Mao Asada Speaks

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jebrista, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

Does anyone know what languages Mao Asada speaks?
    What language did she use when she was working with Tatiana Tarasova?

2. sonya71

sonya71 New Member

Mao is a native speaker of Japanese. I have also seen her give halting interviews in English so I think she can manage very basic English conversation.
    There was a Russian/Japanese translator to help communication with Tatiana, but their relationship was probably primarily based on 'body language' (lots of eye contact, hugging, facial expression, bodily gestures). They might also have used English as well.

Mr. Sato was probably the first figure skating coach since the age of 15 that could and did fully explain to Mao through the usage of words how exactly she had to skate, and it seems that she didn't 'get' what exactly he was getting at for a while, probably as she was so used to being coached without the mediation of language. I read somewhere that there was a stage where she didn't quite know what he was talking about, and then a stage where she understood but couldn't do what he was instructing, but I think they are communicating fine now on many different levels, and Mao is now being able to respond to Mr. Sato's bidding. But he's really a very careful and precise coach and only gives instructions incrementally, as well as being a very strict and exacting coach. I read somewhere that early in their relationship, during a practice session, Mao started to go off to start skating in the middle of Mr. Sato explaining something about what he wanted her to do, and he got angry and shouted 'I'm not done yet!' And, I'm sure he would not do this now, but Yukari also said in an interview that Mr. Sato got angry at Yukari for some reason or another and threw a chair on the ice during practice to try and get her to listen. :eek:

Getting instructed in Japanese is really making a big difference in how Mao responds in interviews, I feel. During the time that she was getting instructed by non-Japanese coaches, when she had to respond to interviews in Japanese after her routine, she would sometimes say something that didn't quite answer the question (e.g., Q: 'How do you feel about your performance today?', Mao: 'I will have to look at the protocols before I know if I got an under-rotation call or not, but I would like to practice even harder for the next competition and do better next time.' :lol:) Of course, it must be very hard for skaters to fully focus on the interviewer's words, as sometimes, the questions are vacuous and they must have so much adrenaline pumping through them. But Mao is actually much better at responding to questions and she seems more at ease with verbalizing her feelings now. I think it's really helping her.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Did Mao not have Japanese coaches prior to being 15.

As far as I know she speaks Japanese and basic English.

4. sonya71

sonya71 New Member

:confused:

Read above more carefully:

5. AndyWarhol

Sorry for my mistake. Deeply apologetic.

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

You should be extremely sorry Andy! You know that Mao, prior to age 15, had the greatest and most fabulous coach and Yoko Ono lookalike of all time, Machiko Yamada. Machiko is of course the woman who reared and coached Midori Ito and the present coach of Kanako Murakami.

Before being coached by Machiko in Nagoya, Mao was coached by Yuko Monna whose students at that time also included Miki Ando.

7. AndyWarhol

This is why I was confused. Too much weed in the factory has messed with my brain.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

9. AndyWarhol

We are good looking people