tired, both of her mind and body. She's stubborn, so much hungry for improving, and a skater whom you'd love to coach. I'm very happy she improved so much in the Olympic season. I can't find any words to express how hard she worked. I truly want to say "Good job till now. You must be very tired." He thanked her for her hard work.

As for her statement that she wants to consider whether she'll come back or retire during her break, "I wish her to take various things into the consideration to decide her future. I respect her decision whatever she decides. As she's worked hard since she was very little, I'll take it if a new idea comes to her mind," he showed gentle face.

Last edited: May 20, 2014